SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Interior design trends that need to go, video

Oakley
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I love this guy and I usually agree with him except not what he said the reason people put the tv over the fireplace. They put it there because it hogs too much real estate!

If you're on a pc you can ff to the next section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCmiusMUZBg

Comments (49)

• Jilly
    3 years ago

“Glam girls seem to really love French bulldogs.” True. 😂

Last time I had to get something from Hobby Lobby, I noticed French Bulldogs everywhere ... and wondered why just that dog? Of course it was hard to concentrate with all the giant cow face art staring at me from every aisle.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Lots of cows at Michael's too. I confess I almost bought this there... but I resisted.

• Related Discussions

Anyone interested in letting their inner interior designer go?

Q

Comments (6)
    Can you share photos of rooms with your old Hollywood/clean industrial design inspiration? From what I know about the styles, they are polar opposites. I know you love your wallpaper but you won't have a cohesive room as long as the floor, the fireplace, and the wallpaper are fighting. You might be able to get the wallpaper to work if you get a huge area rug for the space. Right now the floor and the fireplace are ganging up on the wallpaper and they are winning. The fireplace might play nice with the wallpaper if the floor is covered but it will take a very refined design sense to pull it off.
    ...See More

Interior designer needed?

Q

Comments (6)
    My brother and sister-in-law used a designer for this process, and she probably saved them far more than they spent on her consult fee. Before they hired her, they were stumbling into upgrading one material, then discovering none of the other base materials for the next choice coordinated with the upgrade so they had to go with another upgrade, which ended up requiring another upgrade for the next item. And of course, the staff at the design center have exactly zero incentive to help you be strategic about your choices. The designer was able to help them figure out what was worth it to upgrade, what could be done that would still work with the basic choices for other items, etc., and she saved them a LOT of money as a result.
    ...See More

Do I need an interior designer or a contractor.

Q

Comments (4)
    From a practical standpoint, the scope of work you described would require plans, permits, and an experienced contractor to implement. Professional licensing laws vary from state to state. Your interior designer may be prohibited by law from hiring a general contractor or subcontractors.
    ...See More

As an interior designer how do you go about recommending art?

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you all so much for your responses I really appreciate it! This is really helpful insight and makes sense to me. Art is such a personal thing that I agree it would be difficult to try and pick it out for a client rather then provide recommendations and let them figure out what exactly they desire. I was just curious because I know many interior designers do advertise art placement as a service and I was wondering what exactly this service entailed? Perhaps It is more about recommending "decor" rather then "art" like Ocotillo said. Or working together with your client by recommending galleries and such. If anyone has had experience using art placement services from an interior designer I'd love to hear about that experience. I am hoping to find out if interior designers provide links to websites like ours as a way to inspire clients. I'm hoping to understand interior designers process more so we can increase our connections with them and learn from their experiences as well. Let me know what you all think and thank you again for your input!
    ...See More
  • Bunny
    3 years ago

Jinx, French bulldogs are everywhere in my neighborhood. No, Piper, stop barking!!

I would rather have a cow.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I must be out of the loop but I had no idea french bulldogs were a thing. What, is vintage staffordshire dogs out now? :) I admit, I do like the Staffordshire

The thing I'm sick of seeing are black and white checks, and I'm guilty of that except I bought my stuff long before people started putting it everywhere, including Christmas trees.

Those cows! Who was the designer who had that huge cow on her dr wall?

• just_terrilynn
    3 years ago

Oakley, I had no Idea about the bulldogs either so you are not alone.

• cawaps
    3 years ago

I like him. I love his "I'm just one guy on the internet" caveats. I didn't really disagree with him on any of the things he's over.

Regarding TVs, I put mine in a closet a while ago. I watch almost everything on my computer.

• Springroz
    3 years ago

Not into snortty dogs....I am so with him on most of that. A friend back in TX posted her double wide mobile home, and it had barn doors on more than one doorway... Same mobile home walls and ceilings. Never liked the mirrored furniture at all...

• bpath
    3 years ago

oh, my friends, get with it, they are Frenchies.

• maddie260
    3 years ago

I think this man is great, and I couldn't agree with him more! His style is so fun.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

LOL, bpath! I'm going to google what type of decor requires a frenchie. :)

Yeah, I like him too.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I've been meaning to discuss this trend that needs to go away STAT.

Serena and lily sofas with skinny arms These sofas are everywhere. My dogs don't chew things anymore but I can easily see one resting it's head on the covered wood and chew it off in a second.

Even if I didn't have a dog, do you realize how fast the arms will show wear and tear?

• graywings123
    3 years ago

The AKC says that French Bulldogs are the second most popular breed of dog in the US, in terms of registration with the AKC. Labrador Retrievers continue to be first.

• Sueb20
    3 years ago

Ahem. My French bulldogs ARE glam girls.

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

"Don't you dare forget the Tom Ford book!" - Less than 2 mins in and I'm already cracking up.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

I don't watch, ever, decorating videos or tv shows but I liked his approach.

• deegw
    3 years ago

I'm 10 seconds in and I love his sweatshirt!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

I just watched his Interior design trends he loves March 2021 and his first item was terrazzo.

I bought a terrazzo pot 2 days ago while basket shopping! I am so susceptible to new trends, the newest even if it's old/new again draws me like a bug.

• deegw
    3 years ago

I confess I'm also attracted to a trend when it starts to break. Just accessories. I can't remember ever making a structural trendy change, like shiplap or a barn door.

For instance, I've been saving this "baskets on a wall" picture for years.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Sue, they’re adorable, I want to cuddle them. ❤️

Dee, I love basket displays. I’ve been collecting various ones my entire adulthood (as a kid, we had a Southwestern style basket wall). They’re art, most tell a story of origin and such in their designs. When we were in Negril, and went to an open market, a lady was weaving baskets ... I so regret not buying one. I thought we’d go back another day, but never did. tl;dr, do your basket wall! :D

• jojoco
    3 years ago

I’ve found my muse. I’ve been over farm house chic forever.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

I see baskets as timeless, not trendy. They've been in existence since the dawn of time and continue to be beautiful, useful expressions of so many different cultures around the world. I can't think of a time when I didn't have baskets, nor can I imagine ever giving them up because they were somehow no longer "a thing." Of course display trends come and go, but I still happen to believe that baskets are about as permanent a household item as there can be. Hang em up. Set em out. Always. 🙂

• Yayagal
    3 years ago

Hilarious!!!

• deegw
    3 years ago

I really didn't mean to start a trendy versus timeless debate. Subway tile has been used for years as well but also became trendy. "Tribal baskets on a wall" were never a thing in my area so they looked new and fun and trendy to me.

You can choose something because you think it looks up to date and trendy or you can choose something because you think it looks timeless, it really doesn't matter. As long as you think it looks good in your space and it makes you happy, that is all that matters.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

No debating here. Just a fun discussion, I think.

The guy in the video seems like he'd be a really fun friend. Let's invite him to come and be a guest speaker at our get together that's kinda sorta in the works. 😁

• LynnNM
    3 years ago

Oh no, black & white check items are becoming ho-hum??? Darn, I just (not even 20 minutes ago) ordered this sign for an anniversary gift for our DS & DDIL! They LOVE dogs and have three much loved fur kids of their own. Along with this charcuterie set I'd mentioned earlier. LOL! Gotta love Amazon!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

He does make a statement at the very beginning that you should decorate with things that you love as it's your house so do what you want with it, and this is his personal list.

I believe we all have things in our homes that aren't on any list of approved decor.

Not everybody keeps up with trends.

• LynnNM
    3 years ago

Amen to that, Bumblebeez!!!

• aprilneverends
    3 years ago

Oakley thank you for sharing that was fun to watch! He seems a nice guy and I was smiling the whole time

I'm with him like 100% especially on these LED chandeliers..I never got to the baskets, and white and black checks though, and other things mentioned in the thread..is it the next video? can't find it. Next one for me is about trends he loves. Haven't started on it yet.

I liked "realize you're in suburbs and then we can move forward" lol

Oakley thanked aprilneverends
  • l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

He didn't mention fake painted deer heads or just a set of antlers. They were everywhere for a while. That's a trend I never liked.

I can practically count on one hand the number of decorative or even functional household items I have bought new or even bought. I'm usually tweaking a hand me down . . .

I did buy myself some lovely linens back when I first got my house . . . and a few yard tchotchkes . . . and I found a wonderful wool Persian rug one time at I think Macys or Boscov's and I wasn't even shopping for it. Just saw it on super sale.

My other shopping spot is usually IKEA for some additional configurations of my IVAR shelving unit world . . . at one point I was a fan of "This End Up" furniture. I still get a lot of use out of my shelves from there . . .

Lynn that cheeseboard is so nice! I love charcuterie and cheese boards and tapas . . . Hubs bought me an engraved wooden cheeseboard as a wedding gift. I got him and engraved silver flask. He's never used that, but we use the cheeseboard.

• Faron79
    3 years ago

Have to comment on the Frenchie "Thing". I've never been a fan of those or most smaller dogs.

Faron's ideal place would be a big country-house; decorated with lots of wood & Leather. FLW-Style roof-profile. Aaaaaannnd.....for the Hounds: GOTTA have a couple Sammies (🤪😍🤪), Berners, & a couple Mal's!!

In the long, curved driveway, Black on Black C7, Black on Black Escalade or Denali, & a Black on Black CT6-V.

Who wants to Decorate the place?!!?! 😁😉🤪🤔

Faron

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

I noticed today that Lowe's has cement Frenchies out in the garden center lol

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

That was fun to watch. I think he hit on most of the high points of recent decor including one I haven’t seen much of, the LED chandeliers (thankfully those must not be very popular here). Frenchies must have gained some notoriety lately due to Lady Gaga’s being stolen recently. These stores have to stay with the current trends too ya know.

• cawaps
    3 years ago

Regarding the LED lights, I was frustrated 6 or 8 years ago that only very high end lighting designers were doing anything innovative with the technology. The size of LEDs opens up a whole world of designs that weren't possible with A-lamps or candelabra bulbs. It took a long time for the mass market to take a risk on new designs and for prices to come down.

I don't like everything that's been done in LED chandeliers, but I'm glad we are seeing options that really exploit the possibilities of the tech. I quite like the simple circle and tiered graduated circle chandeliers, and my linear LED suspension lights have a less than 1 inch profile, which I love.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

About TVs - I loved "hide it" then quickly "not with a barn door"

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Oh my goodness, Sue! Your babies have so much personality! They are absolutely adorable. 😍

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Sue! That made me lol. I love them. 😄

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

That one quick shot of the REAL farmhouse was a "yes please" for me. Hubs and I would love a real working country dog like a shepherd or doberman or even a pyrenees, but we have a small house and yard so small dog. That's one reason the French bulldogs are popular, their size and temperament fits with more urban or suburban life. I looked into the breed but the gas and potential health issues turned me towards some other less labor intensive breeds. My cousin has a pair of them and loves them. They are cute as the dickens.

• Sueb20
    3 years ago

Gas??? I beg your pardon?

OK I’ll stop now.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

I would like a coffee table book of Sue’s Frenchies.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Bless his heart, he’s offended! Lol they are too cute Sue! I would think any dog would have gas. Ha!!

Theres a breeder around here of long hair frenchies. I saw pics of a gray one with blue eyes! Adorable!! It’s fur looked like velvet. 😋

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You all have been having fun, I'm glad! Lynn, I need that sign on my door!

B&W check is only ho hum to me, simply because I started using it long before it became a fad. I like it but my b&w checks aren't unique anymore, it looks like I jumped on a fad. :)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This explains the difference between the dogs since they look so much alike.

AKC-Boston Terrier vs Frenchy

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Gas? You should smell a Butters toot. Noxious little devil.

• 4kids4us
    3 years ago

Here is one that makes me want to take my luggage and run - hotel bathrooms with BARN doors. When did this become trendy and whose bright idea was it? First time it happened to me, my mother and I went to visit my daughter in college. It was bad enough there was a barn door for the bathroom, but the bathroom was at the foot of our beds and had a frosted glass door! So if either of us had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, it lit up the whole room. Not to mention the um, sounds coming out of the bathroom since the barn door does not close like a real door. And no fan in the bathroom made delicate bathroom matters a no go.

This is fresh in my mind because I’m on a college visit with my son and we have another stupid barn door bathroom!! At least this room has the bathroom to the side upon entrance rather than at the foot of the bed but same issue, no fan and door just slides with a gaping hole that lets out sound.

This is the third time I’ve stayed in a newly renovated hotel with these stupid doors. Do designers not realize that many travelers do not travel alone? I wish I knew when I was booking as I never would have chosen this hotel.

• Lars
    3 years ago

I couldn't watch more than two minutes of it. I really don't care what anyone else likes or thinks is trendy, and I certainly don't care what he thinks, even if I might agree with him.

The "glam" doesn't bother me - the French bulldogs do, but then I don't like most dogs anyway, and I especially dislike any kind of dog with "bull" in its name, starting with pit bulls. I guess part of this is that I've really disliked people I've known that had French bulldogs, but I don't like dogs that have breathing problems anyway. It seems cruel to breed them with that kind of a problem. Besides that, I just think they are basically ugly. When I was a teenager, I had a toy Manchester, and I thought he was much better looking.

Barn doors are okay for barns and sheds - for residences, they still look like barns or sheds. Maybe people want to feel like they live in a barn - I do not.

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

This harkens back to the question about who people are influenced by, what it takes to have an opinion other's would follow. This guy states it upfront and basically invites us all to just move on..all his opinions were sound IMHO but did not need to hear him say it to know it and already live it.

• lakeaffect_gw
    3 years ago

We have a barn door in our house, from the downstairs den/guest room into the attached 3/4 bath. My SIL is in a wheelchair, and is very independent and prefers not to have help navigating anything, and we put one in because if offers excellent access for her to shower and use the bathroom solo, like she does in her own home. The room and bathroom aren’t large, and the sliding door seemed like the only option for that space to be fully handicapped accessible. Also, I like them, and it works in our casual, unfussy home.

4 kids, I’ve never run across one in a hotel, and wonder if that’s also for handicapped access or just a space consideration, as not having the door swing, especially of a 36” door, can make a difference for furniture placement and clearances.

I thought he was very engaging and I enjoyed his sense of humor, but I never take any designer’s thoughts seriously, they’re just people with opinions, not arbiters of anything.

• hhireno
    3 years ago

I, too, was in a hotel with a frosted glass barn door on the bathroom. The frosted glass did not let in enough light from the bedroom to make the bathroom useable without turning on the light, and, as 4kids pointed out, allowed enough light out into the dark bedroom to distrupt a sleeping partner. Using a solid barn door would have eliminated the midnight light show.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES