SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markmorganemail

Vegetation and planters for concealment around my rooftop terrace

Mark Morgan
3 years ago

I have a rooftop terrace and I have been experimenting with a combination of decorative grasses and vining plants, to form a privacy screen and color along my railing. I think last year (2020) was the most successful yet using sweet potato vines in flower boxes, and purple fountain grass in 18 in terra cotta pots.

Here is how it turned out:

I want to improve the situation in the following ways and I could use some advice:

1. Train the vines to cascade over the terrace wall, rather than be bushy on top. Can I construct a lattice or framework to “lead” the vines over and down the terrace railing, so that they reach further down the wall? (Or is the reach of the potato vine a function of the depth of the soil, in which case, see the next question)
  2. Plant the fountain grass in the same boxes as the potato vines—to form a screen that has both height--with the grass, and also runs down the side of the terrace railing--with the vines. How large of a flower box would I need for that? (I saw an example of that on Houzz below).

Roof top deck · More Info

I have a continuous water supply and drainage on the terrace, and have had great success with a drip irrigation system, so maintenance is not an issue.

How can I take this terrace to the next-level?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments (9)