SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christina_fan62

Help with Kitchen/Dining/Living Room Floor Plan

Christina F
2 years ago

Hi, I am working on drawing up a remodeling plan that I need to do with an old ranch house I just bought. With the the current floor plan, there are 3 things that I don't like: A) there is a slanted wall separating kitchen and dining area - I prefer open space and straight wall;

B) the fireplace in the living rooms is very awkwardly positioned (the fireplace is not functioning currently, so I need to repair it regardless - but not sure if I need to do anything about the positioning); C) the family room area is cut off by entry to corridor leading to bedroom areas, so not enough room to place furniture. Among the 3, I really want to at least fix the first one, and just live with the other two by placing furniture "smartly".

Below are the current vs. my draft new floor plans. As I am really new to home remodeling, I am very nervous about making all the changes, so really would like to get your comments/suggestions. I have 3 specific questions on the new plan: 1) is it OK to remove the slanted wall from design perspective? 2) for the place underneath the window between French doors and kitchen window, should I put in low cabinet or just a low sitting bench (so I have place a small round table in front of it as breakfast table)? 3) For the kitchen island, should I have the long side facing dining room or family area? Thanks!!!

Comments (8)