ilovetogrow

Hosta Mini 2929

Today is the day for the little guys. Show off your minis

Next Vase shaped or upright

Have a great day!

Comments (34)

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    3 years ago

Awesome jokes, Paula- I literally laughed out loud- especially the Alien meme. I don’t have any minis, though. I guess Blue Mouse Ears is a mini, though it seems like a small to me... and I didn’t get any pictures of it last year.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

My recent foray into minis isn’t going great. I really do like them but they are just surviving in my yard not thriving.

Sun Mouse

Mini Mouse (I really really like this one so I hope it puts on some growth this year)

• Related Discussions

will trade mini/small hosta to mini/small hosta

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Marchela, I know you said the post is closed, but I just thought I'd check, I would love to trade for silver threads and golden needles. I have quite a few minis that I could possibly get an eye or two from, I have an eye of cameo if you didn't get that already. Thanks, Catrina
    ...See More

First Time Ordering from Green Mountain Hosta (mini haul)

Q

Comments (18)
    Do not order from this Company . Paid for $263.00 of Hostas in May of 2020 and still not have received order 1.5 years later. Mutliple excuses and admissions from them that there are staffing issues, day care issues, illness issues. Have asked for an immediate refund to my credit card and their response was that I was harassing them. You are taking a huge risk with your hard earned money and time with this company.
    ...See More

Streaked small or mini hosta breeders?

Q

Comments (10)
    ken is right most aren't good growers or all that fertile. like the mouse turds, vigorous mutations usually don't set alot of seed. if i liked minis i would start with small streakers and add venusta pollen, and maybe tiaras. then select for the most vigorous and fertile babies to grow on into the next generation.
    ...See More

Looking for 3 mini hostas for this 3 part ceramic planter I made.

Q

Comments (21)
    I actually tried several and didn't really like the ones that I had planned, so it became quite a shuffle. I moved a division of Church Mouse in. This had outgrown a shallower planter I had made 4 years ago. I had bought School Mouse and Pandora's Box in clearance in fall 2019 for this planter. I did use the School Mouse, but the Pandora's Box was all wrong in terms of scale. So I divided my old Cracker Crumbs, and put a section of that in. That's not right either, but I needed to fill the space til I find the right thing. I want a gold: but SHORT leaved and wavy, which I have not found. I pulled a couple of leaves from other golds I already have to hold them up for scale, like Dragon Tails and Munchkin Fire, and those weren't right either.
    ...See More
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago

Paula great as always. "Accordion" to me I especially like the bear cloud!

windymess hope you get pics of your BME this year. Are you not a fan of minis? I say there is always room for them!

oursteelers yours look very happy to me.

nw/Ann love that venusta combo! I wish they would come up with a mini as bright as your fall BME.

Appletini

Blue Elf just planted.

BME

Curly Fries

Dixie Chick

Frosted Mini Hearts

Frosted Mouse Ears

Funny Mouse

Gold Drop

Holy Mouse Ears

3 years ago

Round 2.

Itsy Bitsy Spider

Ladybug

Lemon Frost

Lemon Lime

Lakeside Down Sized

Mini Skirt

Oze

Sun Mouse

venusta

Woodland Elf

It still surprises me what is listed as a mini such as LS Down Sized & Gold Drop.

What is not like Giantland Mouse Cheese, Cracker Crumbs etc.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    3 years ago

I've started growing some minis and young small-medium in these round pots. I started in 2018 and I think I already need to transplant the Titanium that's in the middle this year. What was I thinking putting a medium in this pot. Well, they were all pretty close to the same size when I planted them. Clockwise from the little plant in front: Pixie Vamp, Cookie Crumbs, Fruit Loop, Fantasy Island, Coconut Custard.

Since I haven't learned my lesson yet, I put Kaleidochrome in the middle of this pot last year (I actually hope it does outgrow the pot this year). Clockwise from the empty spot which was later filled with Li'l Smooch: Crumb Cake, Cherry Tart, Dinner Mint, Yippee (actually, the only mini is the one not pictured). Oh well, it should still look good for this year.

Here is Li'l Smooch and Lemon Kiss

Appletini in the middle is a mini-small, but the two Apple Candy are mediums. planted in 2016 and 2017 respectively, go figure. I suppose it comes down to leaf area (<= 6 square inches) but the dog ate my ruler.

So there must be more narrow leaved minis (or not), Crested Surf:

Dorset Clown

Hawkeye

Kanzi

Lakeside Storm Watch

Lemon Zinger - a great grower and looker!
    Guess I have more than I thought.

3 years ago

Yes Steve depending on who you ascribe to for size. Diana Grenfell the British guru goes by leaf size in sq. inches. Mark Zilis says any 8" or under in height is a mini. I use Don Rawson List to double check when I am in doubt. He has 2 mini lists for registered and not registered. Such a great resource.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

Mini-hostas are minor part of my garden. I am still learning how to grow them, as their tendency to heave and then die is rather expensive.

Mouse Trap

Front walkway mini collection in April 2020 with back row as Pilgrim, School Mouse, Teaspoon, and front row as Munchkin Fire, Mouse Trap, and Limey Lisa

For me, minis are a little accent near big plants. Thes are at the end of the front walkway near the front steps. Visible minis are on the right as Teaspoon, Mouse Trap, and Pilgrim.

Blue Mouse Ears in bloom, with Tiny Gems (near/under Heuchera left) and Green Thumb barely visible, and Blue Ivory for contrast/scale.

Tiny Gems on left near Heuchera, and Blue Mouse Ears peaking from bottom. Blue Ivory is the "big" hosta. Late summer.

Blue Ivory has been left in the background. Late summer picture of Blue Mouse Ears (upper left), Green Thumb (with thumb), and Tiny Gems.

Lemon Kiss in early August in bloom, with Grand Tiara on right.

Gotcha day for my replacement Sun Mouse (bottom right) on my lap in the car, leaving Plant Delights Nursery.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    3 years ago

utog..my minis have heaved..but I didn't lose any..I remember peren explaining it to me..a tiny hosta with a small rootball doesn't have enough grip to anchor it in freezing and thawing ground..it makes sense..as they grow it's happening less..
    on the other hand even my tiniest weeds can survive a hurricane..it's a tough job to dig them out 😂..

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Peren - I didn't get a pic of BME's because it was obscured by the Blue Cadet that was formerly Baby Doll.... Baby Doll reverted pretty quickly. At the end of one year it looked suspect, by the spring it was all Blue Cadet. That's just one of my experiences with mini's, and maybe Baby Doll isn't really a mini - it just never got bigger so it seemed like a mini (lol). It sure got bigger faster after it reverted!

I do like the mini's though, and I took a good look at Don Rawson's lists and actually I guess I have several: Gold Drop, Blue Cadet, Nippers, Teaspoon, Lemon Lime. I just thought of those all as small.

Also - I forgot about venusta - definitely a mini.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

I have several minis, most are growing in pots.

Wiggles and Squiggles was new last season.

Pandora’s Box has been in its pot for several years.

Holy Mouse Ears has been in this pot for a few years, it’s my smallest. I had to pluck off a sport this past season.

Dragon Tails Blue Mouse Ears and Mighty Mouse are sharing a pot. BME will probably have to be divided soon, it will take over.

Remember Me has been in the garden for a few years and has been a great performer, seems impervious to conditions, looks good all season long.

Surfer Girl is extremely robust, increases like crazy.

Cracker Crumbs, another robust mini hosta.

Sherry

• miles10612
    3 years ago

Steve as usual has many, many minis--all gorgeous. I am blown away by all the plants everyone has in their gardens. Minis are the ultimate there's always room for more plants. Of course I've done that with many plants and shrubs too! I love Appletini. My Purple Bow Tie has very deep purple flowers--the hybridizer, David Bowe belongs to my hosta club. Of course I've got a few Blue Mouse Ears and a couple Mini Skirts. Some of the mouse group haven't done well but others are ok. Kaleidoscope is a medium sized plant in my yard but I've had it and babied it for 6 or 7 years. For all of you who plant minis in pots, do you overwinter them in a shed or garage? Cracker Crumbs looks interesting.

• Laura z4b / Helsinki, Finland
    3 years ago

Minis (well, any new hosta) are a bit risky in my overcrowded garden since the adjacent plants tend to choke them. In spring I always seem to find empty spaces for new plants and as you know this is a misconception and by July the empty spots have vanished..

Cameo is my new favourite in minis

.. and Blue Chip is also really cute

3 years ago

The containers are adorable Steve, utog & Sherry.

Sherry your Pandora's Box looks deliriously happy!

windymess sorry you had trouble with Baby Doll. I have got to get Nippers! After you posted I looked at the very small and saw a bunch more!

I forgot lo show White Dove with the minis.

Some listed as very small, I still say Cracker Crumbs should be listed as a mini lol!

Cracker Crumbs is terrific miles!

Crumb Cake

Dinner Mint

Goober - would not consider it very small.

Giantland Mouse Cheese

Lakeside Dot Com

3 years ago

A few more very small.

Mighty Mouse

Plug Nickel

Ruffled Mouse Ears

Stiletto

Strawberry Yogurt suffering in the drought.

Teaspoon does not look very small compared to LS Dot Com to its left.

Winsome

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

Miles, my potted hosta are stored in my unheated shed. All foliage is trimmed off and they are ignored until temps are high enough to bring them out. I try put them away a bit damp. The first day out they get a big drink. I’ve been doing this for about five years. The only hosta that didn’t make it was Mini Skirt, tried twice.

Sherry

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

I forgot my pot of Picasso, Cameo, and Miniskirt.

April 2020, with Crumb Cake peeking in on the right.

6/27/2020, on a very hot day.

3 years ago

miles..I do pretty much the same as Sherry but I don't clip off the old foliage..this is Regal Splendor on April 3 2020..the first day out of the shed..

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 years ago

Lol. I hadn’t noticed that this is 2929 post in title. Time just flew by.

• n2hostas (Kansas)
    3 years ago

I WILL get to Minis but since my move. I have land to Hostafy! Wish I had the money!! Time, I tell myself and then I look at the obits and say NOW is the time!!!! lol!!!!

• old_dirt 6a
    3 years ago

Lots of beautiful minis here. I only have a few but have had plans for a dedicated mini planting, just need to follow through.

3 years ago

But wait, there's more! Little Treasure having a bounce back year

Lovely Rita at the top and Pamela Lee.

Moonshadow

Obsession at dusk

Olive Branch with a photo bomb by Luna Moth

Sweetheart

Toy Soldier and Tick Tock

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    3 years ago

What great mini's here. Wonderful to put in an arrangement or a little spot in the garden.

Pandora's Box

Frosted Mouse Ears, First Mate, Munchkin Fire, Little Treasure

Mini Skirt

Frosted Mouse Ears

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    3 years ago

Part 2

Sun Mouse, Blue Mouse Ears, Mighty Mouse

Cracker Crumbs, Lakeside Zinger - need one more in this pot

Bitsy Gold

3 years ago

I wanted to explain..I put my pot inside a box which is inside a garbage bag..then I cover it with leaves (insulation)..so I don't bother to clip off my hosta's dying leaves since I'm covering it with leaves..

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    3 years ago

So many mini cuties. Some I have like Lakeside Zinger, Teaspoon, and Stiletto have grown into what I would say are smalls in my garden. I haven't mastered overwintering minis in pots. Three out of five came back last winter.

Imp

Dragon Tails

Slim & Trim - showing some fertilizer burn

All three were planted into the ground last fall. Thanks for reminding me to clear the leaves off of them to check if they've heaved.

3 years ago

sandyslopes..I like your ceramic owl..

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    3 years ago

The minis are so cute! I have begun my collection of them, but like Sandyslopes and some others, I don't feel like I've mastered the overwintering of them---nor really any part of growing them in pots! Any suggestions? I find that bark mixtures get pretty dry over the winter, even if the pot went into the garage/shed moist. I've wondered whether the media is just too dry for them and they have suffered because of that. I think I am going to have to continue having mini hosta envy!

3 years ago

Your dry bark mixture sounds perfect. Do you water over the winter? With a dry mix it may need water once a month. Or be like Ken and just throw some snow onto the top of the pot.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

I also think the dry bark mix sounds good. I feel like my problem with mini’s is they are too wet in winter

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    3 years ago

Steve, I have grouped a few into a pot. I usually don't water in winter, but I have found that smaller pots seem to get so dry in the garage. We are having higher than normal temperatures for a few days before going back to normal weather. So I took your advice and put some snow on the pots. I don't think there will be any snow left in a day or two. I also bury some very small pots into the ground for overwintering.

Oursteelers, why are your pots so wet in winter? Where do you store them?

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

Newhostalady, mine are outside and even though they have plenty of drainage holes I think the potting soil is just too wet and heavy for the roots of minis. The larger ones don’t have a problem but it’s the only reason I can think of why my minis are so puny.

Even my minis in the ground can have a hard time cause of my saturated soil

3 years ago

on my Indianapolis FB garden group I've seen comments about mixing compost with potting soil..has anyone tried this?..

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

I have not but I will this spring. At this point I don’t have anything to lose! Thank you!