SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajcn

Very neutral 3/4 bathroom; Stay neutral with the shower re-do?

AJCN
3 years ago

So, we partially remodeled our 3/4 bathroom about 6 years ago as part of a kitchen/family room remodel, but we left the shower alone. At that time I didn't know a good tile professional who believed in waterproofing, so I didn't feel confident getting the shower rebuilt. But now I do know a great tile pro and they have rebuilt all my showers except for this one. The tile is becoming discolored from the inside out bc there's no waterproofing which I discovered was true of all the showers in my house. I'm on the schedule for June for this shower, so now I just have to decide what kind of tile I want. Our house is odd in that this is a 3/4 bathroom where you would normally expect to see just a powder room. It's not connected or related to any bedroom. We do use it though bc we have a big family so sometimes a kid will come down to shower if a shared bathroom upstairs is busy. And guests sometimes shower after being in the pool or out on the lake, so I can see why the original builders put it in.

I like it when people glam up their powder rooms, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate for this room since it's a 3/4. I can stay neutral, but I kind of want something a little more fun or colorful. We'll put in a frameless glass door and donate this one to Habitat.

The current paint color is SW Light French Gray and the trim is all white. The adjacent rooms are the family room and the kitchen where the colors are SW Monorail Silver walls, white kitchen cabinets, fairly neutral upholstery with pops of orange, blue and green on pillows and such. The kitchen counters are black for perimeter and white on the island, and a marble subway tile backsplash. So basically all the "hard" surfaces are pretty neutral and we add color with the rugs, pillows. etc.

So, should I do something more interesting/colorful or stay neutral/simple? And if I do go in more of a colorful direction, should it be the same on all 3 walls, or just one wall of color paired with plain on the other 2 walls?

Here's what the 3/4 looks like right now.

It's about 3' x 3' and I'm fine with keeping it the same size. It looks okay from far away, but the curb is turning yellow from the inside out, so we need to redo it.

Comments (8)