SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_87127310

Rain Garden Class - Sunset Road, Ann Arbor

HU-87127310
3 years ago

I have a couple of possible locations for a rain garden. My backyard slopes toward the house. 20 years ago I used a Bobcat to slope this side of the house to a dry well (I put in the patio at the same time):

That same project was supposed to include significant grading at the other backyard corner of the house, but I ran out of time and was only able to create a small depression in the spot indicated in this photo:

Fortunately, even that small depression was enough to stop the water from coming into that corner of the basement. However, it is just a dent in the ground there -- it would look nicer as a rain garden. The end of the rain spout is 10' from the house:

The other potential rain garden site is in the front yard. We have a lot of roof area that dumps rain water onto the front yard. I don't think much of that water is making it to the storm system, as the water has quite a bit of lawn to absorb it. Here is the front yard, with the six rain spouts highlighted in red:

Two of the spouts dump water to the left of the front yard's sidewalk, and four to the right of the sidewalk. My wife and I had already decided to convert a majority of the front yard to perennials, so putting a rain garden in the front yard could be a nice part of that perennial project. This is going to be a many year project. Last year my start was to put a block of zebra and elephant grasses in the front to see how they would do there. The theme here is loosely based on the Lurie Garden in Chicago. The central feature is going to be a "river" of salvia (the first part of the river is outlined in blue, above) with grasses running behind the river. The rest of the yard is to be just blocks of perennials, going roughly from shorter to taller as your move back. Anyway, in the photo above I've drawn green blob labeled "A" at a spot I think a rain garden could go. It could get a lot of water from the roof.

For context, this the long (LONG) term plan for the entire front yard. The house is just off the top of the picture, and the street is just off the bottom of the picture.

The proposed rain garden is "A", above. It is quite possible that only a part of this plan will be implemented. I'm starting with the area from the green "A" blob at the top, down to street at the bottom, and bounded by the white cement sidewalk on the left and an informal walk -- shown in light green -- on the right (i.e., the bottom-center part of the drawing). I've already killed off most of that area's grass with layered cardboard and compost.

Also, I'm not necessarily going to put in the the plant species indicated in the labeled sections (I'm definitely open to suggestions). But given the overall plan, is "A" a good location for a rain garden? And if so, what plants would work well there?

Comments (3)