SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marybocatx

Nearing the Finish Line...11th Hour TILE Advice Needed! PICS INCLUDED

MaryBocaTX
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are currently in the (hopefully) final stage of our full-gut kitchen renovation...23 years in the making...which is almost as long as we’ve been in this house.

I’ve been lurking & learning for about 6 months, and I just KNOW you guys can help!

The kitchen we took out (that pretty much disintegrated in shame upon removal) was original to the home (1973), except for the Silestone counters we added about 20 years ago.

Now, bear in mind we live in Dallas, TX, home of the ever-shifting house foundations. This causes all manner of problems for people here, not the least of which are that foundation repairs ARE NOT covered by insurance. So, to make a long story even longer with info you probably don't care about, we could not reno the kitchen until the foundation had been repaired (picture cracking backsplashes, countertop seams parting and rising like stair steps, etc.) to the tune of almost $30,000.

If anyone cares about why it’s so expensive, I can fill you in.

Moving on - We have finally made it through the contractor vetting/contract signing/demo-ing/outside wall & porch removing/new foundation pouring/support beam adding/saltillo tile jackhammering portion of this adventure and here we are almost three months in WITHOUT A KITCHEN, and have arrived (not a moment too soon for you guys, I’m sure) at my dilemma.

The new cabinets have been placed (yea!) including my first ever kitchen island (okay, first island period - it’s not like I’ve had an island in the master bath or something), and I need advice on what to do about a decorative cement tile section that will be behind our gas cooktop (another first for us - my DH’s one requirement...he’ll probably kill us all).

See, the problem is, I’m keeping the rest of the backsplash very plain (I mean actual ‘vanilla’ colored field tiles) due to the...wait for it...BLUE perimeter painted cabinets. The island and a built-in buffet will be SW Alabaster, but everything else will be SW Cay. OMG I’m going to have a panic attack just writing it. The painters should arrive tomorrow to start prep and I may not survive. I’ve always wanted blue painted cabinets in my kitchen (that remind me of the color of the sky prior to a storm at our beloved vacation spot. How cheesy is that?) Well now it’s time to pay the piper and I might be regretting having ever looked at that sky.

The part I am debating is whether or not to put a black (?) pencil tile around the cement tile section to frame it in, or just let the field tile abut it directly. I like the ‘deconstructed’ look of no border, but since the field tile isn’t an exact-exact match to the background in the cement tile I’m thinking it might be better with some separation.

I’ve attached pics of the old kitchen (just prior to demo - I mean, sure it was a cr*p hole, but it was neat and clean before the packing started), as well as a pic of some of the tiles and the countertop sample (Dekton ”Bromo”), and a couple of pics of what the kitchen looks like right now.

PLEASE let me know what you think I should do about the tile (and anything else you think is important, of course!) - I haven’t even ordered the field tile yet so I’m in kind of a time crunch.

Thanks so much for having read at least this far - you guys are AWESOME!!!

Old kitchen (I warned you):

Old kitchen (with DMiL on her knees prepping the old cabinet doors for blue paint samples - she’s a saint):

Backsplash decorative rectangle tiles/countertop sample, etc:

“Kitchen” today:

Comments (35)