What are you still missing?

Jasdip

If someone gave you a box of objects you've lost during your lifetime, what are some things you would find inside?

SaveComment40Like
Comments (40)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pudgeder

That $1 mill I know is around here somewhere... :-)

Or maybe the hot wheels cars from my youth. (I think my step bro took them) Some of them might be quite valuable today.

Save    
bpath

My marbles 😉

5 Likes Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

My old passport. I put it in a "safe" place........lord knows where that is now :-)

(I do know where the replacement is!)

Save    
ci_lantro

My commercial kitchen sized stainless steel spoons and the Polder kitchen timer on a lanyard.

Save    
Fun2BHere

The Nancy Drew books published in the 1930's and 1940's that disappeared (my mother swears she didn't sell them...hah!) when my parents moved while I was at university.

Save    
Uptown Gal

An old guitar my favorite Uncle gave me to play around and try to teach myself to play. Never

learned much. LOL But, still wish I had it back. It got "lost" somewhere in my many moves.

And, it seems the older I get, the more I think about things I used to have and use and wish

I had them today.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

A pinkie ring with a pink stone in it...slipped off my finger and I never found it again. It probably ended up in the trash in some ladies room when I was drying my hands...

Save    
sleeperblues

When I was a kid I started a wheat penny collection. They had recently stopped printing them. I don't know how many I had, in the several hundreds with some very old coins. One day my baby brother decided to take them to the bank to have them counted, without my knowledge. Lo and behold, I now had a collection of bright new shiny pennies. My old wheats were long gone. This is probably 50 years ago now, and I still haven't forgotten and it still makes me mad. But it's just a thing, and I still love my brother. But I probably had that million dollar penny in there, ha ha!

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

My rolls of Englehard prospector silver coins that got "lost" somehow.

Save    
barbara_tpa

The title to my old car (in the backyard) so I can sell it!

Save    
adellabedella_usa

I'd find a mood ring, my silver dollar I won in second grade and my coins made of real silver, pictures from my trip to Mexico, household items from when my parents were still married to each other, my BeeGee's album, missing craft items and my good hammer and knives.

Save    
Mystical Manns

A birthstone ring I lost 40 years ago. My birthstone (originally) was Topaz, then as they became increasingly hard to find, was switched to Blue Topaz. My ring was the original gold Topaz.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

LOTS of jewelry. I really love it, people give it to me, and I used to lose it all the time. Including my engagement ring.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

A white gold ring hubby gave me which was a bit too big and slipped off my finger God knows where.

Have to think about more - a good memory exercise 🙂

Save    
liira55

A silver and pearl bracelet and matching earrings that my mom bought me in Sicily in 1972.

Save    
lily316

All my childhood toys my parents threw out.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"The title to my old car (in the backyard) so I can sell it!"

In my state, getting a duplicate is a simple and easy process. Check what's available where you are, you'll likely be surprised.

1 Like Save    
woodrose

Too much to put in one box, even a huge one.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I'm not sure what the right word is - surprised, astonished, amazed, or something else. I'll pick one:

I'm surprised how many of you have such an immediate recollection of past material possession(s) that you became separated from, for whatever reason.

Save    
bpath

These things seem like they had some meaning, like a collection that she built, or the prize won, or or were incredibly useful like the large cooking utensils. I would remember those! As I’m going through my parents’ house I’m finding toys and especially stuffed animals that I had completely forgotten about, but instantly remembered. (And I wonder why I haven’t seen them in the last 40 years, it’s like they were under the basement floor and are rising up like zombies!)

Save    
amylou321

I never lost anything. It was all wrenched away by my compulsively decluttering parents. Gifts from my godparents, collections I had started that they didn't like or thought were dumb, books that I no longer read but had an attachment to, all donated or tossed despite screams and tears. I have no clue what their problem was. I managed to hide anything I had a real serious attachment to. When I first started dating SO he asked me to move in with him within a month of us meeting. I didn't, but I did move all my treasures to his house for safekeeping. The looks on my parents faces as I sashayed past with my box of contraband was delightful. "Where were you hiding all that?!?!?!" My father is disgusted by the fact that almost all of his grown children still have their comfort objects. Me and one sister have our blankies, other sister has a monkey named bongo, one brother had a special pillowcase. The oldest two have nothing.

Anything I HAVE lost I must not care anything about,I can't think of anything I am missing......

Save    
Lars

My first diary, which I starting writing when I was a senior in high school and kept through university. When I first moved to San Francisco, I stored it in a friend's garage in Austin, and it got destroyed in a flood. I really regret ever storing it there. I have the rest of my subsequent diaries and enjoy reading them from time to time.

Save    
maifleur03

Not a loss by me but in a break in were the silver dollars received when I graduated from 8th grade. Kept carefully lost as emergency money. More of a security blanket that luckily I never needed.

Save    
Lindsey_CA

I'm sure some of the folks here must remember the character of "Father Guido" from Saturday Night Live eons ago. He did a routine once about how when you die and get to Heaven, God presents you with a box of all of the things you lost during your life. Sunglasses, umbrellas, gloves, etc. It was really funny.

3 Likes Save    
jupidupi

I had a really nice quality, special yoga mat for years and years that I had drawn on (guidelines) and literally taken all over the world. I kept it at a studio that offered storage so I wouldn't have to carry it back and forth. The placed closed, without warning, and gave us just one day to pick up our mats. I was out of town and my boyfriend (now husband) was working two blocks away and insisted that he would pick it up for me; that I didn't need to have my friend do it. He waited too long and didn't get it. He has since bought me all kinds of mats and props. I have tried not to remind him about my mat, but...grrrrr.

Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I had the opposite problem to amylou. My mother‘s mother had upset her by throwing her stuff out so she didn’t want to do the same to me. She was always dumping childhood junk on me which I no longer wanted. The funny thing is I wish she’d thrown them out because now I can’t bring myself to do it. Anyone want a matchbox collection? Sugar cube wrappers?

Save    
amylou321

Ha ha floral! Funny thing,my mom did keep worthless childhood stuff that none of us wanted in boxes for us. They got rid of the stuff in our room I guess because they could see it and all the "stuff" drove em nuts! Didn't matter if we used it or wanted it,after so long it was gone. She was very confused when I told her that no, I did not want my 3rd grade report card and pictures I drew in kindergarten or a book I wrote when I was 10....... and still don't! I am not a hugely sentimental person, but I did resent the irreverent tossing of my stuff that I actually wanted without warning or reason........

Save    
Lars

My mother's mother saved a lot of odd stuff, and then I collected it after she died. I have matchbooks from a hotel in Düsseldorf where she stayed, plus a lot more from various other places. My GM did not smoke, but she did use matches to light her gas space heaters - but she did not use the matches that she had collected for this. She also collected "souvenir" soap from hotels from seemingly every place that she went, and she traveled a lot. I received those also, but I used them. I haven't used the matches. I think she especially liked any kind of free souvenir, as she was pretty cheap. She would also always tell me what she paid for everything she bought. She gave me a tacky brass alligator nutcracker that had plastic turquoise "stones" on it, which she said she paid 25¢ for - it looked it! That was back in the 1960s, and brass is more expensive now, however. I guess it is worth $32 now!

This one was made in India but is identical to what my grandmother gave me. I might still have it, but it does not have all of the plastic jewels. I did use it as a nutcracker, and this is how it lost some of its jewels.

Save    
fran1523

A $400 French silk scarf that I lost just a few weeks ago. I can't imagine where it's gone especially since I've hardly been out of the house.

Save    
nickel_kg

A digital camera. I think I left it on the train, but (no surprise), no one turned it in to Lost and Found.

Save    
Judy Good

My class ring (given to my boyfriend at the time), My original engagement diamond, it fell out about 10 years ago.

Save    
adellabedella_usa

My 'lost' items are easy to remember because I think most were possibly 'taken' more than lost. A lot of it was given to me and had sentimental attachment. I didn't have a lot of stuff I collected so I noticed it missing pretty early on..

Save    
Rusty again

My sanity!

Rusty

Save    
always1stepbehind

My whitening trays for my teeth. I don't know how I lost those.

Save    
joann_fl

The only thing I can say for sure is...... I am still missing my Husband. Oh, an my paint brush that I needed today.

1 Like Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

My sapphire and gold wedding band, my mother's wedding band, and my great-grandmother's necklace - all stolen in house robberies. Oh, and my "Shirley Temple" doll that my mother decided I was too old for when I was 9.

I really can't think of any other material things, or anything that I actually lost myself.

Save    
marilyn_c

Jewelry....some more valuable than others....some just sentimental. Rings stolen by my niece. A little carnelian goldfish that I wore on a chain when I went to fish shows. A beautiful gold watch that Jody bought for me that seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth.

Most heartbreaking are all my photographs, which I lost in the flood following Hurricane Harvey. Pictures from my childhood and family, Erin and Jody.

Save    
matthias_lang

I think I left some maps in a rented apartment closet 30 years ago. They were maps of railroads in each state around the turn of the century.

There used to be so many small railroads. My state was saturated with not just the big name RRs, but passenger trains that served just a couple communities, trains that were limited to just a portion of a city, lines that only served a backwoods lime kiln or a hilly forest being cleared to make way for vineyards with lumber to sell as an additional benefit. There was a line that ran from a river to a town 2-3 miles away on high ground. There were some long lines that departed from quarries to meet up with major RRs that could take granite anywhere in the country.... I wish I had those maps back. They were so interesting.

Save    
Debby

My silver and delft blue ring, along with my gold ring that had a white pearl and a black pearl in it, and my 18K gold bracelet that had my name engraved in it that a "friend" stole from me when I moved from her house and had to leave my things there over night so my parents could store them for me.....

Save    
sjerin

What I'm not missing anymore, are the baby books! I hadn't seen them since our last move, 20+ years ago, and it made me sick to think about. Dh and I cleaned out the garage and lo and behold, there they were in a plastic back with some unused photo albums! This girl was one happy camper.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Lighting New Classics: The Miss K Lamp
Sassy but sleek, this versatile table lamp transforms before your eyes
Full Story
Remodeling Guides 10 Features That May Be Missing From Your Plan
Pay attention to the details on these items to get exactly what you want while staying within budget
Full Story
Decorating Guides 14 Design Tips You Might Have Missed This Week
Try a wood-plank backsplash, install a drawer outlet and reconsider white kitchen cabinets
Full Story