SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Range with 2 ovens--is bottom oven too low for older people?

julieste
3 years ago

We are doing a complete remodel of a very small kitchen (9' by 13') and thought this might be the perfect flexible solution for us (a retired couple), especially since we are in Florida. We thought the idea of just heating the smaller top oven for everyday use would be a benefit. Seems like lots of pluses to the idea.

Then, yesterday we went to the appliance store and actually looked at the two oven, induction ranges we are considering--GE Cafe and Kitchenaid. (We've eliminated Samsung since our local appliance store tells us they have quit carrying Samsung because getting repairs is problematic in our area). I still like the two oven idea in theory but am concerned about that bottom door which basically opens at floor level. And, I am somewhat concerned that in the upper oven if I put the rack on the lower rack rails I will burn my hand while getting things out.

For me, a big plus to getting a two oven model would be that I could then put a regular vent hood above my range rather than putting a microwave/convection combo (once again trying to get the flexibility of having a second oven for occasional use) oven it. If I do the induction range with two oven option, I could just get a small, basic microwave to set on a shelf rather than needing the larger, fancier one with the convection/microwave combination that goes over the range. Even though we have to do recirculating rather than outside venting, I suspect I'd get better venting with a regular hood than the OTR.

GE Cafe™ Series 30" Slide-In Front Control Induction and Convection Double Oven · More Info

GE Café - The Matte Collection · More Info

I am getting older every day and want to make sure that I will be choosing appliances that will actually work for me as I age. So, I guess I am looking at this as a less worse choice. Do I need to think about very rarely crouching down on the floor to get something out of that lower oven? Or, do I on a frequent basis reach over the induction range top to get things out of the OTR microwave?

Do any of you have a two oven range (not a two oven wall model)? Or, do any of you have any thoughts about these? Thanks much.

Comments (73)