SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Stray cat story with a happy ending

Alisande
3 years ago

This gorgeous cat showed up over the winter--weighing just about nothing under all that fur. I fed her and tried to keep her warm with headed pet disks. I didn't bring her inside because I have three cats, one of which doesn't get along with the other two, and that's more than enough drama. The stray stuck around and gained some weight. I called my usual contacts at the shelter, etc., but no one had reported her missing.

Because of the pandemic I hadn't been seeing anyone in the cold weather, but when the weather warmed this week I was chatting with my son outdoors when I pointed out the cat and said I didn't know what to do about her. She really needed a home. I didn't want her to have to go through another winter as a stray. He said he thought she might have belonged to people who lived on our road but moved away about a year ago. He gave me their name and said maybe I could try to find them.

Our friend the internet . . . Their name wasn't unusual, but I started by Googling it. LinkedIn sent me to a place one of them worked. It turned out they hadn't worked there in years, but the person who answered the phone knew someone who might have kept in touch with them. The next thing I knew, I got a call from the woman I was looking for. Yes, they were missing a cat. They'd moved out of state, and couldn't find the cat to take her with them. They'd been back a couple of times, looking for her.

I emailed this picture, and yes--it was their cat. The family--mom, dad, kids--were thrilled to have found the cat, and they made the 4-hour drive immediately to come and get her.. They picked her up last night.

They were overjoyed to be reunited with the cat who'd been part of their family since they rescued her as a tiny kitten 11 years ago (can you imagine how adorable she was?), and I was almost as happy as they were.

Comments (42)