SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_288508758

Looking for advice on how to negotiate a custom build contract.

HU-288508758
3 years ago

I will potentially be signing a contract for a custom build in the mountains of western NC in the next week. With how crazy the market is right now, I’m really concerned about covering all bases to ensure I end up with a house I can afford. I’m looking for any advice about key things I should look out for or things I should ask to add to the contract to to provide the most benefit and protection for myself.
Our builder works off of a cost + fixed fee contract, but I also have heard them say things like 'marking up sub contractors' labor'. The contract mentions labor + 25% overhead (for profit, labor burden, etc.) Only If their own employees work on the project. I don't see anywhere that it mentions marking up the 'cost' of bids from other subs.
We are considering asking if any changes between the bids and actual we could pay at cost with no additional markups. Is this reasonable to ask?
Are builders receptive to negotiations on markup margins outright?
We are financing the build and there is a cash deposit required. Apparently the builder asks 5% if we are not financing but 10% if we are financing. Are builders negotiable in this regard?
Are there certain stipulations we can ask for explicitly to protect us from the builder not putting in a good faith attempting to controlling cost?
This is my first build. I'm sure there are lots of little surprises that can happen in a new construction, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments (12)