SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_1528400872

Whiteflies Again! Boo- Suggestions Please.

B R
3 years ago

Unfortunately, the whiteflies have already returned to my garden this year. So far only on Julia Childs. Guess they have no problem with -4degree temperatures.

Last fall they arrived in mass, like a cloud, working to destroy everything. It has been years and years since I have had a problem with them, so I wondered if I have planted a host plant that drew them to my garden. I avoid citrus and Ficus and the only new plant varieties I introduced last year were heliotrope and clematis. .

I have been researching solutions today. Last year I resorted to Dominion 2L as a soil drench and it works but supposedly kills the earth worms, not sure about beneficial micros. I read that it did NOT harm beneficials like lady bugs, wasp, bees. A post about contaminating nectar from the SUS 209 discussion concerns me. My Dominion read did not indict that, however I nurture my soil, so it is concerning, and I hate to resort to that again.

Most other products are just not effective on large infestations of whiteflies. I find the recommendation for water wash off, sticky strips and Neem oil amusing at best. Whiteflies reproduce so fast; it feels impossible to keep up. This new product SN 209 sounded encouraging and it says it works for whitefly but when I called the company, they said using a soil drench and a foliar spray would be best. Both done every 2 weeks. I wonder? I sure would like an easier solution. Toting heavy water cans is hard on my back these days - every 2 wks. may be a no-go for me.

Anyone with thoughts on this???

Comment