SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idattu

Ideas needed for kitchen lighting.

Terry Widner
3 years ago

We finally got to the place where we could update our 35 year old kitchen. The cabinet doors were literally falling off. There was a partial wall (with a pass through) that blocked line of sight and pretty much kept the kitchen closed off.

In addition to the old and very ugly cabinets the primary light fixture was a dingy beige behemoth of a track lighting system. The primary problem with replacing it is that the electric box was installed way off center of the space. Unfortunately, we have popcorn ceiling which makes patching the old canopy hole a challenge.

I purchased a light with an offset canopy, thinking I could balance out the 'imbalance'... but the light selected is too small.... and just not a good fit for our space. I did see online a track lighting system that had a 'floating canopy' and a flexible track... but I'm not real sure that a track light is a good fix for this room. I kinda like the ones that suspend from cables.. but my wife is not fond of those.

So.. the only other solution (and it is not without its own challenges) is to use LED flush lights in the ceiling. My thinking is that I can space those equally in relation to the existing track light hole... and just have sort of an 'ambient' lighting instead of a 'fixture'. One of the challenges with this is that since we have a sloped ceiling.. whether that could cast the light in a sort of angled way. I did see some with the ability to angle but only bi-directional (gimbal).

The color on the walls in the new kitchen is the same as the green on the 'before' pic. It is cloudy this morning and the light is muted so photos are not very true to color.

If this was your kitchen... how would you approach this. Our decorating style (if you can call it that) is somewhat modern/transitional.... so we don't want to get too 'flashy'. Any suggestions/ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (22)