SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abruslaw

Will Hale Navy work with a beige granite and multi color backsplash?

abruslaw
3 years ago

Background: Preferred color scheme has always been some combination of brown/tan because it is all I know. Attempting to modernize my dark space by decorating in a navy/tan/white scheme throughout the house. About to have my kitchen cabinets and island repainted. Desired look is white cabinets with an island accent color. I am not interested in investing in new granite or a backsplash for the "best" outcome, but making the best with what I have. The kitchen peninsula will get a board and batten trim and be painted with the same white as the cabinets. All trim/doors will be repainted in the cabinet color as well. I am also extending the cabinets over the dead space above the fridge. I have 4000k kitchen lightbulbs.

Current Situation: Kitchen walls are unknown beige/tan (found an old SW paint can that the prior owners had for the rest of the house/kitchen ceiling and color matched it, so I don't know the name). Kitchen walls were a very yellow beige (as seen on the unpainted peninsula, which still has the old color) that I hated.

Cabinet color: Based on what I've read, I believe I need to stick with a warm white because my granite/backsplash won't work with a starker white. I think I've settled on White Dove, unless ya'll tell me I'm wrong and there are better options. I want to go as "white" as I can get away with.

Island accent color: I'm leaning towards a charcoal-navy. I don't think I can go too blue, because there is no blue in my granite. My granite has more of a charcoal/black color, and the little tiles in the backsplash are dark with a few pops of a lighter blue. I initially chose SW Cyberspace, but the contractor wants to use a BM paint, so I'm looking at Hale Navy (not interested in having BM match SW, I've seen a lot of posts about how it is never quite right, so I think I would prefer to just find a BM color to use). Hale Navy definitely seems more blue when I hold my painted board samples up to it, but I do like it. My concern is, can I go bluer? Or, would it not look right with my granite and backsplash?

Because my granite is a bit outdated, I am having trouble finding photos that pair Hale Navy with a beige granite. Seems when people use Hale Navy, they update their counters as well.

Appreciate any insight!

Comments (28)