SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_koz

Range Hood Insert Recommendation + MUA Question

Jason Koz
3 years ago

Hello!

We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen in our newly purchased house. We are keeping the ~10 year old 48" Viking gas range (with flat top griddle/grill) that we inherited.

I'm looking for either a 46-52" hood insert (48-54" finished size) to pair with our 48" range and probably need 900cfm or greater. Our contractor will frame the insert and build a custom box for it (my wife doesn't like the stainless chimney styles). While the BTU output for the 6-burner + flat top grill/griddle range is quite high, I'm sure we'll never be using more than 3-4 burners simultaneously.

I've searched and searched on the Houzz forum and it seems that there are a lot of mixed opinions on range hoods! We want something quiet for day to day use when the hood is run at lower speeds. Of course, we'll need to be able to have a decent amount of power on occasion, but realistically, I doubt we'll need to run it on high speed except for a few minutes here and there. When running on high speed, we can always open up the kitchen window on the adjacent wall about 8ft. away from the center of the range hood.

I would love some recommendations from people who are happy/unhappy with their range hoods!

More details:

There is a wall cap for a 7" ducted hood directly above the range near where the ceiling meets the wall. I know this won't be sufficient so my contractor is having someone come look at installing a 10" wall cap in it's place. I don't think we have any options to vent the exhaust elsewhere, as the master bath is directly above the kitchen, so roof venting is not an option.

Since roof/attic ducting is not an option, we either need a unit with an internal blower OR we could put an external blower on the exterior wall directly behind the hood if you think that the exterior blower would make a difference in noise when mounted outside directly behind the hood?

We live in San Diego and make up air requirements don't seem to really exist in Southern California from what I'm seeing. Our home is 3000+ square feet, 2 stories and was built in 1998. Homes here are not super tight from what I've heard due to the temperate climate year-round. There are 2 gas furnaces (attic and garage) and a gas dryer (just inside from the garage) but none of them are particularly close to the kitchen. There is a direct-vent gas fireplace (no pilot) 40-50ft. from the range which rarely gets used.

That said, if we SHOULD consider adding make up air, I would consider doing something if I could do it pretty inexpensively (unheated). The ceilings of our kitchen our currently open and all the drywall has been removed.

Is there such thing as an inexpensive yet relatively effective way to add unheated MUA when the range hood is running? We can add a dampered wall cap and some ducting + ceiling vent/register if it makes sense. I'm thinking something simple where the damper opens up when the hood runs. Or at least when the fan speed on the hood gets above a certain point. Surely, a simple MUA system exists and is better than nothing, no? I see Broan and others make kits.

Alternatively, we can manually open the kitchen window when running the hood at higher speeds. Because of our climate, unheated MUA is fine with me. It does get cool at night much of the year, but it's rarely below 45-50 degrees during the hours we would be cooking/awake.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (8)