SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lhutcheson36

asking for ideas on paint and decor for family room facelift

Linda
3 years ago

Hi Houzz friends; this is my current family room. As you can see by the toys and changing table, I have small children. My husband and I are thinking about starting a diy project that includes new flooring throughout, new paint, and possibly
new kitchen cabinets and expansion of kitchen island. We will be removing the knee wall that separates the kitchen from the family room to open up the space. The bar area that is pictured in the last picture will be removed, and I’m planning on making it a small home office nook/corner because this space is currently not used effectively. I painted the fireplace this dark gray a few years ago; I don’t hate it, but the whole room feels dark and dingy. We took out the side tables and lamps to child proof, but eventually we can start putting those things back. My husband insists on keeping the two dark couches because they are not old, and the kids spill things and it cleans up easy and they are super comfortable. Does anyone have some good tips on how to make this room feel more airy and welcoming ( especially thinking of good paint colors) ? We spend most of our time here and if we redo the kitchen cabinets, I’ll go with a transitional style with white/cream cabinets.

Comments (10)