SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
duggansamantha

Anyone used FORM for their kitchen cabinets?

Samantha Banowetz
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Looking for experience great/good/bad/horrible using the company FORM for kitchen renovation. Seems too good to be true from a budget standpoint--all of their literature (even for the trade literature) appears to be whitebox Nobilia.

FORM Kitchens

Thanks!

Comments (128)

• Larissa Quirk
    9 months ago

I don't see why any client would need to pay import duty. You're transacting with a US company. How they source their products is part of their business model (and expense).

• PRO
    NYC Kitchen Design
    9 months ago

@Samantha Banowetz | Your kitchen looks amazing! Is it possible to use your pictures on a blog post I am writing about Form Kitchen? I'd love to talk about the product | process and experiences people have made with them. Would that be ok with you to use your kitchen and experience as a reference?

I'd love to hear back from you. Thank you.

• haomuzi
    7 months ago

@ Samantha Banowetz , thank you for sharing, could you please let me know the contractor who installed the kitchen for you? we are also in DC Metro area... do they do floors? and get everything ready to install the cabinets? i am a little clueless what else needs to be done other than design and order the kitchen cabinets. thanks so much

• claire R.
    7 months ago

Hi everyone, thank you for this thread on FORM kitchen. I am very tempted by their product but also worried about finding a GC who can take measurements/assemble and deal with design/fit issues down the road. Anybody here is based in Boston, MA area?

@ Samantha Banowetz : do you have your blog up, would love to take a look and get more information on your experience!

Thank you all.

• Kat
    6 months ago

@Larissa Quirk I'm in Boulder and would love to get your installer's contact # (it sounds like the cabinets can be tricky to install, so it'd be great to go with someone who's done it at least once)

• HU-220692488
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Hello, we installed FORM cabinets about a year ago and would not recommend due to their quality. they are already starting to peel on all the bottom cabinets

• claire R.
    6 months ago

Wow!! 😳 sorry it happened to your cabinets, have you tried to contact customer service?
    Honestly that’s the first time I hear bad experience with product quality itself (usual issues raised were about logistics-installation)

• S T O N E
    6 months ago

They also come with a 25 year warranty….

• nadiuska
    6 months ago

Interesting. FORM = Nobilia kitchens and they are known to be good quality german cabinets. I would def contact them as you do have 25 year warranty.

• HU-220692488
    6 months ago

I just contacted them and they responded right away. they said this shouldnt happen and they are going send replacements since they are under warranty! i didnt realize it was 25 years thanks!

• Miriam Rogers
    6 months ago

Hi there, I am about to order, do what type of wood reproduction and cabinet faces did you get?

• Miriam Rogers
    6 months ago

I thought I would chime in, I promise I will update from start to finish. Today is Oct. 18.23 Paid the initial quote got the samples quickly. Walnut reproduction and taupe gray. Eva is our designer she is amazing, and listened and came up with exactly what I wanted- actually better than I hoped. Taupe matte has this amazing velvet finish, left the wood out on counter vertical to see how it does with oil, its beautiful but yeah not the same velvet finish or clean look, oil/ stuff you will see in certain light, and you will get some finger prints but nothing major and all easy to clean but overall looks good with taupe. The solid have this amazing film that gives them so much depth. I wanted a midcentury warm easy going look and she got that. I wasn’t sure about gray taupe but it works so well.

I went crazy back and forth, and almost switched out all the walnut to white but decided I looooved the rendering and now I am holding my breath bc Im nervous about wood reproduction looking like a break room - but honestly I love the look of this rendering, fingers crossed . Cabinets are a little lighter in the rendering but color is overall correct. My kitchen designer is such a baddie! She is so fast in responding and even though we are knocking down half a wall she still understands. She didn’t pressure me and understands the limits on budger. We paid deposit, got 10% off added more cabinets and total cost was right under 27k. I didn’t upgrade too much But I got way cooler stuff than most dull kitchens. I pull the trigger after measuring one more time this week. I hope to GOD I can find someone who can install this, and that it all comes in one piece. They said 13 weeks we will see. They offer build zoom but I got a guy who I am going to try to trust. I literally go to sleep dreaming about this kitchen!

• Michele Torchia
    5 months ago

We are thrilled with our FORM Kitchens renovation. From the first design meeting to the last aspect of our installation, we have been supported and delighted. Our kitchen designer, Crystal, listened to us and created a space that is not only aesthetically beautiful but amazingly functional. We usually cook as a family, and we have a ton of kitchen equipment, so optimizing our space was key. The clean lines of FORM products let us customize every aspect of the design. Crystal and the Customer Success Team worked with our general contractor to make it all a reality.

We are 2 months post-completion. We remain enthralled with our kitchen. It is beautiful, it's fun to cook and bake there, we eat at the kitchen island almost every night. It's that beautiful.

As a well designed kitchen, it is extremely easy to keep clean. Pleasantly surprised to learn that.

• Miriam Rogers
    4 months ago

so heres an update ordered cabinets on nov 13. you’re supposed to get update

• Your approved design will be submitted to the factory in Germany for final specification, sizing, and safety checks, typically taking 2-3 weeks.

( its been a month today) no idea when they are comimg. next im supposed to get-

• Factory quoted date: Once your order is confirmed, our Customer Success team will share your factory-quoted delivery date.

so my ? is how long after you paid did you wait?

• Michele Torchia
    4 months ago

Paid on 6/5, told 9/18 as expected delivery.Actually arrived in Port NY on 7/29 and we had them rush the delivery before we left on vacation the following week. Arrived 8/9, 5-6 weeks ahead of time. We were told when we began in March that the fall was the slowest time for deliveries, that they are swamped with orders anticipating installation before the holidays. I would be messaging your customer service rep regularly...

• Miriam Rogers
    4 months ago

hi well form was very quick to respond. they reached out to call me and apologize for the delay- there was a design element that made it take longer.
    my date is 14 weeks out but they are going to try to rush it bc of delay. So far so good. They seem to really want to be on time helpful and communicate. i’ll update as it goes forward, i know that these forums help alleviate anxiety for people who are considering it.

• Patty Eilers
    2 months ago

Can anyone confirm here the depth of the base cabinets and the depth of the wall cabinets? Are the base cabinets really only 22" deep (with the fronts on)? I'm assuming then that the wall cabinets would be only 12" deep (again, with the fronts on)--correct?

• I. E.
    2 months ago

Our base cabinets (standard size) were appx. 22 inch deep, but they're held away from the wall by appx. 2 inches with spacer brackets that get installed behind the cabinets, and the 3/4-ish inch fronts will bring the entire back to front surface to about 24.5-25 inches total. We actually found this setup to be super helpful b/c it made easy to deal with water pipes behind one of the base cabinets without having to run a pipe into and through the cabinets (rather,. we only had to cut out an access hole in case we needed to service the pipe). We also ran our dishwasher drain behind the cabinets instead of having to cut a side hole. So, I guess there are trade offs - less cabinet space depth, but benefit from being able to run piping/cables behind the cabinets.

I don't remember the exact depth of the upper wall cabinets inside, but the total from back to front (with fronts on) for our standard cabinets come out to about 14.5-15 inches.

The FORM Kitchen team should be able to get you exact measurements (down to the last mm) if you message their help desk (I remember that desk being super responsive to every question we had).

• haomuzi
    2 months ago

@ Michele Torchia , do you mind share the size of your kitche. it looks great. thank you.

• Michele Torchia
    2 months ago

11x17. Was 11x14 beforr. we had GC remove wing walls and the Form designer worked with us to expans thr kitchen footprint.

• sansdey
    2 months ago

We are going through the installation process and had to stop the work as their proposed design had an error. They have been good about taking responsibility and correcting the design. However, this means we will need new cabinets, which they said will take 4 months. This is a bit of a challenging timeline given we were told by the designer that the worst case scenario would be 3 months. I read on this thread that some people needed replacement cabinets. I will really appreciate if anyone here can let us know how long it took you to get the replacements. Waiting for 4 months will have a huge impact on our timeline and quality of life. We are here in SF Bay area where they reportedly have a huge presense and therefore the 4 month wait sounds a little odd. To answer the original poster, once we have these issues out of our way, I would be happy to report back on our expereince along with pictures

• Samantha Banowetz
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@sansdey, we did have to have a replacement cabinet sent (though we were able to fix the original) and it took 3 months. However, it was a custom size cabinet (narrowed depth) so I would think standard cabinets would have a shorter lead time. Also, this was 2 years ago -- we ordered the replacement Dec 2021, it arrived Mar 2022.

• Samantha Banowetz
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I'm so pleased this thread has continued and hopefully helped so many people! We've had our "still feels new" kitchen for 2 full years now and I am still obsessed. Everything still looks and slides as well as it did the first day. Our GC was by today with a photographer to document and after they left I took the chance to grab my own photos with a CLEAN house. We've got 3 small kids, so the counter is usually covered in "crafts."

Highlighted cabinet features continue to be:

--Maxi Line - extra height + extra storage

--Toe-kick drawers

--Soft-close everything

--The drawers are SOOOOO nice

--Push open/close under breakfast bar cabinets

--GET the upgraded draw sides and the utensil and peg organizers

Cabinets: Form Walnut + Matte Black

Counter: Ikea / Ceasarstone

Appliances: Miele, Samsung, Bosch, KitchenAid

Faucet + Sink: Kraus

Floors: Stuga

Pendants: West Elm

Stools: Blu Dot

Dog: Bernedoodle free to a good home....Just kidding, We love that giant monster.

• Miriam Rogers
    2 months ago

it looks so pretty! i love the walnut, im happy im getting those. they are on the way i think arriving around 19th

• andreambarr
    2 months ago

So the form cabinets are actually Nobilia or just like them? This is an amazing thread! Thank you all for your input!

• Samantha Banowetz
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@andreambarr they are ACTUALLY nobilia cabinets. You can download Nobilia's catalogues and Form can source anything from them! Even the delivery invoice was branded nobilia. I don't know if Form has taken additional steps to brand the work as I think I was one of the first to engage them once they were open to the public.

I was in a german kitchen center the other day and peeked the nobilia cabinets -- they are the same as mine.

• andreambarr
    2 months ago

Thank you Samantha! I looked all over the Form website and they only reference being made in Germany- I thought maybe they were Siematic ones. Fantastic news. Did you say you are in metro DC? We are in Loudoun County- could you share your contractor that completed the job? Again- thanks!

• Sonya Hodson
    2 months ago

@ Samantha Banowetz your kitchen is beautiful. Tell me about sourcing your counter tops from IKEA! Was that a cost effective decision? I’d not considered Ikea for stone. Brilliant. We are seriously considering Form. But we need a timely cabinet and design process. Would you be willing to Private Message me your approx $ range of your Form kitchen? We are having to re-do work and regroup under duress. I need excellent pros and Form may be a good fit. - thanks.

• Samantha Banowetz
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@Sonya Hodson, I tried to message you but it wasn't available to your profile. I just enabled mine, happy to chat more about details.

• Samantha Banowetz
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@andreambarr, we are in VA -- Annandale. Our GC was Helen Chinkuli / Meticulous Consulting Group. We found her via that Form GC finder website. She was pretty good. Her team was very nice and professional, but definitely hadn't installed german cabinets before so it took extra time and I had to keep a watchful eye on them.

The end product though is absolutely lovely.

• Justin Brown
    last month

I wanted to second that getting a crew who has installed German cabinets before is very important unless you want to be constantly correcting them. I’m about half way through my install and it has been exhausting.

• Miriam Rogers
    last month

update on my cabinets.
    they arrive today! order was ordered placed nov 13 (we paid) confirmed nov 27- then they fulfill and movement starts from 2 places in germany to ship, then port where there was a small wait going through customs then the last mile warehouse where they are supposed to reach out with in a week to schedule but they reached out the day they arrived feb 19 on there way in 3 days! so i emptied everything out and here we are today which is cool. form has been great with communication. they gave me a link to track the package which shows every little thing done and any changes. very useful.

installer is calling form today to discuss the install. he demoed half the kitchen and did electrical and is going to do blocking in my walls bc cabinets are heavy and need added support. Here’s a break down on costs -i had 3 quotes one from 13k one
    20k quote
    and 40k to install, tear down wall demo etc which is insane. my guy does not think it’s going to be an issue to install so fingers crossed.

if i chose the 40k install it would have been 90k to do the kitchen with quartzite counters and appliances. total kitchen is about 62k those counters with backsplash (15k) made it pricey cabinets were 27k appliances like 7k. i’ll let you know how long install takes. praying there’s nothing wrong with cabinets.

• Miriam Rogers
    last month

here’s another update. everything arrived nothing was damaged from the looks of it. i’ll let you know how the install goes starting monday

• CoCo Angellah
    last month

Hi Miriam can you let us know how it went thanks for all the updates very helpful

• Miriam Rogers
    last month

i’m going to update as soon as possible waiting to hear from company on an issue and how they respond.

• Miriam Rogers
    27 days ago

ok I wanted to update- there was a design hiccup but form worked with us and the whole thing is resolved.

I would definitely recommend them. i am waiting on my full quartzite slab backsplash.

My installer did a fantastic job. we are in pensacola florida if you want contact lmk.

the hinges cabinets everything are superior to everything i looked for. installation can be easy as long as your installer works from top down in lines. Highly recommend if you want modern and beautiful and unique.

• Miriam Rogers
    11 days ago

ok all is done except the under cabinet lights- quartzite counters and backsplash

• Miriam Rogers
    11 days ago

here’s the after! 2 thumbs up on form kitchen-

• Laura Holmes
    6 days ago

Your kitchen is beautiful, roughly what size space #cabinets do you have. Trying to do my budget based on your costs. My space is definitely smaller !

• sansdey
    2 days ago

Miriam, I am impressed to hear about the situation with your cabinets. Ours has not been as "smooth sailing." Their designer messed up with technical measurement , and then the second designer didn't catch the mistake either. What started as a straight forward design-and-order process has created a miserable living condition for us because we were sent wrong sized cabinets. Now, we are without a kitchen as we are waiting for right sized cabinets. Anyone thnking of working with FORM, please remeber that if anything goes south, inclutding receiving wrong cabinets, missing parts, damage during transportation (all of which happened with us), you are stuck for another 3 months to get the right order. They advertise about having warehouses locally, but everything gets shipped from Germany. I am not sure what role local warehouses play. I will be writing a detailed post about pro and cons about working with this company so people can make informed decision.

• Miriam Rogers
    2 days ago

My kitchen cabinets came in at 27k

• Miriam Rogers
    2 days ago

if you want a cost break down reach out…

• Miriam Rogers
    2 days ago

Sandey that totally stinks… i am very very lucky that 1. everything arrived perfect. i’m missing one part the thing that goes over my trash can is missing a brace. I think other than that-
    our hiccup was limited to one cubby thing and we were able to work around it although it did cost us more for labor we did not have to wait 3 months without a kitchen which would have made me crazy.
    who was your designer? Eva was ours and very good. I had to measure and remeasure and yet again measure about a million times and push back ordering bc things were off just by the tiniest amount but thats how the process has to be I guess. what would help is clearer numbers on the measurements you have to do a lot of math to get it into inches!
    It is an impossibly hard thing to do- ordering a kitchen online… from a German Factory. I think it’s a major feat that I got exactly what I wanted.

• Miriam Rogers
    2 days ago

here are measurements if you want to look.

• Laura Holmes
    2 days ago

@miriam rogers This is awesone thanks ! @sansdey thanks for the heads up definitely something to consider

• tamar917
    yesterday

@Miriam Rogers your kitchen is gorgeous, and your experience reassures me. My FORM cabinets arrive next Tuesday. My experience so far has been largely positive. Eva was my designer too, and I loved working with her. One of the big things I wanted in this new kitchen was adequate pantry space. I live in a NYC apartment, so adequate pantry space - for someone who cooks and bakes - is at best a cabinet. My apartment is in a 1906 building, and there is a lot to work around. The space for the pantry is too shallow for a pull out, and anyway I prefer runs of long, shallow shelves. FORM didn’t have anything that would work for me, so Eva and the team at FORM came up with a solution that will let us construct a 40”w x 20”d pantry where we can mount 12”d shelves, and install racks on the FORM doors. There have been some glitches here and there (have someone measure carefully!) but all along the way I have found FORM incredibly responsive. I’ll let you know how it goes from here.

• Samantha Banowetz
    yesterday

Measurements and costs are probably super helpful on this chain. I'll add mine as well.

We received the trade discount so we saved 15% off the final costs, and didn't have to pay sales tax WHICH WAS AWESOME!

Miriam, your kitchen looks fabulous!

• Justin Brown
    yesterday

I wanted to write a quick note to say that I had a good experience with FORM overall and love my new kitchen. I will say that it is very important to work with a contractor that has installed German cabinets before unless you are prepared to oversee every little detail of the installation. I saw this suggestion posted elsewhere but threw caution to the wind in an effort to lighten my budget and I wished I hadn’t. Despite the issues with installation, I’d probably go with FORM again.

• Miriam Rogers
    7 hours ago

just got under cabinet lights installed. we have one tiny bit of paint to do in that corner and i need to get 3 outlet covers but this baby is done. worth it! i would definitely recommend FORM from cracker barrel to architectural digest my friend said

• Justin Brown
    4 hours ago

I’m jealous of your under counter lighting and wish I would have sprung for it.