SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_roberge

Wood Floor next to Wood Look Ceramic

Jennifer Roberge
3 years ago

I've read on a few boards here how it is a bit of a faux pas to place wood look tile next to actual wood flooring. But hear me out and tell me if it's still a bad idea. We are pulling up all our flooring on the first floor. We have a dog who has torn up our old pine floors and is currently scratching up our upstairs birch floors as well.

The market where we live loves hard wood, so we really want to keep as much hard wood as possible. So we're going to do this in the living room, dining room and an office which is all on the right side of the house. We plan to do hickory or oak as it's the hardest and most durable for dog nails.

When you walk in, we'll have an entry way and a hallway from the front all the way to the back patio door. And a mudroom, bathroom and kitchen on the left side. So we thought to do tile with radiant heat on this side. We live up north, so a heated tile floor will be great for evaporating snow. We often end up trekking through from the front door to the back, so having this in tile will be easier to clean up, and again, the evaporating snow thing. Plus, having this long hallway in tile will help prevent our dog from shredding our floors. It will be the main space he runs back and forth on.

Now these two flooring types - wood and tile sit next to each other. I'm stuck on this idea of having a herringbone wood look in my kitchen, so this would need to be tile (I've had wood in the kitchen and hated it) and the same in the hallway and bath and mudroom. I'm looking for alternative tile options, but I just am not loving anything. We could maybe do a muted tilestone look in a warm color. Our kitchen will be black and white cabinets with brushed gold handles, so I want a floor to help warm it up more, so nothing gray.

The tile is a pretty realistic wood look from Daltile, you can see it here. https://www.daltile.com/product/saddle-brook?color=Farmhouse&shape=Plank If it's in chevron will it be ok next to the wood?

See the attached photos for the tile (oak look), on the left and the wood, darker (hickory) on the right. Our countertops are the white/gray slab. I picked them because they blend nicely and seemed to work well together.

Is this a horrible idea?

Comments (3)