Stray cat story with a happy ending

Alisande

This gorgeous cat showed up over the winter--weighing just about nothing under all that fur. I fed her and tried to keep her warm with headed pet disks. I didn't bring her inside because I have three cats, one of which doesn't get along with the other two, and that's more than enough drama. The stray stuck around and gained some weight. I called my usual contacts at the shelter, etc., but no one had reported her missing.

Because of the pandemic I hadn't been seeing anyone in the cold weather, but when the weather warmed this week I was chatting with my son outdoors when I pointed out the cat and said I didn't know what to do about her. She really needed a home. I didn't want her to have to go through another winter as a stray. He said he thought she might have belonged to people who lived on our road but moved away about a year ago. He gave me their name and said maybe I could try to find them.

Our friend the internet . . . Their name wasn't unusual, but I started by Googling it. LinkedIn sent me to a place one of them worked. It turned out they hadn't worked there in years, but the person who answered the phone knew someone who might have kept in touch with them. The next thing I knew, I got a call from the woman I was looking for. Yes, they were missing a cat. They'd moved out of state, and couldn't find the cat to take her with them. They'd been back a couple of times, looking for her.

I emailed this picture, and yes--it was their cat. The family--mom, dad, kids--were thrilled to have found the cat, and they made the 4-hour drive immediately to come and get her.. They picked her up last night.

They were overjoyed to be reunited with the cat who'd been part of their family since they rescued her as a tiny kitten 11 years ago (can you imagine how adorable she was?), and I was almost as happy as they were.

SaveComment42Like31
Comments (42)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sal 60 Hanzlik

What a nice ending and thank you for caring for her.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Alisande
sprtphntc7a

that is so unbelievably AWESOME!!! So happy for everyone!!!

Annie Deighnaugh

Thank you for taking care of the cat and going through the effort to find her family!

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Alisande
nickel_kg

A good news story -- thank you for your role and for brightening the day! :-)

lindaohnowga

That cat is beautiful. Thank you for taking care of her and going through the effort to find her owners. I'm happy for them, for you, and for the cat.

norar_il

I love stories with a happy ending.

rob333 (zone 7a)

Thank you for the effort of fattening her up. Thank you for caring. Thank you for your many efforts to find them. You're good people.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Alisande
nicole___

That is a cool story......and.....I love happy endings! Your awesome to have looked so hard for his family. You've earned your angel wings with this one!!!!! ♥

bpath

That’s a wonderful story with a happy ending.

Lucille

Alisande what a wonderful ending, and how awesome you are for taking the time and effort to see that this poor baby was reunited with her family!!

lgmd_gaz

What a wonderful story! So very happy for you, the cat and I am sure the cats grateful family!

Fun2BHere

Thank you for your extra efforts that resulted in a happy ending.

sheilajoyce_gw

What a great story and a wonderfully kind Alisand.

sleeperblues

Thank you for taking care of her, Alisande, and going above and beyond to contact her owners. Love a feel good story!

Rusty again

Thank you for sharing this story! It's good to know there are still people 'out there' who care and are willing to take that extra step!

Rusty

lily316

Gorgeous cat and a wonderful ending thanks to your kindness.

maifleur03

Thank you for doing the research to get her back to her family. Even greater thanks to them that they wanted her back.

murraysmom Zone 6a OH

I would call that an Easter miracle!!! Everything came together just right and it started with your loving heart! What a great story!! I can just imagine the family's happiness at getting their kitty back!!! They sure are lucky!!

patriciae_gw

What a wonderful story.

Jasdip

Alisande what a wonderful story! I was thinking that your son was going to take her. So remarkable that the family was able to be tracked.

blfenton

I am so glad that the family were reunited with their beloved pet. Thanks for making the effort.

marilyn_c

So nice she was reunited with her family. She is a beautiful cat. I couldn't find one of my cats when we moved. I made two trips back to find her. The first trip....no luck. The second trip, I found her. A total of almost 700 miles.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by Alisande
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)

Nothing better than a happy ending! She is certainly a beautiful and, I am sure, happy-to-be-home cat!

maire_cate

What a beautiful cat and I had a big smile on my face the entire time I read your post. How wonderful that she was re-united with her family and knowing you - I knew you'd do everything possible to discover her family!

I'm curious though, how did the cat react when they got together?

Alisande

I had the cat in a carrier on my porch when they arrived at 8:30 p.m. My thought was that they could make a safe transfer to their carrier in the confines of their van, but the husband went straight to my carrier, opened it, and picked her up. I was afraid she'd spook and struggle to be free, but she seemed perfectly happy. He said he had a secure hold on her. She looks like a big cat, but she's actually quite small under all that fur. We all chatted a little, and he was giving her lots of loving attention the whole time.

4 Likes Save    
chloebud

You are my hero, Alisande! How LUCKY she was to show up at your house, and what a special thing you did to find her family. I likely would have cried a little to witness the reunion, even though I know how cats can seem unaffected. How I wish all the stories had the same ending!

ETA - No doubt she misses you some!

Alisande

Chloe, aw . . . I never thought of that. I know I missed her this morning. The porch seemed so empty without her presence. But I'll be able to hang the hummingbird feeders without worrying about them, and I'll be able to sit on my porch this spring and summer without worrying about ticks. And best of all, I won't worry about her homelessness.

5 Likes Save    
mdln

You are a true HERO!

Thank you for helping a lost kitty find her family.

bpath

Did you ever learn her name?

Save    
Lindsey_CA

I love a cat story with a happy ending, and this one was great! Thank you for taking such good care of the cat.

Judy Good

So sweet and Thank you!!!!

Alisande

Bpath, yes, her name is Autumn. Seems to suit her coloring.

1 Like Save    
bpath

It’s a perfect name for her. Did you name her as well? Or just “not our cat”?

1 Like Save    
adellabedella_usa

Great news!

I've been impressed by how many pets get returned to their families here locally because of Facebook and Nextdoor. Microchipping is popular too and most vets and pet stores will do a free check. Some get returned that way.

murraysmom Zone 6a OH

We have a new woman who took over our local SPCA and she posts a picture on Facebook of every animal they pick up with the caption "Is this pet yours?" . Many of the animals get reunited!!

2 Likes Save    
Alisande

I mostly called her affectionate nicknames. I was trying not to get too attached. (Good luck with that.)

Yes, sharing information about lost and found animals is one of the best parts of social media. I belong to a Lost & Found group for our county, and share posts about lost pets with my friends. I also see and share lots of posts from two shelters about specific animals looking for homes.

1 Like Save    
chloebud

Autumn really is a perfect name for her!

I see lots of posts on Nextdoor.com about missing pets. It's really helped with getting them home again.

2 Likes Save    
lily316

I hope Autumn's parents keep in touch with you with pics of her. After all, you were her fairy godmother.

Save    
sjerin

This is delightful to read. Thanks for taking the extra steps to find her family, Alisande.

Save    
graywings123

Awwwww, wonderful story. They didn't put up any "missing cat" signs on the trips them made looking for her?

Save     Thanked by Alisande
Alisande

I guess not. This is a very rural area, with not much traffic on our dirt road. They said they asked a neighbor to keep an eye out for her, but the only report they received was that she was spotted hunting rabbits. She must have some serious hunting skills! Although she was awfully underweight when she turned up here. Hunting must be difficult in deep snow.

It's so lucky that Autumn stayed in the immediate area. Years ago we were taking care of a friend's cat when my DH let her out accidentally and she disappeared. I put out a notice to all my contacts and ran an ad in the paper. Three months later I got a call from a woman who had found her a month earlier--9 miles from my house! She was in love with the cat, and the original owner was going through a difficult time and said she could keep her. So that, too had a happy ending.

1 Like Save    
joyfulguy

Thank you for your having seen a need and taking action to preserve life for the cat, Alisande.

Then feeling that there might be a more extended need that you might be able to arrange, to improve her life by possibly reuniting her with a family and that desiring family (ready to make an almost immediate 4 hour drive to achieve) with her.

And doing major research, investigation and investing effort to bring it off.

This time your effort paid off: sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, successively, it tends to make some folks decide to cut back on making such investments.

Now that many of us suffer the boredom, along with the frustration, of covid, might be a good time for us to investigate some possibilities of helping build a happier community, investing some love, with the hope that it may help others find some better fulfillment as this family enjoyed who'd lost their beloved pet.

Thank you for offering us an example that's worthy of investing in ourselves, Alisande.

Good wishes for a more fruitful, friendly and interesting spring, folks, with some helpfulness thrown in.

ole joyfuelled

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Pets 10 Tips for Keeping Indoor Cats Healthy and Happy
It's National Cat Day: Ask not what your cat can do for you (because it will ignore you) but what you can do for your cat
Full Story
Pets Dealing With Pet Messes: An Animal Lover's Story
Cat and dog hair, tracked-in mud, scratched floors ... see how one pet guardian learned to cope and to focus on the love
Full Story
Life Is Cabin Fever Real? Share Your Story
Are snow piles across the U.S. leading to masses of irritability and boredom? We want to hear your experience
Full Story