SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adarland2003

Dahlia tuber help

Andrew Darland
3 years ago

So I was shopping at Lowe’s today for hardware and I passed a shelf of flower bulbs. me being myself COULDNT help it but dahlia “bulbs” were $5 so I picked up kelvin floodlight and crazy love types. I went through feeling them until I found pretty solid feeling ones and nice looking ones. I took them home and most of the tubers hanging off the necks were broken but theres a huge main one in the middle and part of the old stalk. I soaked it for a few hours cause it was pretty dry. Since our last frost is 3 weeks away (right now our nights are in the 40s and daytime is in the high 70s) I decided to start them indoors. I placed 6-7 inches of soil in a tub and buried them where the top was about 2 inches below surface. and I probably shouldn’t of done this next step but I watered them cause the soil was dry. I placed the closed tub on a heat mat in my room and vented it slightly. I was wondering if even though some tubers were damaged if they still have a chance if the main one was intact? Or if I’m doing the starting early process correctly if not what can I do to better it? and how long should they take to come up? Sorry for so many questions and impatience. thank you! Any tips will help (I mean they were only $5 so I thought I’d take the chance)

Comments (8)