SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stillanntn6b

Memories of that Horrible Late Easter Freeze over a decade ago.(long)

stillanntn6b
3 years ago

We had over 500 rose bushes, all on irrigation. The weeds were under control, and the root eaters hadn't discovered earth worm and root buffets scattered over our hillside (aka rose beds). Rose Rosette was about a county away from being full out nasty.

The rose had come through winter and the usual early February cold snap wasn't as bad as usual. The roses had massive amounts of buds, most of which were over two to four weeks from opening. They were so very, very promising.

Then the Canadian Arctic mass swooped down and it was a hard freeze. It killed tens of thousands of buds (I had some huge roses, once bloomers, that that year were non-bloomers.)

After it happened, there were only a very few roses that made blooms: Old Blush and Climbing Old Blush chugged along, unbothered. Also Fimbriata. And R.x fortuniana.

Pretty much every other rose had dead ends (this was ALL the different ARS catagories of roses). I pruned and pruned and pruned.

The roses came back, but with a problem they'd never had before. Powdery Mildew. PM had never been a problem. I'd guess that the canes and leaves were mature enough to resist when the PM potential was there; that year, there was no resistance to PM.

It's almost as if the plants remembered and it took over two years to recover what they had lost.

What would I do differently? Spray a PM preventative after the kill. Try to keep PM out of the canes, I think that it, like so many other diseases, can become systemic.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022