SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bananastand

Total rose newbie in zone 5b- are dead canes normal in spring?

bananastand
3 years ago

I bought a new home from a master gardener in summer 2019. There are two Seven Sisters rambling rose bushes that climb trellises, and another that I actually don't know the variety but it's a small, deep red, very spicy fragranced rose. I don't remember what they did during our first spring in the house, but I do know they gave us beautiful blooms in the summer. Last fall, I did some searching in this forum about pruning, because the Seven Sisters in particular had gotten a bit out of hand in their rambling and were sprawling into other perennial beds and poking me while trying to get out to cut and weed. So, last November (after the first frost), I went and did some pretty aggressive pruning of the Seven Sisters to get them a bit more contained to their trellises. Now, this spring in zone 5b-- I am going to check their spring progress and seeing only brown and dead canes. As I said, I don't remember if they would have been brown in spring 2020 with no pruning...... did I kill the roses? Or will they bounce back, perhaps a bit later in the spring? Do I look for new growth at the base? As a point of comparison, the smaller dark red rose bush I have did NOT get any pruning, and it is also showing nearly all brown canes. One of the canes is still green, but that's it. That one did not get pruned. Thanks for any guidance! BTW, I am in southwestern Wisconsin (USA), and we did not have a particularly harsh winter for what that's worth.

Comments (9)