SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zkathy

Another North Carolina Hosta garden in early spring and a question

zkathy z7a NC
3 years ago

Hi All! I have been on the missing list I know. I check in now and then but I missed the whole alphabet. I have a question about a garden problem and I’ll share some pics from this month. I covered about 8 hostas that had just started to unfurl because we had a freeze last night, but you’d never know it today, it’s a gorgeous day in the garden here.

So first the question. I have a Winter Snow that has had Southern Blight three times. I posted about it at least twice. I’ve decided to put a whiskey barrel in the spot where it grows, hoping I can keep the soil uncontaminated and maybe I can have a Winter Snow in that spot without the misery of looking at it suffering again. Here’s the question. Do you think the plant itself might have Southern Blight in it? I don’t want to go to the work of putting the barrel there and getting the barrel contaminated by a sick plant. If Winter Snow was readily available I’d just buy another, but it seems to be rare right now.

And here’s some pics from my oh so fragrant winter garden.

Edgeworthia in full bloom.

One of two daphnes in full bloom.

Winter honeysuckle also called Breathe of Spring in full bloom. I planted a twig in an azalea row where one of the azaleas had died and now it’s six feet tall right next to where I park.

And this camellia Greensboro Red isn’t fragrant, but it doesn’t apologize for it. I just received a new camellia Sadaharu Oh to plant based on the rave reviews from under the oaks gardener.

The sweet olive is twelve feet tall these days, but I can’t find the pic. I have three plantings of sweet box which has finished blooming, but the hyacinths are coming online to keep the perfumed air flowing. I figure why live where the winters are generally mild and not have something to entertain me until the hostas come up?

Comments (15)