SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_531714274

Did a lot unpermitted work, what should I do to sell the house?

HU-531714274
3 years ago

My brother and I decided to buy an old home to renovate ourselves and make a profit when we eventually plan to move. We did not have much knowledge and did not do much research before going into this and now after reading online, I feel like we've gotten ourselves in a big mess. I realized that a lot of the changes we've made would most likely have required a permit. We've taken down a wall, moved the stove gas line, moved baseboards (water pipes), gutted and redid the shower in the bathroom, added/removed electrical wiring, pretty much everything essential. The kitchen is still unfinished as we have not had the time to start on it yet, but I do have a small amount saved that would only be able to cover material costs. Although I do not think a permit would be required to just put in new cabinets/appliances(?), could be wrong. But I do not want to go forward with this if I know that we will have trouble selling this house with all this unpermitted work. At this point I just want to walk away from the house but we've spent a lot of money and time. Is there anything we should do to make the house sellable to buyers? Or should we try to sell the house "as-is"?

Comments (33)