SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serendipity7

Transitional Livingroom

serendipity7
3 years ago

Can anyone advise me on what kind of accent pieces to add to this antique sofa? I want to create a transitional Livingroom space? It is 33” high.

Comments (122)

• User
    3 years ago

You can always swag a light fixture from a rosette so it will descend where you want it, and multi-branching free-form chandeliers that are modern will disguise not. be central to furniture below.

• housegal200
    3 years ago

I like your fabulous sofa floating with a table behind it. Add a small round side table between your two chairs for airiness and function, which look fine where you put them.

A modern rug, modern lighting (finishes of table or floor lamps should either match new ceiling fixtures or wood from your sofa/dining set), and a modern art work would give you the transitional feeling you want.

I like all the lighter geometric rugs with just a big of black. The one you chose with the gold tones would look great against your golden oak floors. Art work palette, if you're treating yourself to new art to go with that rug--gold, greige, black in bold pattern:

Minerals I Fine Art Giant Canvas Print, Yellow, Gray, 54"X54" · More Info

Light fixtures should have brass/gold finish (or black).

Living room:

Luxury Modern Chandelier, Miami Series, Olde Bronze · More Info

Somthing oblong for your rectangular table. Just make sure to match finishes. (This one may be antique bronze, not black as atomic light is.)

Agnes 5-Light LED Island Fixture, Matte Black and Brushed Nickel · More Info

• serendipity7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, we are rethinking reupholstering the chairs. They are extraordinarily comfortable and do love them . Husband says the quote was closer $1400 not $1000 but we will shop around. If we proceed, what type of fabric and colour should we aim for?
    I love the lighting you’ve suggesting and artwork. I’ve always been reluctant to go with too dark of carpet because with 8 foot ceilings and surrounded by forest, I’ve always worried it’ll feel too dark at certain points of the day. However, with the lighting suggested, that problem might be easily solved.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Ok. That’s a beginning. I will put initial sketch together later today but I will need more details. I have an idea or two. Bbl

• housegal200
    3 years ago

Well, maybe someone can suggest upholstery fabrics that coordinate with whatever rug and possible art you choose. Just keep in mind the gold of your floors, one of your "givens."

• serendipity7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We both quite like the black asymmetrical chandelier housegal suggested. Progress.

• housegal200
    3 years ago

An abstract gold black fabric with a rich, soft feel would look good--not too much defined patterned, though, because it will limit your choice of rugs. Personally, I always start with art work since I have a lot of it already, and that isn't something you even mentioned. Just coordinate upholstery and rug for now. That's plenty.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Richloom-Gold-Metallic-Black-Gray-Beige-Brown-Abstract-Upholstery-Drapery-Fabric-/303742711699

As for lighting, make sure to read up on the ideal measurements for lights in any room. Ceiling height, table dimensions, room size, are all important to consider. Also make sure to check that finishes match. I didn't check on the finishes of my lighting suggestions. Here's one article on what size light to choose and how to hang it:

https://www.lumens.com/how-tos-and-advice/how-to-choose-the-right-size-ceiling-light.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=DSA_Google-Build-Cat_Lighting&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyN-DBhCDARIsAFOELTkJP97oL94IEG-GfEGIot1h8Ugp__wD8vCH4vAY0cMedKE5duPeLmAaAn_1EALw_wcB

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Here is beginning to get room set up correct. I don’t know how openings to foyer and kitchen sit. I guessed they were on foyer wall. I need details for this wall. Length of each wall either side of openings. Also, in one photo there appears to be a pop out? Need that info too. Where is it and what is width and depth (depth being front edge to back). Is there a deck off long window wall? How often do you use the table? How many do you seat every day? I wanted to put the table right behind the sofa. You could use it like a sofa table. If you don’t need to seat more than 6 every day?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

So getting basics down first is so important because you can’t know rug sizes, wall space available for art etc etc until you have main furniture layouts selected. Is the bay window at front of house?

• amuzyczka
    3 years ago

Flo, I like your arrangement but flipped around! I think if the couch faces the bay window the light fixture on that side would be right over the coffee table and the light fixture on the sliding door side would be centered over the dining room table.

• housegal200
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Now that you mentioned your B & B, experiment with different layouts before you buy any furnishings. While I liked the chairs at the entry with floating sofa, if guests come in through that entry regularly, you may need some other way to place your furniture to change the flow. Options to try out for a few days to see what feels right:

--Sofa floating forward from the far wall with your two big chairs tilted side by side facing dining room with reading lamp place between sofa end and chair, kind of like this but imagine the sofa floated forward on the right.

--Sofa floating forward from the far wall, one big chair with back to bay window and the other facing the bay window. Advantage of this arrangement is you have a comfy chair by the window for reading which is something you said you'd like to do in the room. Place a floor reading lamp between sofa and the big chair by the window.

--Sofa floated to face bay window. Both chairs in front of bay with plenty of space behind and facing the sofa. (I like this least because the sofa will make less of a dramatic impact.)

If your B & B guests come in through the entry of that room, then a door-facing sofa is a very welcoming thing to see as they enter your home.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I got sidetracked but I was working on the flip version. It is a bit tight in front of the bay window but it can work that way. Waiting for more input from serendipity7 on some of my questions.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Merely asking if 2 chairs could be as they are, and one in a liked pattern... ?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Here is option 2. I also put the Barristers bookcase further down toward the big windows. And a comfy chaise lounge to gaze outside and read on that side of room too. Or the table gets that spot in front of windows.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Option 3. If you have places for some of your dining chairs it would open up views quite a bit for most days. When you need more, you bring them in. Best would be a pair on each side of table with sides that face windows open.

• serendipity7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Our guests arrive through our front door and our designated Airbnb space does not require them to go through the areas we are speaking of. Guests stay on our second floor which is accessed by the stairs immediately in front of them upon arrival. However, the drawing in Option 1 (by Flo) reflects accurately what guests would see to the left of them as they enter our home.
    To answer some of your other questions:
    . The bay window is facing south and is indeed at the front of our home.
    . Beyond the full set of windows at the other end of the room there is a deck. It extends outdoors beyond the full length of our windows (13.9 ft). As you face these north facing windows the wall space on the left side is 17” and on the right side it 21”.
    . Standing in the room and facing the foyer there are 2 different pop outs. The closest to the wall is 30” and second one 12”. The remaining wall is also 12”.
    .Moving to the opposite side of the foyer opening the flat part of wall is 13” followed by a 54” pop out, and then a flat wall to the kitchen opening is 11”.
    . On the other side of the kitchen opening you have a flat 11” wall, followed by a pop out of 30” to the north wall.
    . All the pop outs are 6” in depth.

I will post more later.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

I have a 'strange' question - do you have any lock, any security measure so they don't enter your own space?

• serendipity7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Somewhat more accurate photo of floor planks. Second photo near bay window, facing foyer. Third, a somewhat better perspective about what is happening on wall with pop outs. Duct work hiding behind them.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

That’s very helpful. Btw, that is a gorgeous mirror in your entry area. Flooring is beautiful. Lots of great features. I will play a bit more later tonite!!

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Just generally speaking...avoid any rug with too much white/light background ..especially in a dining space ...but pick a rug you really love... in colors you love...as it usually becomes the color inspiration for the rest lf the room

serendipity7 thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    3 years ago

Since everything so far is neutral...a colorful rug may suggest a color for an accent wall...to define a certain area in the room...as well

serendipity7 thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    3 years ago

I agree the foyer mirror is very special...what does the wall across from the front door look like?...it would be nice if you could see the mirror directly from upon entry

• housegal200
    3 years ago

Just sticking my head in the door one last time. Your chairs are fabulous. I don't think you should replace them, especially since your husband loves them. If you keep two pieces he already likes, then it'll be easier to get creative with your lighting, and he already likes the rug you picked.

Figure out your optimal layout--Flo's options are great--get the rug you like, new lighting, then spring for reupholstering those chairs later on. (I've reupolstered/slipcovered the same well proportioned, down sofa several times over decades in different houses. The sofa is just too well made and comfortable to give up. When I die, I want to be transported to my final destination on that sofa!) Your room and your furnishings are great. Position them well, and the other stuff is just decor to have fun with.

serendipity7 thanked housegal200
  • serendipity7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

everdebz- No, we do not! Our guests are well screened and many become like family to us after meeting. After 4 years of running this side business, we have nothing but positive experiences to report. We’ve met some of most interesting people from young to old, and consider ourselves privilege to have had their company.💜

• everdebz
    3 years ago

I would say, of course, and good for you! Another discussion had me thinking about that type of thing.

• serendipity7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am deeply grateful for each and every contributor on this thread who has helped me construct a mental picture of how this space might be redefined. I wish I could send you all a bouquet of flowers!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I would put a big piece of art on the far wall of the space so when you enter, that art just sings! It would help showcase the room and since it's the main wall, this is the place for it.

"The Big Sunset" Print By Maurice Sapiro, 28"x42" · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Couple more.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

You can specify size and pick look you love.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Of course, art is very personal, but since you have folks coming into your home, something that draws them in would be fantastic. But, of course, you have to love it yourself most of all!!

• serendipity7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I realized this morning Flo that it probably wouldn't be wise to put the couch facing the window. I think the previous owners took a short cut when reupholstering and put a far less superior product on that back of the couch. I'm guess it is a very cheap leather grain or even vinyl. :-( Noticable different from the front.

I quite like the first picture as well as the second. Two different flavours. The first certainly supports the mood we want to create for our home as a retreat place from the frantic business of life. It doesn't however throw me into a mess wondering what kind of a rug you'd put with it. I suspect you wouldn't want it competing too much with the art.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Having the couch with its back to the window would have the added plus of natural light behind you for reading in the daytime

• shelleysmith999
    3 years ago

Lovely sofa! Looks like you’ve got lots of great advice and I can’t wait to see this room evolve!!!

• serendipity7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We've discovered the benefit of the couch being on the long wall is that from every vantage point of seating, you are able to see both the front and back outdoors without straining, Given the natural beauty of the area, its such a bonus to be able to say this. The light is not significantly different for reading..

• housegal200
    3 years ago

So that placement feels right for you. Good. You have options about your chairs, either facing the window or one at each end of the coffee table, or both tilted as in a previous photo I posted with backs to the window. Good luck!

P.S. If you're planning to order a rug online, order the smallest size as a test sample so you can easily send it back before ordering the larger size. Put it against the floor, walls, furnishings, art work to make sure it harmonizes with what you have.

• User
    3 years ago

Okay, so if you like the sofa best against the wall, how about moving the very large artwork that appears to be a harbor scene — it has lots of blue and gold-ish tones — to hang above the sofa. Take away the corner hutch and try 2 of those floor lamps on either side of the sofa

Rust SOHO 1 Light Floor Lamp with 3-Way Switch · More Info

A rug like this on the floor

Safavieh Valencia Collection VAL108 Rug, Blue/Multi, 8' X 10' · More Info

Ceiling

Filiali AC11533 Chandelier, Brass/Black · More Info

Or maybe instead of putting the blue on the floor you could put the gold tones on the floor

Bashian Alba Multi Area Rug, 5'x7'6" · More Info

and the blue on the chairs

Blue Pineapples Woven Matelasse Upholstery Grade Fabric By The Yard · More Info

Textured Clear Glass Shades Ceiling Fixture, Brass · More Info

?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

It’s a very simple project to replace backing on sofa. So think about that. But if you are going to put sofa on long wall then placement of table is critical. So let’s think about that. I still like art on long wall probably over sofa. I love the MCM light fixtures as juxtaposition to heavy woods and traditional style of sofa and table. I will play with layouts as you have suggested tomorrow.

• serendipity7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The other thing I’ve really appreciated with the placement of couch on long wall is not having fight to get behind chairs or a couch to pull to vertical blinds down on the bay window every night. I love the ease of access now.

• serendipity7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thoughts about these chairs (4) with fresh fabric? Dimensions are h 29.5 x w 23 x d 22”. Our couch height is 33”.

• User
    3 years ago

I wouldn’t pick them to sit in if I had a choice of seating when I entered a room. I like upholstered arms. Might feel differently if you told me you live in a very hot climate.

• serendipity7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Great feedback. Thanks.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Are you still looking for chairs to add to the couch seating area?...for reading ?...i think we may all have different ideas about what works for reading...what are the ideal requirements to read comfortably for you?...how important is flexibility...to move them around?..or perhaps add a few when you have people over?

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

To me the big couch does not look that comfortable for slouching down into it ...for a long read...is it cushy ?..personally i love recliners for reading...so i can adjust from sitting up to complete recline ...even rotate....with little effort..

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

These new ones look a little more like dining chairs than reading chairs...

• serendipity7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We won't be able to reupholster for many months yet due to covid19, so while we are content to wait, I'm still open to other possibilities in the meantime. Yes, ultimately for me, comfort is paramount when reading and lounging.

• User
    3 years ago

If you can’t reupholster for many months, are you looking to fill in with some inexpensive seating until then? Something you would order online? If so, how many seats do you need and will you want to be able to use them elsewhere in your house after you’ve re-upholstered your faves?

• serendipity7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No, we'll likely just keep things as they are. We are not receiving any guests at the moment anyways.

• User
    3 years ago

Ok. I was going to suggest rocking chairs, because they are almost always a draw for grabbing a seat and reading, and can easily be placed almost anywhere in a house and be useful, and not look out of place.

This is an appealing cheap rocking chair if you end up looking for one, and with a nice throw over one arm, actually would not look out of place in the vicinity of your sofa:

Safavieh Bali Rocking Chair · More Info

This other one is not my definition of cheap, although it’s not over the moon pricey, and think that it too could fit into an eclectic space with a mix of elements that included your sofa

Gravitas Upholstered Vinyl Lounge Chair, Black · More Info

• User
    2 years ago

I saw these chairs on sale and thought of your room

Hudson Mid-Century Button-Tufted Chair, Walnut, Beige · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with those chairs [and height within a few inches of sofa]... leaning back a bit. Can the seat have ultimate in padding?

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals