SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mhellerq

ikea install issue - need extra wide side panels -or better ideas?

mh smith
3 years ago

I'm so sad. I'm having the Ikea recommended contractors install my kitchen. Cabinets are all in and counter was coming tomorrow because I noticed that they lined up the side panels with the front of the cabinet doors and this left at least a 1/4" gap, sometimes more, between the back of each side panel and the wall and they just filled it with caulk. It looks horrible. Everything is put together and the trim pieces on top and bottom line up with the end pieces.

I'm not going to accept this because it looks like a kid just put together a toy and then gobbed goo into the gaps.

Is there an easy way to fix it?

Getting the side panels back against the wall would mean removing trim along ceiling (ceiling height cabinets), removing trim under uppers, scooching panels back, reattaching everything. Most of my bottom cabinets have drawers so it would mean removing drawers, unscrewing side panels and moving back, and rescrewing door fronts and side panels.

I'm afraid this much taking apart and putting together will compromise the boxes and drawer fronts - we're going to be pulling those drawers full of heavy pots and pans and trash and food for the 25 years.

Is there any better idea?

For the uppers, we could just remove the 15" side panels and replace with side panels intended for lowers but cut to line up in front where current ones line up in front. But for lowers I don't know a solution - if we had side panels that were wider than the standard we could cut, but can't find that.

Help!! I'm so upset. I feel like this is 10 giant steps back.

Has anyone solved this or does anyone have any brilliant ideas?

Thanks

Comments (8)