SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meridian_baldacci

White stuff on dahlia?!? Help!

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I’ve been growing this dahlia indoors (to KEEP indoors, not move outside), and so far for the last week and a half it has been THRIVING! Until yesterday. When I woke up, a couple of the little leaves had these tiny white spots on them. After monitoring through the day and doing some research, I concluded I must have thrips - I did see a tiny whitish bug scurry in the soil, and by the end of the day there were shiny black spots (poop I think). I also noticed tiny black dots deep inside the new shoots, though I couldn’t tell if that was just dirt.

I made a homemade insecticide using a tiny bit of meyer’s pure soap and a lot of warm water. That knocked off some of the black spots, as well as most of the white residue.

but this morning when I woke up, it was back (see photo) and on more leaves. On most of the leaves it’s appearing in the unusual v-shaped pattern pictured here.

I CAN wipe it off, so it may just be a surface

level problem, but it doesn’t look like powdery mildew? I’m what I can tell the base of the plant is fine so I don’t think it’s a soil-borne disease.

What should I do???

Comments (17)