SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
detailaddict

Curtain extensions vs. new curtains

detailaddict
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We'll be moving to a new home soon with higher ceilings, and I need to modify our current bedroom curtains if I'm going to continue using them. However our new bedroom will have more windows, and I'm trying to decide if it would be simpler to start with the curtains I have, add extensions and then make more "extended" curtains to match, or just start completely over making all full-length curtains. I can certainly find a use for the shorter pair by making throw pillows, cushions etc. out of the fabric later on. And I think one extended pair using a contrasting pattern in the same room as full-length curtains of all the same fabric would look odd. I don't think I could extend the short pair using the same fabric as it's a botanical print and would require an exact match-up to avoid looking like bad extensions.

In any case I'll be making four new curtain panels, two of them double-width as they're for a bay window and this pattern doesn't come in extra-wide fabric (and I couldn't find one I like better). Here is the pattern of the curtains in need of lengthening:

Scandinavian cotton fabric Botanic Leaf LIV 100% Cotton | Etsy · More Info

So...should I make eight curtain panels with extensions, or start over?

Comments (3)