SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anagurka1

What lamp heights would work in this room?

anagurka1
3 years ago

What lamp heights would work in this room?

I’ve included heights of the furniture, and also other dimensions in case those are helpful.

Our ceilings are 8'.

Headboard & Nightstands

Headboard height – 56-1/4”

Nightstand height – 30”

(Nightstand width – 30”)
(Nightstand depth 17-1/2”)

Current lamp height – 24” (I’m not sure where this lamp will end up. It can stay or it can go to another room.)

I’m more concerned with the aesthetics (i.e., balance, proportion, etc.) than I am with reading in bed and where the bottom of the lampshade falls in relation to where I sit. I often use a headlamp for reading and don’t rely solely on the lamp for my reading light.

Dresser

Dresser height – 38”
(Dresser width – 59”)
(Dresser depth – 17-1/2”)

Top of mirror is 34-1/2” from top of dresser.

Other Info

The bed is queen-sized.

I plan to focus on lamps that accommodate 150-watt bulbs. The two nightstand lamps and another on the dresser will be the only lights in this approximately 12 x 16 room.

My chin level while sitting in bed to read – approx. 50.” The head of the mattress is a bit high because I have a 5” tapered wedge under the mattress for acid reflux.

In case anyone wants to post suggestions -- which I’d of course welcome -- we prefer modern / contemporary / transitional with white / off-white drum (or close to drum shape) shade. But any suggestions are welcome.

The quilt will probably go as it doesn’t seem sophisticated enough for the furniture. New bedding is on the list. No definite thoughts yet on what the bedding will look like.

And while we’re at it, can I put any artwork above the headboard? Seems a little tight and the height would be awkward. (That register is awkward, too.)

Thank you for any comments, suggestions, and guidelines. The Houzz community is amazing!

Comments (9)