SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_yaeger71

looking to fix water damage on wall

Cheryl Yaeger
3 years ago

Hello! Several months ago, I had water damage from a leak in the apartment above mine, it caused some damage to the walls in the kitchen and living room. Things dried up pretty quickly and there was a mildewy smell off an on for a couple of weeks. At the time I held off doing anything to (a) involve insurance and (b) I haven't really wanted people in my apartment on account of covid.

Now I'm looking to get this repaired and not entirely sure where to start, I was hoping someone here would be able to answer a few questions for me. I'm starting with the living room (pictures included) and will tackle the kitchen walls that were damaged later. My questions are:

• Is there name for these fractal-type lines that developed on the walls?
  • Just to be safe, should I get a mold detector? I see various moisture detectors online at various price points, are they able to check for mold in the walls without actually breaking a hole into it?
  • The handyman in my building seemed to think I should just be able to get the walls re-plastered, but I'm wondering if I should hire someone more specialized. Thoughts?

Comments (2)