What will this corner be?

demccrae

We are about to update this area at the end of our family room. For the past 20+ years, this location was home to an upright piano. New flooring will be installed and then...what? It’s very much a thruway from the front door to the rear yard and the wall area to the right of the door is only 10” wide. The door un latches in the middle so we don't want anything permanent attached to the wall in case we need to open both sides of the French door. The opposite end of this room has a fireplace and tv so furniture will naturally be angled away from this space. How do we furnish this area?

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elaine Doremus Resumes Written

Will people coming into this space have any storage needs? I like more space than stuff, so I would leave this space as is. If you really want something here, how about a tall 10" wide storage unit? Another option is two rows of hooks (one for coats and one lower for kids - coats and backpacks) in case people need to hang items up as they come in. Also shallow cubbies for other items as people come in.

Save    
Angel 18432

My suggestion would be some kind of cabinet/credenza storage unit.

Save    
demccrae

The opposite end of this hall has the entrance that people come into our house. It has both a storage bench, mirror hooks and a closet. This door is to the rear yard and shoes would probably be the only clothing taken off.

Save    
Kate

I would just add a demilune shaped credenza for ease of walking around and no corners to bump into. It doesn’t have to be centered, you can scoot it closer to the stair end and center a picture over it. Add a lamp and maybe a plant or basket on the French door end.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Lisa Caudill Designs

A beautiful full length mirror just past the thermostat, a plant for the left side of the mirror, a floor chandelier for the right that foes behind a small arm chair with a small round side table for a vase with flowers to the left if the chair in front if the mirror but to the right. The arm chair should be angled to face the back door. Similar to thus inspo but to coordinate with your space and rearranged some on the placement. the chair and side table should all be cleared if the open door.

Save    
HU-187528210

A pretty doormat. Small console with some pictures and flowers... maybe a mirror above it.

Save    
Susan Murin

I would remove the wainscot and put a long narrow console table there....black would be nice, to tie in the wrought iron railings. Then style it, perhaps with a gallery wall above, an orchid or other pretty plant, etc. If you google the terms long narrow console table you will see there are lots of options.

Save    
granom

A larger rug for sure. I think a small console, a mirror (or picture) and a plant. Maybe a basket for the shoes.

Save    
Lyn Nielson

is that recliner part of a living room seating? I would get a bigger area rug and extend the living room furniture into that area. you are limiting yourself by designating areas.

Save    
KW

You said new flooring being installed - is that for hard surface only or is carpet coming out & you’ll have the same flooring throughout that room? If so, your furniture arrangement options in the family room and the thruway space are greatly expanded since you’ll have eliminated the carpet / hard floor border.

Save    
victoria1945

It’s a lovely space. For me, the hanging wall painting, window blinds, curtains, tiny rug, all clash, create visual business, and take away from the beauty of the French door. I’d place a neutral colored rug that spans the length of both French doors since they both open. Just pick one door covering option (blinds OR curtains). I’d hang a large mirror above the wainscot area to reflect the outdoors, and place a cubby style storage for the shoes lying next to the current small rug with a small storage ottoman cube next to it for sitting to get shoes on and off.

Save    
Tara

A bench with storage for shoes.

Save    
decoenthusiaste

I think another tall piece like a bookcase, secretary or etagere would be nice there.

Save    
demccrae

Thanks for all of your suggestions! Much appreciated!

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Is a Kitchen Corner Sink Right for You?
We cover all the angles of the kitchen corner, from savvy storage to traffic issues, so you can make a smart decision about your sink
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen Confidential: 13 Ideas for Creative Corners
Discover clever ways to make the most of kitchen corners to get extra storage and additional seating
Full Story
Decorating Guides 12 Smart Ideas for Decorating Empty Corners
Fill a neglected corner with something useful, attractive or both, using these dozen thoughtful decorating strategies
Full Story