SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Anybody up for a fort Worth spring plant swap?

sylviatexas1
3 years ago

Not suggesting that anyone forgo their mass and of course if we have an outdoor meeting, we can maintain social distancing.
And I'm getting something related to cabin fever!
I do have some plants to share, (proven to be cold hardy with sufficient insulation!) plus some seeds and some flower pots, and it's always good to get together and talk about our gardens.
I'm thinking that we could get together maybe mid-april at the little park with a pavilion just south of the zoo.

Comments (89)

• Debby Chicken Mom
    3 years ago

I just found this group....again after several years. Still trying to get my user name on the site. I was Chicken Mom when I first got together with the group for a spring swap years ago. Then when the discussion moved to Houzz I lost everyone....

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Welcome Debbie!

I think I've had at least three aliases on this site:

Every time they change something, I get lost in the shuffle.

I would love to have A couple of datura. I think the freeze croaked mine.

I will bring everything I can find, and you are welcome to as much of it as you can possibly use.

Shan, I will separate some of my pink Turk's cap for you, would be ecstatic to get some crab apple seedlings, and Mums if possible. Even though they are perennials, they seem to be very short-lived.

• Related Discussions

Anyone planning a plant swap in Fort worth?

Q

Comments (6)
    yes, that is it (although I saw it changed home page look). From there, click on the forums tab near the top. It should take you to the swap pages of that site (not this one). You will have to register there, but I think most people just use their garden web name. You can post your haves and wants and you can edit it as you have more to add or change. So, if you have some trades, you can put them up there. It is like each person has their own forum topic (I guess that's what you'd call it). Anyway, mine would be "alley's haves and wants" (or something like that, I don't remember what I put). Mommyfox and element have been working on it and they've done a really great job. It is so much easier for me to keep up with who has what and what I'm giving. Alison
    ...See More

Shout out to Sylvia, Interest in Fort Worth Spring Swap

Q

Comments (5)
    Pk, I have missed Sylvia. Someone asked about her on KT and another Sylvia said she was the one they were looking for....but I don't think that is her. Her writing style isn't anything like Sylvia's....that we are talking about. The Sylvia I have been looking for lives in Waco, (I think), sold real estate and went to plant swaps. Has anyone heard from "that" Sylvia?
    ...See More

Fort Worth spring swap Saturday April 20th 2019 Forest Park

Q

Comments (8)
    I had just taken my succulents out of the garage LOL. Have to put them back in tomorrow, and the garden looks either festive or like a hobo camp, depending on your point of view, with all the different colors of garage sale blankets over everything else! I have been potting up some of my famous lemon mint and some blue heartleaf skullcap, which is a wonderful butterfly plant. It seeds itself, it has beautiful blue flowers and silvery foliage, once established it cannot be killed, and it grows to about 3 feet high.
    ...See More

Trade list for Fort Worth spring swap April 20th 2019

Q

Comments (53)
    I could not stop to put out signs due to heavy Easter weekend traffic. There is an arrow at University South of the zoo. And how are usual site has a sign that says private parking because there's a big family picnic schedule for today. We are, however, in that parking lot, and the family is it has been very gracious about it. Lots of plants lots of people lots of good Garden chitchat.
    ...See More
  • Debby Chicken Mom
    3 years ago

I potted several datura and am looking around to see what else I might be able to bring. I think I have some seeds I collected last fall that someone might want....I'll need specifics on the meeting place. I've only been to one swap and it was north of the river kind of across from the Botanic Garden....

• lindabuchanan13
    3 years ago

Debbie, welcome back. Most of the spots across from the Botanic Gardens are usually reserved in advance for race events. We have been meeting close to the zoo. If coming from I-30 going west exit at University Drive and go south to Colonial Parkway. Turn left on Colonial and in less then 1/2 mile there will be a small parking lot on the right and in back are a couple of pavilions.

I would love to have one of your datura seedlings. Close to the top of this discussion I listed what I'll have, excluding the Mexican honeysuckle that is barely coming back (not enough to dig).

• Debby Chicken Mom
    3 years ago

The newly potted datura seedlings are in the shade and I'm hoping they'll look fresh and perky by tomorrow morning. They were growing close together and I should have separated them sooner but they looked fairly good today. You're welcome to take a couple of the datura;, Sylvia, you'll have one for back up, just in case. Or to give someone else. I'm just going to bring what I have that is healthy enough on the day of the swap. it is just nice to try to pass on some of the things I've been given. I may be asking advice as well...rust on hollyhock...some weird thing making the newly grown tips of the coreopsis curl up and have brown marks...how to deal with cardboard in compost heap and chicken run.....

• luis_pr
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Shan G., sylviatexas1, I am very disappointed in the Turk's Caps. I had three specimen purchased several years ago from Weston Gardens and they all died in February. I still have them in ICU but for a plant rated hardy all over Texas, man, I expected more. They were mulched and watered 1 day before we froze. Sigh. Oh well, there, I vented. ;o)) Oddly, I drove by a Walmart store that had a much, much larger specimen and that one was apparently coming back from the base (unless it was weeds what I saw). Hee, hee, hee. Yes, weeds were not affected, were they?.... :o)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Can anyone make a Facebook post with a link to this thread?

someone over there is interested in coming to the swap but she can't get the thread to come up, and I don't know how to copy a link on my humble Android phone...

Aaand I just hit the wrong button and wiped out her post.

Her name is Akina Gregory.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Or, if you can send a link to me on Facebook. I am Sylvia L Gordon on FB

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I shouldn't be doing this stuff when I'm tired LOL. Her name is Akina Gregor.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Welcome!

We try to get started by about 10 am.

I will put a directional arrow at the entrance and where you turn into the parking lot.

Just bring whatever you would like someone else to have LOL.

I accidentally pulled up some grape hyacinth, so I now have two small pots of grape hyacinth to bring.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also one pot of gyro, yellow if I remember correctly.

• Shan G.
    3 years ago

luis-pr mine is coming back up from the base! I was outside weeding and planting yesterday and there were tiny leaves at the bottom. I’m glad it made it! That means the only things I lost are my mallow plant and one of the beautyberry bushes (which I also received from swaps here!)

• Shan G.
    3 years ago

Sylvia- do you still need someone to post on FB? I’m pretty sure I’m part of that group already So I could post if needed.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If you could, that would be great. It needs to be some kind of way for us to get over there and put them to get over here, and since I don't want to say I'm not savvy enough to do it, I'll just plead migraine LOL.

There's now a post for the swab under events in that group, so if you do post some kind of a bridge or link or something, be sure to put it on the event post. Thank you so much.

• Debby Chicken Mom
    3 years ago

I don't think I am seeing all the posts on here....What is the name of the Facebook Group so I could look there?

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The group is DFW Texas free cuttings etc, when you open that group go to the line that says rooms, announcements, topics, and slide to the left until you see events. Click on events, and it's the third posting.

• Debby Chicken Mom
    3 years ago

Thanks, Sylvia.....They have 5,000 members?! Good grief....I'm going to do a check later today on what looks promising to bring to the swap.

• Shan G.
    3 years ago

Just posted on FB group

• Debby Chicken Mom
    3 years ago

Not sure if anyone will see this, but I'm planning to attend.

Bringing: Datura seedlings that self seeded, three hydrangea also self rooted, two large crinum bulbs & several smaller ones (white? or white with some red? I don't remember because the blooms last only one day and I don't really like them), two yellow canas, one pink peony, a very sad looking, small dark pink geranium, one dark red snapdragon that was supposed to be light yellow and 3 light green sweet potato vines.

If anyone wants them I can dig some apricot colored iris, Oxyalis (had to look up how to spell it and discovered it is "wood sorrel"), some violets I dug up from my mother-in-law's yard in Iowa that pop up in the lawn here and there and maybe some honeysuckle sprouts.

If requested I could bring cuttings from a dark pink bougainvillea, bridal wreath shrub, deep pink camellia bush, althea/Rose of Sharon shrub with white flowers, yellow knock out rose, light pink geranium.

I also have datura seeds and I'll see if I have any others that should be viable.

Wants: pond plants...we have a couple of water lilies but anything would be great. I'm trying to get cleome, cosmos, nicotiana started from seed, but anything like that would nice. Perennials of any kind. I really prefer pastel colors; orange makes me sweat during summer heat. I love hollyhocks but have rotten luck with them. Grasses I could stick into the wildflower area I'm trying to get going would be super.

In a dream world I'd get oakleaf hydrangea, beautyberry, sweet autumn clematis and hollyhocks that would survive.

• Debby Chicken Mom
    3 years ago

Cuttings from this geranium:

Cuttings from this bougainvillea:

3 plants of this blue salvia:

I can dig some of these apricot iris:

I can dig some Oxyalis:

Three self rooted hydrangea:

Two yellow canas:

Crinium:

Sad geranium:

Pink peony:

Datura and blue salvia plants:

• Debby Chicken Mom
    3 years ago

I can make cuttings from this geranium:

Cuttings from this bougainvillea:

3 plants of this blue salvia:

I can dig apricot iris:

I can dig oxyalis:

Three self rooted hydrangea:

Two yellow canas:

Crinum:

Sad geranium:

Pink peony:

Datura seedlings, blue salvia plants:

• Shan G.
    3 years ago

Debbie- Im interested in your sweet potato vine, apricot colored iris, violets, dark pink bougainvillea, hydrangea and deep pink camellia bush

I have water lily seeds as well as muhly grass, cleome, cosmos and nicotiana seeds. Perennial plants I have include iris (one type is yellow and I’m not sure what color the other is, mums, hostas, orange daylily, sedum and a really small red yucca pup. I have bunches of marigold seedlings, onion sets and I also have lots of different flower seeds and vegetable seeds.

• Shan G.
    3 years ago

We aren’t going out of town so I can make the swap! See everyone Saturday!

• Shan G.
    3 years ago

Linda- do you have another John Fanik phlox (or another phlox) left? I’d also like some shrimp plant and a yarrow of they’re still available?

• Shan G.
    3 years ago

Sylvia- can I get your zebrina hollyhock instead of the Turks cap (mine survived the freeze!)

• lindabuchanan13
    3 years ago

Shan, I can dig another John Fanick phlox and yarrow but not sure about shrimp. They don't look so good.

• Debby Chicken Mom
    3 years ago

Shan, You understand that the bougainvillea and camellia will be cuttings? I'll dig the iris and violets and bring the hydrangea and sweet potato vine along with the cuttings. Do you know the colors of your mums and marigold seedlings? Any idea what size the marigolds will reach?

• Shan G.
    3 years ago

Debby- The mums are purple and yellow (Im not sure which plant is which right now. I’ll post a picture of the marigolds. The plant got huge and was bushy and full of blooms.

• lindabuchanan13
    3 years ago

Shan, I would like some of your cosmo seeds. Also, I will bring cuttings of shrimp plants.

• Debby Chicken Mom
    3 years ago

The mums sound great and I'd like to see the photo of the marigolds. Not sure if have any space with room enough that gets sun,. I'll be glad for you to have the things you mentioned. Sorry for the delay in my response.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry I have been MIA; I dropped my phone, and it started having spasms. Sort of like vertical hold on the old TV sets, only this was blinking blinking blinking blinking at the same time.

I'm too disgusted and angry to talk about what I had to go through to get a phone, but if anybody's interested I'll be glad to spill my guts at the swap LOL.

have not visited the Facebook site yet this morning, but I think I've gone through every post on here, and here is what I I think I am supposed to bring!

DEBBIE:

zebrina hollyhock, most Hardy hollyhock in the history of the universe.

Beautyberry cuttings if mine survived. It doesn't have leaves yet.

pastel perennials if I can find any LOL.

I can take cuttings from some roses. I have Cecile Brunner, archduke Charles, old blush, and a gorgeous big light yellow rose that smells like heaven.

SHAN:.

Daffodils

Jerusalem sage

Yellow yarrow. (Say that five times fast.)

Zebrina hollyhock

LINDA:

Light blue salvia

Things that I would like if everybody has enough.

Bear in mind that I'm famous in my neighborhood for not needing any more plants LOL.

DEBBIE:.

Cannas

apricot Iris

SHAN:

Red yucca

Crabapple seedlings

Tomatoes any kind

LINDA: phlox

Odds and ends that I am planning on bringing if I can cram everything into that little bitty car.

Tree trimmer mulch

Grape hyacinth two pots

Lemon mint

Comfrey or borage, whatever it is

Obedient plant

Tiny sugar snap peas

Pink 4X

Pink 4X

1 soapwort

One pot of Lamb's ears

Inland Sea oats, about a million of them

1 Turk's cap, I think it is pink because that's what Shannon said she wanted, but now she said she doesn't.

The Facebook event started with somebody wanting Iris. To keep them fresh, I will be digging them tomorrow, Thursday, and I will do my best to sort them according to color if I can tell, name if I'm really fortunate LOL. So I will have a box full at least.

• Darlene Galindo
    3 years ago

Sylvia, I would like some cuttings of your roses. I can bring you your coffee that you like or you can pick from what I'm bringing. I'm just bringing a hodgepodge of stuff. Thanks.

sylviatexas1 thanked Darlene Galindo
  • sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

4 o'clocks not 4x!

• Debby Chicken Mom
    3 years ago

So sorry about your phone, Sylvia! I'm not clever enough for a smart phone. I kind of like to shock people by telling them I only have a throw away, drug dealer burner phone....I would LOVE the Zebrina hollyhock. I think it is identical to a plant I got from my Iowa mother-in-law which has had a steady return until this year's cold (and attack by chickens). My last survivor seems dead as a door nail so it would be especially nice to get a new start. Beauty Berry cuttings would be great and maybe a cutting of the fragrant yellow rose. Also sea oats, please. I'll dig iris this afternoon and will have the yellow canas for you. Thanks and good luck with all technical devices!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Okie dokie! Added beautyberry perennials yellow rose cutting in Sea oats for Debbie and rose cuttings for Darlene. It's beginning to look alot like Christmas! 🎀🎇🎄🎀

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bad news: my beautyberry froze all the way to the ground, so I do not have cuttings. Good news: it is starting all over from the ground up! Obviously there is not enough material there for cuttings this spring, but those of you who have had beautyberry might go out and probe around to see if it is indeed dead. It may just be resting. If this one does well, I may have cuttings for the Autumn swap.

• Debby Chicken Mom
    3 years ago

No problem, Sylvia. Glad your beautyberry survived.

• Shan G.
    3 years ago

Sylvia- if you have another Cecile Bruner cutting, could I get one as well?

• Lena Do
    3 years ago

Hi everyone,

Oh, I sure missed going to these plant swaps. It has been ages since the last time I was there and it sounds like it will be a fun event.

• Debby Chicken Mom
    3 years ago

Shan, I'm not sure you will want the violets. Neil Sperry's newsletter today talks about how to eliminate them....They've just been scattered around from place to place since I planted them in a flowerbed several years ago. Sounds invasive so you may not want them. I dug a few plants this afternoon. Couldn't get much dirt along with the roots so we'll see what they look like tomorrow. They must be pretty tough, but you don't want anything invasive that you'll be ripping out all over the place in a few years.

• Shan G.
    3 years ago

Thanks for the warning, Debbie. I prefer moderately behaved plants so I may need to skip the violets. I’m planning to dig everything tomorrow and pot it up (some things are already in pots but some aren’t) and I’ll also bring my seeds.

• Shan G.
    3 years ago

I liked the organization of Sylvia’s post so I’m going to give it a try. Please let me know if I forget anything I’m supposed to bring someone.

I’m bringing:

Sylvia- Red yucca (small), Crabapple tree seedling, Tomato seedling, variegated hostas

Debbie- mums (they’re either purple or yellow and about 2” tall) and marigold seedlings

Linda- Cosmos Seeds

In exchange for:

Sylvia- Daffodils, Jerusalem sage, Yellow yarrow, Zebrina hollyhock and possibly a Cecil Bruner cutting (if you have another?)

Debbie- sweet potato vine, apricot colored iris, dark pink bougainvillea, hydrangea and deep pink camellia bush cutting

Linda- John Fanik phlox, shrimp plant and a yarrow

I also dug up and potted these things today:

- Washington hawthorn seedling

- purple rose of Sharon seedling

- marigold seedlings

- Joan J thornless raspberry (one rooted young cane)

- onion slips

- asiatic lily (small, I think it’s white)

- common orange daylily

- yellow lillies

-misc. Lillies (not sure of the color; my mom gave them to me and they haven’t bloomed yet)

- mums (they’re either purple or yellow and about 2” tall)

- sedum

- mother of thousands

- a paperwhite bulb

- golden crownbeard

- a stem of luscious lemonade lantana (no roots, I broke it off from the base of the plant today.)

I also have an elderberry bush I can bring if someone wants a cutting (and knows how to take a cutting from it- I don’t)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Got my second vaccine, knocked me on my backside! I will be there a little bit late. If you need me, call please 214-980-5496

• Shan G.
    3 years ago

Running late but on my way! Be there by 10:30

• Debby Chicken Mom
    3 years ago

Could not find the meeting place. Efforts outlined on Facebook swap page. Sorry Shan G. Believe me, I made every effort to find the place.........

• Shan G.
    3 years ago

It can be a little tricky to find if you’re not familiar with the location (basicall you have to folllow the zoo traffic then make a right into the parking lot next to the park.)

• Shan G.
    3 years ago

Thanks for today, guys! It was great to see everyone again after so long and swap plants. Thanks for coordinating

, Sylvia.

• lindabuchanan13
    3 years ago

Really enjoyed the swap yesterday. Good to see several new comers. Hope to see all you newbies again in the fall.

• Darlene Galindo
    2 years ago

As usual, I had a good time. It was nice meeting new people. Thanks for hosting, Sylvia.

• Shan G.
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

sylviatexas1 what are the bulbs with the really long leaves that I got from you?

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022