SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
user123098

Should I change my counter top

D C
3 years ago

I recently moved into a new place and had a kitchen island built.

I chose this unique piece of onyx marble at the warehouse because I really liked the slab on its own and wanted it to be the highlight/feature, but it turned out to be sticking out like a sore thumb in my home.

I think that the problems are that 1. the marble is too warm in tone compared to everything else, especially my bath stools that are on the grey side 2. there‘s too much movement going on 3. I shouldn’t have covered the side in marble as well 4. it clashes with the default green backsplash 5. it just looks really old-fashioned

I really dislike it so much but spent so much of my renovation budget on it, that it’s such a heart pain if I were to change it now especially when it’s new. I feel so discouraged that my first remodeling turned out this way and I don’t feel like having people over.

Is there a way I can make it look better or grow to like it? I’ve considered tearing it out and just replacing with a plain white counter top so it’s seamless with my kitchen counter, but I’m not sure either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (60)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

It's the dog. The dog throws everything off.

• Melissa R
    3 years ago

agree it's the dog lol

not sure what color backsplash to do (I'll leave that to the designers) but I wanted to give you a visual so you can see that it's the splash and not your beautiful counter.

D C thanked Melissa R
  • Related Discussions

What color granite counter top should I choose?

Q

Comments (3)
    I have a light countertop with my wood cabinet, but with your backsplash I think the darker one would look very nice. Sometime the backsplash will get damaged when removing the countertop or the new countertop is a different thickness causing a gap. Be sure to discuss this with your countertop person. You will have more options if you change the backsplash too, but there is no need to if your countertop place can make the present one work.
    ...See More

how do I change the color of a fountainhead counter top

Q

Comments (1)
    doubt you can change the color, although miracle method says they can. Basically a two part paint system. miracle method
    ...See More

Should I redo the cabinets and counter top?

Q

Comments (23)
    Granite in a kitchen in a house valued at $100,000? NOPE, that's a waste of money. You won't begin to recoup what you spend for it. And everyone is changing out their tile countertops, at least from what I see on this site. (It's that grout, who wants to clean the cooking dreck out of the grout?) I would consider NOT buying a house with tiled countertops in the kitchen, all other things being equal. Some people really prefer stained cabinets over painted. I can like the look of either, but unless you get a true pro to do the job ($$$), it's going to look cheapened. Those cabinets look fine to me, and would not dissuade me from making an offer. It's the curb appeal (driveway) you may want to be focusing on. Oh, and see if you can bleach the floor tile grout in the shower as white as possible - or see if there is a way to make it all look like it's supposed to be one light sand or gray color of grout...
    ...See More

can I paint my cabinets white with this counter tops ?

Q

Comments (27)
    Thank you again. I am thinking more darker or intense color which would be more cooler. I would definitely get couple of samples to see how they will look with my counter. I think I m actually going to go with the cream/white dove cabinets and charcoal grey island with white/Creme backsplash. In the end if we decide that we have a budget to do something with the floors, which tone of wood flooring or wood like tiles will go with this color choice ??? I personally like dark grey oak floors but right next to kitchen is living and foyer with light bamboo floors!!!!
    ...See More
  • skunst2017
    3 years ago

I think the counter is gorgeous and elegant ...and of course the backsplash does not belong ...at all !

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I agree the backsplash but more than that get all the stuff off the counter and I think the money would have been better spent on better storage since it seems you do not have enough . What is the other counter IMO it also does not really work. Sorry but this is what happens when there is no complete plan.

D C thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • D C
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone for your helpful and encouraging input! I feel much better now and the comments about the backsplash totally make sense.

The other counter (backsplash included) is what already came with the house, and it was quite neutral and in good condition hence I decided to keep it. I was contemplating switching out the backsplash but some contractors told me that meant having to tear down all the cabinets.

• D C
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I do have proper and sufficient storage, but haven’t fully/properly organized the items on the counter, hence its looking quite messy. But that’s an easy fix.

• D C
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m very much inclined to change the backsplash based on everyone‘s comments, but I’m not sure what colour to pick. Does anyone have any suggestions?

(thanks Melissa for your help with the mock ups! I was leaning towards white at first but can see here that it looks quite stark)

• Freelancewriter
    3 years ago

I'm going out on a limb here and disagree with necessarily replacing the backsplash. I LOVE your marble and I personally think the remaining countertop is what looks out of place. Next to the beautiful warm tones and movement of the marble, the other countertop looks stark and not very intentional. The white cabinets above are okay (to me) since they are on the vertical. It looks to me like there is a blue-gray in the marble that the backsplash ties into. I'd keep it. I recently had a similar issue. Painted my cabinets a warm, putty gray then changed the granite. The stone ended up with very cool gray veining. It was super jarring at first. I was sure I was going to have to repaint everything. I ended up with a rustic white subway tile backsplash with warm gray grout that tied it all together. Good luck! I'd love to see pics of whatever you decide.

D C thanked Freelancewriter
  • HU-954817888
    3 years ago

Pull a color out of the stone for the backslash. The marble is beautiful!

D C thanked HU-954817888
  • Lyn Nielson
    3 years ago

paint the wall above it a color that blends more in tone and hue.

D C thanked Lyn Nielson
  • HU-187528210
    3 years ago

What are the surrounding countertops? Can you just do those for the backsplash?

• marylut
    3 years ago

Aqua/chocolate/gold color mix is fine, but your aqua shade is just too clear and intense. So, it grabs the attention.

D C thanked marylut
  • marylut
    3 years ago

If you can’t replace the backsplash, or paint over it, as a last resort add aqua/tan accessories to make the color combo look intentional

D C thanked marylut
  • D C
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone for your ideas! I really appreciate it :) I'm still deciding, but leaning towards trying to change the backsplash. I still have no idea what colour would work, so I'm thinking to just purchase some adhesives to see what works best before changing the backsplash entirely.

I've put together some rough and unprofessionally edited mock-ups and would appreciate if anyone could help to vote for which they think would suit my place best? Leaning towards a dark grey, but open to any ideas/thoughts/feedback.

• Therese N
    3 years ago

Try the suggested fixes first. It would be a shame to go though all that just to change it again - on the other hand, if you still regret it after trying the backsplash, etc., then go with your gut. I love the pendants with it. I think it’s worth trying it a little longer. 🤞🏻 good luck.

D C thanked Therese N
  • Therese N
    3 years ago

Ps, not sure why they told you that the uppers would need to be “torn out”. At worst, they would be taken down and re-installed.

D C thanked Therese N
  • Melissa R
    3 years ago

agree that cabinets usually don't need to be taken down just to change a backsplash. don't get a busy stone. I really think a plain subway would work well. hard to give advice on color without seeing your lower cabinets.

D C thanked Melissa R
  • Kate
    3 years ago

Rather than get an entirely different color for the backsplash, pick up a color that is already there, perhaps the color of the cabinets, sink countertop, or floor.

D C thanked Kate
  • thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

I’d tread carefully here as I see the counter by the sink is more white compared to the uppers. Best to get actual tiles in the space. Scale of tile needs to be non competitive with the granite so larger format IMO. How you lay the tile should also be non competitive so I’d consider stacked. I feel the dark tile mock-ups look too disjointed and highlight yet another block of color/finish that might only create more visual chaos. My gut says a white large format stacked tile to match the counter but the grout should match the uppers. But best to get actual tile options in the space.

D C thanked thinkdesignlive
  • mmc429
    3 years ago

I also think some more fun barstools would help tie things together. If you don’t want to redo the backsplash right now, pull from the Aqua and create a more fun space with barstools, art, etc.

D C thanked mmc429
  • Timi M
    3 years ago

Not grey. The backsplash needs to be warm like the new countertop and wood base. A cream similar to the floor would be nice and keep the space more visually open.

D C thanked Timi M
  • herbflavor
    3 years ago

the lighter aqua is so much nicer. why do you want dark gray? just a question I guess but I don't see that as better and certainly not worth the trouble / expense . Your feel is modern and modern is very much "planes "of color. juxtaposed ..and especially nice w no grout lines.... I don't see the negative of the existing at all.

D C thanked herbflavor
  • Susan Murin
    3 years ago

You can paint the glass as a short-term fix. I would pick a light color from the stone. For a few hrs work you’ll at least feel like you can entertain until you have the right tile picked out and installed.

D C thanked Susan Murin
  • JDMCCL
    3 years ago

I agree with Marylut. Add some aqua accessories and a piece of art on the wall above the counter with some aqua in it, and see if that ties everything together better. I love the countertop and your pendants.

D C thanked JDMCCL
  • Susan L
    3 years ago

Just a quick sanity check before you go too far rescuing the color mismatch - are you okay with the fact that the overhang on the peninsula doesn’t have enough room for your knees??

• Suzanne Peacock
    3 years ago

Your space reminds me of a beautiful beach on the ocean. The colours are all there in nature; the green-blue of the water and the rocks and sand of the beach.

Incorporate some beautiful art and accessories in the same tones as the backsplash and countertops , as suggested earlier. Sit back and try to enjoy your space. I think it will grow on you.

D C thanked Suzanne Peacock
  • mle0782
    3 years ago

I agree it is the backsplash that is off. Your counters work really well with your cabinet style and pendants. Why don’t you try a couple different variations of peel on/Contact backsplashes before you commit to something new? There are oodles of possibilities online that are super cheap and temporary—that way you can really get a good visual before you have to commit.

D C thanked mle0782
  • tartanmeup
    3 years ago

On my screen, everything looks more than fine. I was expecting some clashing disaster and am left scratching my head. The backsplash is an unexpected hit of light colour and the marble is still the star of the show. I wouldn't change any of it. Look at the mockups with a neutral backsplash. ORDINARY. The light aqua backsplash makes it less ordinary. Not jarring in the least, imo. Keep! Spend your energy elsewhere.

@Suzanne Peacock's pics are on point. Why do we worry so about mixing blues and neutrals when nature shows us the way?

D C thanked tartanmeup
  • lkloes
    3 years ago

No gray. Go off white or white—maybe the same color as your pup! ;-)

D C thanked lkloes
  • motupeg
    3 years ago

This is interesting. DC can add some wood cutting boards and pottery vase that matches her new counter in front of the Aqua backsplash, and a picture with the aqua and counter colors on the wall.
    Love it.

D C thanked motupeg
  • Lori Proudfoot
    3 years ago

Can we see it with the lights on?

D C thanked Lori Proudfoot
  • Monique Barrow
    3 years ago

I totally agree with Kate: pick up a colour that's already there and let this beautiful marble counter be the highlight

D C thanked Monique Barrow
  • SJ E
    3 years ago

Can the current glass backsplash be removed and repainted to a more neutral color?

D C thanked SJ E
  • Emily R.
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I like the glass material of your existing backsplash. If you could get the same kind of panels in a warmer color, I think that would look better with your Onyx than tiles -- even simple subway tiles have all those lines that compete with the marble patterns.

D C thanked Emily R.
  • marylut
    3 years ago

I trust your color sight IRL better than a photo on my monitor. As long as the white shade of the upper cabs and sink countertop look OK to you with the white shade in the marble, then you have created an interesting look you are not used to seeing yet. Brown (lower cabs), Gray (stools), White (carpet) are neutral colors. Neutrals go with each other and all other colors. Mixing “warmth” of the lower cabs, onyx marble, and pendants works with “coolness” of upper cabs, sink counter, carpet, and stools. The mix keeps the room “color temperature” balanced and therefore interesting. The plain backsplash (no tile shape or grout lines) works with the movement of the marble. Don’t second guess yourself about the movement or the waterfall edge, definitely the right decisions! BTW, today the aqua looks more subdued on my monitor than it did before, go figure. You don’t have to spend much $ to tie the aqua with tan/chocolate.

D C thanked marylut
  • marylut
    3 years ago

Make your color combo choices look intentional in the rooms that are open to the kitchen. Don’t go overboard, just 1 or 2 items that don’t cost much...such as a new sofa throw or sofa throw pillow cover

D C thanked marylut
  • tartanmeup
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Agree that art combining the backsplash aqua (you say green but hard to judge on screen) and warm tones of the onyx would make sense.

More proof that nature's got you: Aerial drone photo of Paradise beach.

D C thanked tartanmeup
  • Suzanne Peacock
    3 years ago

My thoughts exactly, tartanmeup and marylut.

• ker9
    3 years ago

To me it’s the gray wall that isn’t working.

D C thanked ker9
  • marylut
    3 years ago

Hahaha, no gray walls on my monitor, and backsplash color keeps changing on my monitor, trusting my monitor less and less to show true colors.

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

No gray walls on my monitor either. Off-white at best. (@marylut, does your monitor switch to night time mode?)

• marylut
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup, brilliant you are! Yup, night mode was on.

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

Your marble is beautiful. It think the over all affect is incongruent because I would have expected to see a solid white to match your uppers on your island. That marble I would expect to find in a home with wood cabinets. You wanted it to be a feature and it is. I would embrace it at this point, celebrate the unexpected!! I see no reason for the color of the back splash as is, adding art to reference it may work. Easiest /cheapest fix at this point so worth trying. Removing the cabinets to replace a back splash--never heard of before. I would get a second opinion on that. I would not go with the tile options you posted. They do not go with your ultra sleek kitchen at this point. Painting the back splash a white might be your best option.

D C thanked arcy_gw
  • D C
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone for all your additional input, it's all really constructive and I appreciate you taking the time to search specifically for accessories, images, anything at all :)

The good news is that the marble has definitely grown on me - it was a bit of a shock at the start, but my eyes are getting used to it.

Sharing some photos with the pendant light on in the evening, as requested. What's new is also the sculpture has been replaced, I cleaned up the counter, and my couch arrived (I dislike the couch's colour as it clashes with the marble, and am thinking of returning/selling it if possible, but that's another story...), I swapped out the grey bar stools for my extra foldable bar stools for the time being. This is what it looks like now -

That being said, I believe there are things to improve on, and I'm not feeling that adventurous anymore, so I'm inclined to switch out the backsplash (still really appreciate everyone who has pointed out that it's reminiscent of nature - that's such a creative and smart way to look at it, the thought had never crossed my mind)

Things I would like to change:

• backsplash. Contacted a few contractors today, who can help replace the aqua-tinted glass for painted glass, and I get to choose from this catalog https://www.nipponpaint.com.sg/colours/colour-paint-chart/colour-creations/white/?fbclid=IwAR1y6WIM6xaLfd1U1noiZiGzJRBU0LLPZczlU4-Q4F8ReocRe5-oOoIfy-Q (I'm honestly spoilt for choice and also wary that catalogs and reality would look different) inclined towards 'Chalk White' or 'Innocence'. After staring, I'm not really sure what the differences are anymore. Maybe I'm not discerning enough
    • adding neutral, textured wall art behind the couch to tie everything together
    • changing out my curtains (I made the mistake of purchasing these early on in the renovation process, before everything came in. From the sample I couldn't tell that there was a sheen and it would turn out so grey. Not a fan
    • bar stools. Been browsing around and I like the idea of really dark olive green bar stools, similar to the chair that I have in the background by the side of the couch. I saw some interesting options, but still sitting on it

• ker9
    3 years ago

Paint is easier to change than backsplash. I wonder how it would look if the wall was painted a light version of the backsplash. Unfortunately, I don’t have the photoshop abilities. Very pale but similar. WhT color is the wall as it looks gray to me.

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Well, I really think your onyx marble counter is beyond gorgeous. A showpiece. Glad to read you're warming up to it. :)

In your newest pictures with the lights on, the backsplash has the barest hint of colour and now I see greige walls.

Colour perception is subjective. Never mind that most of our monitors can't be trusted to render colours accurately, we could all be in your space under the same light, looking at the same surface from the same angle, etc., perceiving different colours. One's gray is another's off-white, etc. I'm usually good at discerning colours (according to online quizzes) but I see little difference in many colours on the website you linked for your glass backsplash (e.g. Melted Cream and Soft Touch). In any case, if at all possible, choose your colour from real life samples, not online options unless you're certain the manufacturer uploaded true colour samples and your monitor is calibrated perfectly to render the colours accurately.

For many designers, dark olive is considered a neutral. It certainly pairs well with warm colours.

The important thing is that YOU like the colours in your space.

D C thanked tartanmeup
  • thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

Your space is going to be very elegant when finished. May I suggest if you plan to redo the drapes - consider keeping the sheers as is but when doing the new overdrape - go up to the ceiling without any tie backs. It will emphasize your ceiling height. Good luck wrapping it up!

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago

The stone is the absolute best part.

D C thanked User
  • Lori Proudfoot
    3 years ago

Frankly, with the lights on, I really like the backsplash how it is. Get some art above the couch that ties it in, Poof, done. And I do not mind the couch but think the curtains are too gray. An additional pillow or throw that references the backspash? I do not think you need to throw a ton of money at it.

• mmc429
    3 years ago

If you’re really loving olive green stools, tell us what you really think of the Aqua backsplash. Very different vibes to me.