SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faron79

Pfizer shot#1...DONE!

Faron79
3 years ago

SO glad to get #1 done finally!!!

I'm 59&1/2 now....mild Type-2, & should lose more weight. Still 6'2", 275lbs!

DW got hers on Wed am, mine was Thursday @ 5:40pm.

She had a sore arm for a couple days.

I only had very vague TMJ-like headache sensations starting soon after. Next day.....NOTHING!!! NO soreness, redness, headache....nothing! Forgot I had the shot!! I hope that doesn't mean I'll get my butt kicked by shot #2 ?!!??

I'm kinda shocked I haven't had COVID! I've been working since day 1 of the shut-downs, in a busy Hardware-Store. I've been using the clear mouth-nose shield for almost a year. Obviously doesn't filter anything, but..... I was tested 4 times last year, all negative. DW had it over Thanksgiving, with only nuisance symptoms. I had negative test #3 a few days later, & negative #4 mid-Dec. It's so weird....she works in an office....no public contact!!

So if I've had it....it was ZERO symptoms!!

Shot #2 in late March.

Faron

Comments (29)

• roarah
    3 years ago

I got my first moderna Saturday. The nurse put it on top of shoulder and my arm hurts a lot 48 hours later but no other symptoms. I believe she put it in too high is the only reason for my pain.

Glad you did not catch covid!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Congrats! I got my 1st moderna on Friday. DH gets his 2nd pfizer shot on Thrs.

I'm feeling more immune already!!

• Michele
    3 years ago

My bother and his partner both had it. They didn’t even know till they finally were able to get their routine check-ups during the summer when things opened up around here. They had antibodies. They never felt sick. Who knows where they got it because they were strict. Deliveries only. They didn’t go out. They must caught it before the lockdown here. (NYC) Good thing so they didn’t spread it unknowingly.

My sister-in-law and family all got sick. Two of them breezed through it, two of them had a really hard time for a good month and still don’t feel great.

My brother and partner are scheduled this month. MIL is scheduled this week. I don’t know why it took so long. She’s the same age as my mom who received her second Pfizer on February 8. No side effects at all. They are 92.

My sister, BIL and my friend all have received two Modernas. My friend felt bad after the second.

My hubs and I can’t get ours yet. He’s 63 and I’ll be 59 (on 4/20)

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

Congrats, Faron, and roarah!

DH had his first Pfizer on Saturday as well at a mass vaccination event. Their office has also been in person for a year! One of the office staff had covid over the holidays but no one at work got it and no one in her family got it, including her sister who works with them. She has no idea how she contracted it although in all honesty the younger people in the office do go out to bars and restaurants. They have a mask mandate and bought HEPA filters for the office. So, they are getting their appointments this week, although I think the one who had covid has to wait. He had a bit of a sore arm on Saturday night, and that was it.

I am in a vaccine trial but I might have to get unblinded because there is a mandate we all return to work soon. I had planned to be remote through May. The details are being worked out. Gah, I hate this place, and I'll keep looking.

And neither of us had antibodies at our last blood draws.

• localeater
    3 years ago

Congrats to all you vaccinees

Faron79 thanked localeater
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Just a word of caution, my brother got covid between his 1st and 2nd shots. They say to wait 2 weeks after 2nd dose for immunity. Glad you haven’t been sick Faron. I know people who have had mild symptoms and those who have been pretty sick, even hospitalized (one over 80 days). Sadly, we lost a friend to covid and a good friend lost his father. 😢. Im so thankful we have stayed well, but am eager to be vaccinated!

Faron79 thanked Tina Marie
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Yay, Faron! It’s good to have that feeling that you are on the path to feeling some better immunity, isn’t it? I had my second shot on Tuesday (Pfizer) and it was such a relief. I only had a mild headache the next morning and it went away quickly. Could have just been sinus, I don’t know. I took a Tylenol immediately after the shot and before I went to bed. No after effects at all except a slightly sore arm. Good to hear you didn’t get Covid!

Roarah, the shot is supposed to be given in the deltoid, so yours was given correctly, if perhaps a bit high.

• Sueb20
    3 years ago

My dad also got COVID between his first and second shot.

Congrats, Faron!

Faron79 thanked Sueb20
  • graywings123
    3 years ago

I had my second shot of the Moderna vaccine last Thursday. Felt out of sorts Thursday, with my temp reaching 101.3 by midnight. Then I felt like I had a hangover all day Friday. So grateful for being able to get the vaccine.

Faron79 thanked graywings123
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    3 years ago

I get my first dose of Phizer tomorrow at 2pm.

Faron79 thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • Bonnie
    3 years ago

Yay Faron! I am glad you have managed to avoid covid while working with the public.

i got my first dose of Pfizer two weeks ago (Massachusetts) and look forward to my second shot next week.

Faron79 thanked Bonnie
  • Marlene Oliver
    3 years ago

Like Annie, I felt I was becoming immune the moment I got the first injection. It was a bit euphoric. :-) I had a sore arm for a couple of days which I welcomed because it reminded me I did indeed have my first shot. Nine days after the injection I had a small rash near the injection site (which is not common but is a side effect).

The CDC just published guidelines for the fully vaccinated.

Faron79 thanked Marlene Oliver
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

wow Sue, how is he doing?

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Just a word of caution, my brother got covid between his 1st and 2nd shots. They say to wait 2 weeks after 2nd dose for immunity.

The vaccine doesn't confer complete immunity. It is possible to contract Covid after being fully vaccinated. The vaccine protects against severe disease and death.

Faron79 thanked terezosa / terriks
  • Marlene Oliver
    3 years ago

Sue, I would buy that guidebook :-).

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Yeah we're waiting. DH wanted to go the gym which opens its locker rooms this week, but I told him better to wait until after his 2nd shot. Last thing we want to do is blow it in the home stretch after a year of successfully avoiding this thing.

• HU-753479426
    3 years ago

We have to wait for our 2nd doses scheduled on March 25th, then my understanding is that 2 weeks after we might be safe to interact with small groups of other people if all have been vaccinated. We got the Pfizer version. My arm is still sore but I've had rotator cuff surgery on that side and have not been pain free, so there's that. The other arm is off-limits because of lymphedema following breast cancer surgery. Getting old is complicated.

seagrass

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

So sad...DH just called friends of his who moved away, wanting to check in on them and the family. Turns out a dear friend of theirs and her son died from COVID. They had a big family get together for xmas, and everyone got sick and two are dead. So sad. The son apparently had a stroke, ended up in the hospital, seemed to be doing better, but then had a 2nd stroke and died.

But I can't help but think that it was avoidable.

Faron79 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • texanjana
    3 years ago

I am so glad you got your first vaccine Faron. We are fully vaccinated and so is my mom so we will be giving her a big hug this Saturday. She is 87. I feel so fortunate that her AL facility also vaccinated all family members.

Oh my, Annie. That is so tragic.

Faron79 thanked texanjana
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

And every SINGLE day he says “I am so lucky.” I wish he would write a guidebook for aging well.

@Sueb20 my dad was that way. He always said (even at his sickest) that there were others worse off then he was. He didn't age so well, because of his heart condition, but he made it to 90! His attitude was the very best. He never acted old. The day my sister and I drove him to his first AL, we were pulling out of the road his house is on and he said "I'm not looking back". He was determined to make the best of it. My dad is my hero.

• OllieJane
    3 years ago

I've decided to wait for the J&J vaccine, since I have already had Covid. Then, I looked at my doctors facebook today and he said the same thing about people who have had Covid. I personally feel, that two vaccines after being immune anyway, is just way too much for a body. Especially Moderna, of which the first dose is more powerful than the Pfizer first dose. I mainly only want the vaccine for proof for traveling, if we end up having to have it to fly.

I find it a little concerning that two on this post alone, know of someone who have gotten Covid in between doses. I am certainly not saying people should not get their vaccines, because I do, but I just find that more than a little coincidental.

• amykath
    3 years ago

I got my first dose of Moderna two days ago. I am super sensitive to all medications. I can hardly find an atibiotic of which I am not allergic. I know that is different than a vaccine. After my first dose I felt dizzy, nauseous and exhausted. I slept fitfully for 15 hours. It might have been less fitful if my arm didn't ache so much! I am very greatful I got the 1st vaccine and that I can get the 2nd... so I should not complain!

I am hoping the second dose doesn't put me flat out. I read something intersting in regards to the Pfizer vaccine vs. the Moderna. I have cut and pasted it below:

Each dose of Pfizer’s contains 30 micrograms of vaccine. Moderna went with a much larger dose of vaccine, 100 micrograms. It means the company is using a little more than three times as much vaccine per person as Pfizer is. And yet, they aren’t getting better results. The government’s vaccine development program, formerly called Operation Warp Speed, has asked Moderna to test if it could lower the dosage of its vaccine without eroding the vaccine’s protection.

• Michele
    3 years ago

They lowered the age to 60 on Wednesday. We got right on it and my hubs got the first dose of moderna today!

• cooper8828
    3 years ago

I got my first Pfizer vaccine today. I go back for the second on 4/2, Good Friday. I'm hoping not to feel like crap on Easter, but would rather have some short-term discomfort versus full-blown Covid.

• Faron79
    Original Author
    3 years ago

SO glad more Tiers are opening-up lotsa places!!!!

Shot #2 for me be March 25th or 26th I believe. I'll get an email reminding me to schedule it for a brief time-window when I'm 1 week away from Shot 2.

I REALLY hope I don't get "Hit by a Truck" from Shot #2! Shot 1 was thankfully TOTALLY uneventful. Someone here mentioned a RC surgery. Since I've had BOTH shoulders repaired......

;-)

Faron

• daki
    3 years ago

Georgia opens up to 55+ and various health conditions (including overweight) on March 15 (tomorrow). DH is 55, and I will be this summer. I am also overweight and that is one of the allowed health conditions, so I'm totally using that. The GA vaccine site sent out an email at 5pm Friday opening up appointments. DH logged in 5 minutes later and the first open day was booked up state wide as he was typing in info. He got us appts for the 24th (Pfizer) at Delta's air museum. With the difficulting getting shots in GA, it feels like we just got good seats for a concert from Ticketmaster. My mom had a lot of difficulty getting an appointment and ended up finding out about one accepting walk ins and was able to get her shots. Hopefully GA is improving.

• LucyStar1
    3 years ago

I got my first vaccination (Pfizer) two weeks ago. I got the "Hit by a Truck" feeling from the first shot. It was a feeling of extreme exhaustion (exhausted to the point of feeling sick). I go for the second shot in two weeks. I am being extra careful between shots. I am even wearing my mask when I am out walking the dog.

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

I may have to unblind from my vaccine trial if they cannot confirm the crossover dates. If it's May I cannot wait. I did a home antibody test appropriate for this vaccine and I am negative, so I am 99% sure I got the placebo. I also had no reactions at all. I thought I might have to report back to work in person this week. I can only wait so long given that vaccines are available to me, and MIL has just had her second dose, and DH has had one.

Faron79 thanked gsciencechick