SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

April OBF Swap: Birthday Flowers

ruthz
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

*Our Blooming Friends Swap Group [0BF] was created to have a reliable, fair and safe haven to swap and trade between group members. If you care to join us, we would love to have you.

*Please be a successful member of GardenWeb/HOUZZ and have completed a trade with two or three of our members. Membership requests should be sent to Shirley [Brittneysgran]

Now to the swap:

Are you up for a challenge?

For this swap we will send our partner Flowers for their Birthday

When you sign up, please post your birthday date.

Send flowers that should or could be blooming on your partners birthday.

Send bulbs, plants, rhizomes, seeds, or tubers, etc. Or a non-plant item with beautiful flowers.

I know we have some winter birthdays that might be a challenge. If you just can’t find anything that will be flowering at the right time, send a non-plant item that has flowers on it that can be enjoyed on their birthday.

The idea is to have Birthday Flowers from a garden friend to enjoy for years to come.

Please post when you mail and when you receive. Pictures are always appreciated.

Comments (109)

• smitties
    3 years ago

Pretty Iris and clematis girls. Had lots of iris and a clematis at the last house we lived at but none here. Just bought a sweet summer clematis and excited to get it planted to watch it grow and bloom.

Bought a package of bulbs at aldi that included 4 different types of flowers. I’ll get those planted tomorrow.

Looks like packages are moving along. Tomorrow is Friday! I hope everyone has big plans for the weekend.

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

I am out of town.....my mail picker upper informed me that Margo's package arrived....safe and sound. I will be home tomorrow and will post "Birthday Flowers" from Margo after I open.

Thanks Margo....looking forward to your package.

Happy Eve/Morning wherever you might be!!

Annie

• Related Discussions

*ObF* APRIL Birthday Ladies!

Q

Comments (10)
    I make that cake i guess you all know I got laid off so a freind and I are opening a local online flower shop named carol and sherrys floral designs site is not up yet but I am busy working on it. That and my evergrowing lawn and coop bulbs is keeping me too busy, for being retired.HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALL YOU APRIL BABIES. April your box went out yesterday conf # 03083390000145217646. Joined a great lilly coop at gardengeeks.com. very nice bulbs, only problem is they don't plant themselves. my daughters darn big galoomp of a dog bit my princess on the throat today, my poor baby. I got stuck with koby a big lab mix but he is mean to my lil girl. big hugs to all my bloomin friends. gonna be super busy but will try to check in carol
    ...See More

NEW: new: obf april "a taxxxxing month" swap

Q

Comments (149)
    Great....Michelle received from Dianne!!! Everyone sent and everyone received. BRAVO! Well, that is a wrap on A TAXXXXING MONTH!! I see that all prizes have been received except for Vina and Jeanne (A game). Jeanne, I checked your tracking...you should receive by/on Thursday of this week. Vina and Jeanne, no need to post here when you receive...to difficult to get on here. Just email me so I know you have it in your hot little hands! Has been a pleasure ladies!! Tata, Annie
    ...See More

UPDATE: update:obf-flowers from the april showers

Q

Comments (116)
    Hello, Lovely Ladies-I can't believe I took care of all this yesterday , "pushed Submit" & received the message- After an April date you can no longer sign in with your GW name, etc. I couldn't believe it. When I get this typed again, you will all understand why I waited until today to try again. I received the largest box from Maryanne yesterday & I know when I try to input all that was in it, I'll forget some of it as it was so loaded, I can't believe that post is somewhere in outer space, I guess. I'll try again to list all: Day Lillies- Night Embers, Grace & Wind Frills-Toad Lily-Tradescantiq, Little Doll, Stokesia,Klaus Jelittoi-Asiatic Lily-Red Dragon Marked maybe,maybe not!Iris-Awake, Sues's Blues, Caprice & Innocent Star-Strawberry Begonia-Shasta Daisy,I almost bought one last week!-Superburn,Aglaya?-Hosta's, So Sweet, Thumbalina, I love mini's Hosta's, Heuchera-Dales Strain & one other one, Salvia-East Friesland. There were lots of Iris unamed, too. I am sure I have missed some & miss spelled some but what a selection! Thank you so much, Maryanne-I am going to try & keep them marked as from you & will be able to remember you when the start blooming! You really made my summer a delight watching these great plants. Mellen, I so enjoyed this swap especially trading with each other. Thanks you so much, You did Good! To all, have a wonder full planting season. Blessings, Margaret
    ...See More

OBF April " Pass-along Plant swap"

Q

Comments (127)
    For $8.70 she packed it in. her garden is full. I got to smell thru Margos garden last night. She include 2 cloves of garlic , spicy orange thyme, lemon thyme, bi color hosta, bee balm, grape hyacinths, candy tuft, and Rembrance crocus from olivias garden. And plant labels and markers. Then added mason vase inserts, tranfers for my crafts, and a handmade soap. This was a wonderful thoughtful package. Thank you M argo.
    ...See More
  • Ruth Lyles Zmroczek
    3 years ago

It's a cloudy, rainy day here. I just saw my first hummingbird this year and there was no fresh food out. It didn't stay long enough to get a picture. It's so dark outside getting a picture might not be easy. I made some nectar and put in 3 different feeders. Maybe it will come back later.

Bingo word today

Balloons

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

From Margo...love everything. Not sure the pic will post. I will post further tonight or in the am...plumber is on duty.

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Ruth I put out my hummingbird feed today, hopefully they will find it tomorrow.

Checked out Iris4U, Of course I loved the 2021 intros. I have very few bearded

irises left. My favorite is the Japanese Irises.

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

Margo, many thanks for the wonderful birthday flowers package. Miss Margo sent me a beautiful birthday card with roses, a June birthday flower. I did not know that roses were a June birthday flower!! I also received a book, Mocktails and Cocktails Made Simple....some very refreshing recipes in here....Aloe Vera and Rose Cleansing Gel Foam,....Himalayan Rose Ayurvedic Soap which I had no idea what ayurvedic meant. It is the ancient holistic science of India aiming at total harmony of mind, life, body and spirit in balance with nature's rhythms and the world around us. This smells fantastic!! And a magnet that says Wine Flies When You Are Having Fun, which is to perfect for me...LOL! And California Poppy seeds!! Everything was wrapped in white tissue paper and Lots and Lots and Lots and Lots of HAPPY BIRTHDAY and STAR CONFETTI was everywhere. Now I know some people don't like the confetti in packages and envelopes. I have heard from some of my friends that it is to messy. I tell them tough. You are getting it anyways. WELL, I love it......thank you Margo. And you were quite generous with your confetti...LOL! This is a super Birthday package!!

I dd post a pic of Margo's package yesterday. I am never sure what people see on HOUZZ.

I need to get on the stick and get my swaps together!!

Happy weekend!!

Annie

• Ruth Lyles Zmroczek
    3 years ago

I get so frustrated with our postal system.

Shirley, your package was supposed to be delivered yesterday which was a day later than I would have thought with a flat rate box mailed on Monday. Now there isn't even an update as to when it will be delivered. Tracking # 9505510871281102417362

Bingo words today

Clowns

Wrapping paper

• smitties
    3 years ago

Glad you enjoyed your package. I don’t mind confetti and I have to say, no matter how often you send packages, you catch me with that confetti every time. LOL I was going to just keep it in those packages but when I was done packing the envelope, decided to just throw it all in. Didn’t want to store it or throw it away. I’m sure you can reuse it.

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Can't believe this is the latest fad, THE GARDENERS MANICURE. LOL

• sandlapper_rose
    3 years ago

I think I posted a picture of my Viburnum when the flowers were still in that green stage. (It was for St. Patrick's Day.) Anyway, now white and fluffy and for some reason that frost a few weeks ago didn't impact these. Love the flowers!

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

Good afternoon. I took on a challenge.A woman poster her 2 houseplant s showed have mealies.If I wanted them Come get them.So I picked last night. Put in tub where not close to my plants. Sprayed with water in the tub. Today I am taking outside and changing pots and top dirt. Then spraying with neen oil. I did give her a piece of Curly sue hoya.A rare hoya. She said she does propagation.I hope I can save these.

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

Susan, Happy Birthday is coming your way. I am mailing an envelope to you tomorrow. I ordered two items from KOHLS to be directly shipped to your home. I am not sure at this point if they will be shipped together. I will keep you posted after I receive shipping emails from KOHLS. They say delivery should be between 4-22 and 4-27 but they have been moving pretty slow the last few months....we will see. Wait and open everything together (envelope and Kohls package(s). I did a little different March birthday twist for you...kind of out of necessity...LOL!

Happy Evening!

Annie

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

Surprises are good for birthdays!!! Thank you

• Ruth Lyles Zmroczek
    3 years ago

Good morning.

Shirley, I don't know about y'all, but I'm not liking the gardeners manicure at all. Makes me want to grab my scrub brush and soap.

Jeanne, your Viburnum is beautiful. I've never grown it but I see the neighbors across the street now have a small one.

Susan, the plants totally look like they can be saved.

Love your birthday quote.

Here is yesterday's bingo words.

Cake

Ice cream

• bluee19
    3 years ago

Shirley ~ I received my birthday gift of amaryllis bulbs today! Thank you so much!! Now the wait in finding out what color hmmm??? Thanks so much for the cute card and birthday wishes!!

• Ruth Lyles Zmroczek
    3 years ago

Awesome packages.

Shirley, tracking # shows your package was delivered yesterday morning after being on the road for 7 days. Hope you got it okay.

I will try to take some iris pictures and post later. I have a couple more kinds blooming. Also have to cover my lettuce and bok choy. Supposed to get down to 39 degrees tonight and frost.

Do you have a favorite kinds of lettuce to grow? Thinking about what kinds I might try next year.

So far the flower seeds I've planted this year aren't doing too well.

Bingo words

Presents

Ribbon

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

Susan, one of the items I ordered from Kohl's has been shipped. It looks like it might be delivered tomorrow. Tracking says it has arrived at the facility in your area. Do not open it up until the other kohls item and envelope from me arrives at your home. I wrote a note with your kohls order on packing slip. I am not sure if note will be in one or both packages. Thanks, Annie

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

Annie No worries I will wait. Black seeded simpson is my favorite. It is so deicate . but quickly becomes crisp when washed . we are ready for snow flurries and cold nights. I put our covers today. got home and most have blown off. I covered my peonies with buckets. they are full with buds. covered my 4 clemitis that are holding buds also. covered the strawberries that a full blooms. the 4 o clocks are on their first leaves . I tried to do the sides of the plum trees. hope the sun keeps the rain from freezing on the limbs. hope everyone is doing well.

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

Susan, the other item from KOHLS has been shipped. It looks likes that delivery will be Fri or Sat.

Happy Wednesday.

Annie

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Nicole these two are the amaryllis bulbs I sent. Love that they winter over here.

Ruth I received your awesome Birthday pkg and love it all.

What a fun surprise to see what color the Christmas cactus will be. Planting my Narcissus today and hopefully the seeds. The Lindor candy is my favorite YUM.

Great idea for this months swap Ruth. Thank You

It's supposed to get down to 27 degrees tonight so know what I will be doing late this evening, covering over 100 peonies from the frost. They have buds all over ready to open soon.

• Ruth Lyles Zmroczek
    3 years ago

Good morning on this beautiful Wednesday. A bit cool here but sunny. DFW broke a 100+ year old record this morning with a low temp dropping to 37°. The old record for today was 39° set back in 1918. I haven't been outside yet but looks like all the flowers are fine. I did cover my greens so they should be okay.

Shirley, wow over 100 peonies, please post pictures when they bloom. Your yard must look like a botanical garden. Love the amaryllis, especially the white strip one. I have a solid red (Red Lion maybe, lost the tag long ago) and St. Joseph's that grow in ground.

I'm hoping these flowers will be blooming on your birthday. The Narcissus is in ground here and blooms at Christmas time. I meant to print a pictuce to send with the seeds but forgot until after I had mailed the package. I haven't grown pansy's or flowering kale in a long time, but a lot of people here grow it thru the winter. I wasn't sure about your zone. Maybe with some protection. Here's pictures of the two.

Bingo words

Birthday

Champagne

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

I have had these pansies for 2 year. 2 in the same pots. Snapped these yesterday before our snow.b they are still doing good today.

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

the fun part I like looking at is the plants coming up around them. all the irises and peonies getting ready to show off pinks and purples.

• smitties
    3 years ago

Very pretty flowers posted here. Had over 2 inches of snow overnight. Ugh. I turned on the heat in the greenhouse and covered all the hosta foliage coming up. tonight there is no snow but freeze warning so covered again. My tulips fared well and so did these beauties.

• Ruth Lyles Zmroczek
    3 years ago

Susan and Margo, beautiful flowers.

It's good that they survived the snow. I love the daffidols and blue/purple and yellow is always a pretty combination.

Margo are the green ones helebores? My SIL in PA. says they bloom all winter for her. I've thought about getting some but just don't know where I would want to put them.

• Ruth Lyles Zmroczek
    3 years ago

I saw this on FB this morning,

Earth and Heart are the same letters, just move the H

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

Shirley and fellow OBFERS, help me out!! I am supposed to host OBF for the month of May. I don't think I will have a computer to work on. Two new computers.......one is non functioning, sending it back to HP and the other chromebook is almost non functioning. Can someone please take over hosting duties for May??? PLEASE!! PLEASE!!

Thanks!

Annie

• Ruth Lyles Zmroczek
    3 years ago

Annie, sorry about your computer issues. I hope someone will step up to host OBF for May. I can't commit as we will be making a trip or trips to PA. to help clean out my MIL's house when my SIL is ready.

Nicole, my seeds came today and I sowed 3 kinds.

Bingo for today

Candy

Dinner

• smitties
    3 years ago

Ruth, yes they’re hellebore. I planted them when we moved here almost 4 years ago and this is the first bloom. They started white a month or more ago and have gone to the green color and still going strong. I love them. The other is a Pasque flower also planted 4 years ago and first time bloomer.

• canyonwind
    3 years ago

Susan, checking to make sure both packages arrived from KOHLS, Tracking shows one was delivered on 4-22 and the other yesterday 4-23. Out here in Southern California, lots of complaints of packages being stolen off front porches/at front door. I just like to know that they made it. I am sure envelope will make it by the end of the year...LOL!

I am officially bowing out f hosting for May!1

Happy day!!

Annie

• smitties
    3 years ago

I hope someone is able to step up to help you for May. I’m seeing eye doc for cataract surgery Monday so I can’t commit. I will most probably have the surgery I may.

If someone can volunteer to help out Annie, that would be awesome. No need to do anything big and there are so many people here who can help you out. Make it simple just to keep the camaraderie going.

• Ruth Lyles Zmroczek
    3 years ago

Margo, wishing you good luck on your surgery.

I had it done years ago and hubby needs it. He was going to schedule for early this year then, we got covid and then my sister and his mom passed and there has just been too much going on so far.

I won't be doing much today. We're expecting thunder storms, maybe severe with hail and possibility of tornados.

Update on packages,

Partners for Birthday Flowers..........

Annie sends.......................mailed
    to Susan......................... received

Shirley..................................mailed
    sends to Nicole..............received

Nicole sends.......................mailed
    to Ruth..............................received

Margo sends......................mailed
    to Annie...........................received

Susan sends......................mailed
    to Margo.........................received

Ruth sends.........................mailed
    to Shirley.........................received

Bingo words

roses

Celebrate

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

bingo

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

Hi I am locked out of my outlook mail. had a "security" web site attach to my laptop when downloading and app to look at my friends picture. Chilly cool day and only have one errand to do. then finish making up seed packs for a plant seed trade. A new group that started out as a house plant group and many decided to branch out to growing from seed. expecting 13 people. Not bad for just a small Dayton group. I tried for years to get locals to get into heirloom tomatos. I am only taking Big boys. My heirloom are still small . Dont know if they have the set up for them till end of May. Of course I am taking pots of my re seeders. No house plants. I am having a hard time propgating from stem cuttings of my hoyas. They rot. they are growing well from rooted plants. But my main concern now is outside seeds. I have to get up an hour earlier to water and turn on lights. to day my community garden opens. as in Ohio way to wet to even weed. I am feeling the excitment of the season.

• Ruth Lyles Zmroczek
    3 years ago

Susan, Congratulations on bingo.

I will try to get your prize mailed on Monday.

Seed group sounds like fun. I have one tomato seedling that came up in the pot I had sungold.

Daughter got me Clarks flip flops for my birthday and I wanted to share a picture of the shoeboxs.

What's blooming in your yard today?

Ragged Robin rose

• smitties
    3 years ago

Since no one has offered to take May for Annie, is anyone able to switch their hosting month? If you can take May, I’ll take your month. Between cataracts and a trip to visit grandchildren, I’m unable to take up May.

With Annie’s dedication to always making fun for us , I’m hoping someone can step up to the plate to help out.

Also, if someone can send an email out to all members, maybe someone would like to help out in May. My computer skills and eyesight are limited

thank you, Margo

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

Yea Annie I love the pillows. They are summer colors and will brighten up the lounge chair. I also ove the seeds. warercress an tennis ball lettuce sounds fun. A new melon madhu ras rajastan honey is great. yes March is a hard moth to find plants for. I felt that way for January. So just a pretty "birthday" gift is perfect. Thank you for my birthday in April. .The colors are bighter then the picture, it is sunny in this room.

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

I can take May. I will find something to make it special, Margo I am glad you are getting your eyes done. I HATE WHEN MY GLASSES ARE SMUGGY.

• bluee19
    3 years ago

Skyblue52 ~ thanks for hosting May. I can partner with you to send out the prizes or host a game. I just couldn't commit to hosting for the month.

Happy Sunday Everyone!!

• smitties
    3 years ago

Susan, this is awesome if you. Thank you.

• greekmiss
    3 years ago

What a wonderful idea! How do I join? My birthday is in June. I think this is a great idea! Oh and happy belated birthday!

• skyblue52
    3 years ago

good morning I have made a mess of my windows/msn. I had to reboot after getting rid of something I downloaded. Now I did not remember my password for msn. I am now blocked out. 3 appilcations to prove it is me. they say not enough info. I made anther email. But my webtv has all my credit cards and accounts. They were all autopay. But like to get the weekly balances. Gonna keep trying. I also lost my wifi the tower is out of date. 2 other people have had that problem this week on my street. . My neighbor is going crazy. thinks spectrmn is visiting the main box in her yard to much. I am going to pick my new tower up myself tomorrow. She had them come out. and it took 2 trips. I dont know. I am staying hooked up by the usb cord. I would rather be outside. But I need to stay in touch with my gardening friends. sorry to ramble .

• brittneysgran
    3 years ago

Susan bless your heart, hope everything gets back to normal for you. Sounds like we are all busy as little bees. Thank you and Nicole for a joined partnership for our May Swap. YEAH

greekmiss we have just finished the month of April but you can join us for May and future swaps.

• skyblue52
    2 years ago

Good Morning Beautiful fun day ahead. And the derby tomorrow so be researching the race. gonna post the theme for May tonight. Getting used to my new e mail. I just gave up tring to get into my old one. It was sending me in to a bad place. got 5/3, ebay, kohls, krogers, and paypal changed over. 30 years the same email. Planting sunflowers today. already got in the zinnias and white aluymn. gonna pull out the dahlias and see what is showing growth

• skyblue52
    2 years ago

Ruth. Thank you for the bingo gifts from the garden. 2 wonderful red lilies.The day did not go well. So tomorrow start over with 2 new lilies to plant.

• Ruth Lyles Zmroczek
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Sorry your day did not go well.

You are welcome. Hope they are okay. Looks a little dry. Alabama Jubilee probably does better for me than any of my other daylilies.

• brittneysgran
    2 years ago

Ruth thanks for hosting our April swap. Beautiful sunshiny days here but the wind is horrible.

Going to try our luck selling at the Farmers Market tomorrow.

Night ladies!

• canyonwind
    2 years ago

Ruth, thank you for a wonderful BIRTHDAY FLOWERS month of April!!

Hopefully, my computers will be all fixed up for next month. Amazing that two new computers had to be sent back to be fixed up. They certainly don't make ANYTHING like they used to.

Happy May to all!

Annie