SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_hamel86

refinish existing hardwood floors or pull up to do continuous flooring

Lisa Hamel
3 years ago

We need flooring help. Our first floor currently has 20 year old traditional white oak hardwood flooring in the entry and dining room. The kitchen floor (and small hallway and 1/2 bath) is an ugly sort of vinyl tile that we need to take up and replace with either hardwood or tile, and then the living room is currently a carpet that we want to take up to put hardwood in. I would love to just pull everything up and start fresh to put something continuous throughout but I would want a real hardwood as we have oak staircase and wood trim everywhere. Is it just dumb to think about pulling up that existing oak (it is in OK shape but would need to be refinished without a doubt) to do this? Is that too costly? Or, should I refinish that and try to have it matched and put that in the living room and kitchen as well? If I pull it up I would probably like something with a little wider plank. I am assuming I cannot put the hardwood in the 1/2 bath? Is that just asking for trouble (even more than a kitchen)?

Comments (4)