SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceynyc

Need help with basement colors

staceynyc
3 years ago

Hi, i need to figure out a wall color for our dark basement. The floor will be a grayish vinyl plank flooring. The only furniture staying is the dark gray couch and i plan on getting a glossy white tv console. I was leaning towards white walls to brighten up the room and to contrast the couch but am also considering grey. I’m worried that grey will be too dull or that white won’t look good against the white tv console. Looking for ideas. Should I paint everything white except the wall with the tv and make that an accent wall in grey? Do accent walls look strange if the couch and tv stand are off-center (the sitting area will be pushed close to one side of the room to make space for a future pool table). Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (19)

• Maureen
    3 years ago

Perhaps reconsider the white glossy console and go with a light grey rustic style and consider storage needs.

Then you can paint walls a warm white and add a complimentary rug to ground the seating area.

Also...textured cushions, a floor lamp and some fun art

staceynyc thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

No gray, finally it is out. I would go with off-white, so no blend with white console, trim.

staceynyc thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

Or warmer with red-orange-yellow undertones

• threers
    3 years ago

A warm white will be great in this room.Make sure your lighting is right ...see Patricia Caldwell's advice above. And please consider some color other than gray as the main color for your room, especially as your room is "a dark basement." Find a fabric, or wallpaper,or piece of artwork that you love for color inspiration. Make this room your own and not a copy of a furniture ad.

staceynyc thanked threers
  • staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

These are great suggestions. I didn't even consider a warmer white. I'm not into rustic decor. Do you think a stark white console would look okay against a warmer white wall? Also, I haven't picked the flooring yet. I don't have to do the floor in a grey vinyl plank. I can do other shades as well. Is there a shade of flooring that would pair well with that grey couch? Thanks!

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just started looking at whites and simply white and white dove look nice (both BM). Any thoughts on those?

• threers
    3 years ago

To your first question , yes, I have a pure white built in bookcase against a BM Swiss White wall and it looks just fine. "Stark" , white is an opinion; what you need to think about is a true white or pure white. So your console is a pure white . Depending on the natural light you have in the room and the lamps you have or will have you can use soft yellow or soft blue walls with your gray sofa or even a soft olive green. Go to a paint store and pick up color chips and bring them home.

As for your floor, I think you could go with a warm brown "wood" color rather than a gray floor.. Take a pillow from your couch and go to a flooring store and ask for information. A good salesperson will be able to help you "see"what goes with your sofa. I have lived in and decorated 12 different homes and apartments. i have learned from my mistakes. You can learn what you like and what "goes" with what by looking on line, in books and magazines .

This may take time you don't think you have but spending time making good choices is so much better than living with regret or spending money on doing it again. Good luck .

• threers
    3 years ago

Stacie,

BM Simply White and White Dove are two very good whites. You will see them mentioned often here on Houzz as good "whites" I have used Swiss Coffee and Cotton Balls , both BM colors, as warmer whites. My sister talked me into using BM Balboa Mist in my west facing dining room and it is a pretty, warm gray and actually kind of "misty" looking. Dining room floor and furniture are a warm sort of cherry wood and a chairs are upholstered in a soft aqua fabric....

• Maureen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

White console against off white wall.

Maybe reconsider the grey flooring

Maybe something like these for some contrast

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks. This is so helpful. I’m going to look at samples today. So should I look for a light/medium wood with warm undertones since the white walls will have warm undertones!

• Maureen
    3 years ago

If you can bring home samples and place them next to couch, as it should be your main item to compliment. The white walls will go with almost any flooring.

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks.

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m so confused about white paint colors at this point. I keep reading that if the basement is dark, white will look dingy. I plan on changing the light to LED lights. I put samples of simply white (looks stark) and white dove (dull/beige looking). What are thoughts on cloud white? I love the pictures above that people posted but is that look impossible to achieve in my dark basement?

Attached is a picture of the floor color I think I’m going with (life proof dusk cherry) although it looks darker in my basement.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

My personal experience with white walls would make me shy away from having them in your basement.

Back in 1996 I bought a home in Southern California. and painted everything white. I had all white walls, white trim, white doors and very light floors. I had 10' wide windows on every outside wall and tons of natural daylight flooding the house with the bright sunny days. I loved it! I got tired of it after about 10 years and re-painted using taupe and blue green grays and deep reds. That also looked amazing.

I sold that home and moved to Central Pennsylvania. I bought a home with a lot of windows, but the days are often cloudy/overcast and they are not all huge windows. This is a fixer and the front of the home has hideous metallic gold fleck wallpaper and the back end of the house was painted white. I have added ceiling lights and lamps, but the white just falls flat. The Taupe I used in SC is too dark here and the colors that I used in SC turn gray and muddy here.

I am using the same color white for trim and ceiling, but I am repainting the white walls with a mid toned neutral and the bright white trim to give me the contrast that makes the rooms feel bright and clean. The neutral I have selected is C2 Filament.

• asammart
    3 years ago

We just finished our basement and in a way it is quite similar--very little natural light, light vinyl plank flooring (we went with a pine). We went with valspar white sash for the walls--which is basically a white with a hint of a blue. We love it--the color makes it feel open, airy and calm even though it really is just a cave. Here's a pic during the construction process.

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like how that looks. What color furniture do you have in there now?

• asammart
    3 years ago

Funny you ask...We just moved some of our furniture down there--an old dark gray sectional sofa, white coffee table and a few random chairs--and realized that while it works colorwise, it all just looks old in the new space, so I suspect an ikea run is in our future. My sense, though is that just about any color furniture would work with the wall color--they really read as a neutral, with just enough of the blue undertone to keep them from being flat or dingy.

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you!