SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaykaym

comparing estimates for kitchen cabinets

Jaykaym
3 years ago

I'm working on a remodel of a small condo kitchen. This is not a high-end project but I have let all of the bidding contractors know that I want better than bottom-of-the-line cabinets and that good hardware is important to me. Unfortunately, they all provided slightly different kitchen design ideas for pricing but the essential kitchen is the same. No bells, no whistles, just an 8X11 L-shape with a 15 inch pantry closet. So, my cabinet estimates are as follows:

J&K $9441

Local Amish made semi-custom $9500

Tru cabinets $6078

Merilatt $8100

Unspecified $7000

Waypoint $3300

While doing my research here on HOUZZ I find that sometimes people have estimates for Waypoint that are more expensive than the J&K which is certainly not true in this case, that all of these are considered budget lines, and that everyone has trouble comparing cabinet prices and quality.

I guess my questions are:

• Is the WAYPOINT price too good to be true and what questions should I be asking?
  • Is it worth going with the Amish semi-custom in a kitchen that really won't need much custom work?
  • I will want pull-outs and drawers where possible and are any of these manufacturers better when it comes to options inside the cabinets?
  • Does anyone have any knowledge of the hardware on these brands? Only the Merilatt mentioned Blum hardware.

The cabinet manufacturer is not my final decision point with these bids as I have lots of other stuff going on with this remodel but it does give me an indication if these people actually listened to me and what I want. If I say I want good hardware on the cabinets I expect to have a bid with a cabinet line with good hardware. If I say I want a better than bottom-of-the-line cabinet but not high end have they provided me an estimate of a better than "flip" quality cabinet?

Comments (21)