SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_664194647

Oversize Water Softener for Better Flow Rate?

Keith
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello--

We are in the process of moving into new home and want to buy a water softener. We are a household of 3 people, 3 bathrooms, no pool, no hot tub and have a water hardness of ~10gpg. Plumbing is a mix of 1" and .75". I like the idea of a Fleck control valve and have been looking mostly at systems that have a 5600sxt.

Originally I was looking at a 1.5 cu/ft system based on what I thought we might need from a capacity perspective...

https://store.afwfilters.com/water-softeners/48000-grain/48k-water-softener-with-10-resin-and-fleck-5600sxt-controller/

However, I noticed the above model was advertised with a Service Flow of 6.5 GPM and a Peak Flow of 9.8 GPM. In our house it is not uncommon to run the dishwasher, washing machine, and shower at the same time. This got me concerned above flow rate so we started looking at a 2 cu/ft model...

https://store.afwfilters.com/water-softeners/64-000-grain/64k-water-softener-with-10-resin-and-fleck-5600sxt-controller/#tab-reviews

This seems oversized from a capacity standpoint but the Service Flow of 10 GPM and Peak Flow of 15 GPM makes me more comfortable. Have no idea if this pertinent but I tested how long it took to fill a 5 gallon bucket from the hose bib attached to the main water line and it worked out to 12 GPM.

Given the above there are some questions that come to mind...

1) The downside of the larger system seems to be less efficient salt usage. Are there other downsides I'm not thinking of? I've read resin channeling can be an issue with oversized systems, but as long as we are forcing a regeneration every couple weeks I've been told that shouldn't be an issue.

2) I've read the internals of the 5600 are .75". With a mix of 1" and 0.75" plumbing in the house is that a concern? I don't really know what I'm looking at, so take this with a grain of salt, but it looks like the plumbing coming off the main line is 1" but it quickly branches off to .75".

3) My understanding is that 2 cu/ft of resin and a 12" tank is the recommended upper limit for a 5600. Is operating at that limit a concern?

Up until a week ago I knew nothing about water softeners...still don't know much but have done enough reading online to thoroughly confuse myself :)

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (3)