Anyone purchase AARP ?

Judy Good

Everyone gets the "junk mail" that includes AARP envelopes? Who has it and what does it give you?

SaveComment23Like
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maire_cate

Maybe this will help you decide.

https://www.aarp.org/benefits-discounts/is-aarp-membership-worth-it.html

DH and I belong and find some of the benefits worthwhile. Some of them overlap with our AAA subscription.

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

We do. DH didn’t want to join so I did and when he found out we saved on our homeowners insurance he was all in. Also save on hotels.

Our home insurer is not AARP, but we do get a discount because we are AARP members.

Save    
Elizabeth

I called their 800 number to get off their mailing list,

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

amac is better ...

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

Strong no. At one time they did present to Congress etc. things to help older people but for some time they have been a more of a political action fund raiser. Most discounts that being a member can also be received if you are an AAA member without all of the requests to donate frequently.

3 Likes Save    
maire_cate

I don't think I've never received a request from AARP to donate. We send quite a few packages through UPS and get a 5% discount.

1 Like Save    
maifleur03

You were lucky maire_cate as when we were members there was always a mailing asking us to help them with their mission.

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Maire_cate, I didn't know there is a UPS discount. Good to know, thanks.

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

I've been a member of AARP for years and have never once received a request for money.

3 Likes Save    
sushipup1

Have never gotten money requests from AARP except for standard membership notice. Since I am on our local County Senior Advisory committee, I know a couple of people who volunteer with AARP and I support all their efforts. One person worked with voter registration and education (change to mail-in ballots) last year, another has taught driver education for seniors for years. Another person I know heads a non-profit that helps seniors with adaptive technology, and she just won a $5000 grant from AARP for her group's worthy work.

I wholeheartedly support AARP.

2 Likes Save    
sal 60 Hanzlik

I had their road side service and it was cheaper than AAA and covered more miles for towing.

Save    
Raye Smith

AMAC is much better. ARRP fell off the rails during the unaffordable care act debacle. I think I had to seen them a cease and desist email to stop their junk mail.

1 Like Save    
sushipup1

Here's a little bit about AMAC, a politically conservative group that wants to increase the age at which one can file for Social Security benefits, among other positions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Mature_American_Citizens

2 Likes Save    
chisue

We joined many years ago and quit once they licensed the organization's good name to United Health Care -- one of the biggest Medicare Supplemental Insurance gougers in the business. I never found a service that wouldn't give me a Senior discount OR the AARP membership discount (same percentage),

1 Like Save    
jane__ny

We've had it as a supplement to Medicare. Picks up all the co-pays. Hubby is 88 and I am 72. Have never received a bill. Doctors love it. We would never have any of the Advantage plans. Straight medicare and AARP cover everything when traveling in the US. No list of doctors, we can change docs without notifying them. I love AARP as it covers everything Medicare doesn't cover.

2 Likes Save    
sal 60 Hanzlik

We also have United health care and very pleased with it.

Save    
Alisande

I disagree with Chisue about the AARP United Health Care Medicare Supplement. I researched the options, chose this policy, and have been happy with it for a long time. When I first got Medicare I signed up with the Blue Cross supplement, but soon realized I could get the same coverage for less money by switching to the AARP plan. I do, however, change my prescription drug plan every year or two to save money where I can.

I've been an AARP member for decades, and have never been asked for a donation. I like their publications (magazine and bulletin) and usually learn something useful from them.

Yes, thanks for the UPS tip, Maire! Most of my shipping is via eBay, but this is good to know.

Save    
maifleur03

I do hope those that are posting that they have AARP insurance are aware that they have insurance through United Health Care and not AARP. AARP just licenses their name to United Health Care and other than the name it has nothing to do with AARP.

AAA does the same for their various property insurance lines other than it will depend on what state you live in which one of a group of companies actually insure you.

1 Like Save    
Alisande

Yes, it's through United Health Care. However, I believe the AARP United Health Care policy is different in some way(s) from other UHC policies. I assume this because some physicians will accept only the AARP one, not the others.

Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

Another one here very happy with AARP/United Health Care. Yes, of course it's not connected or owned or operated by AARP, but even the receptionists at doctors' offices call it AARP.

1 Like Save    
woodrose

I'm also a member of AMAC, which has benefits comparable to AARP. I've been receiving mail from AARP since way before I was even old enough to join, and still am almost thirty years later.I've never joined and never will.

Sushipup, wikipedia.com is not a reliable source of information. AMAC does not want to raise the age to file for early benefits; they want to keep it at 62. They do want to raise the age to file for full retirement benefits to preserve Social Security for the future, and I see nothing wrong with that. This would be done on a gradual basis, not all at once. If anyone wants know the exact policies of AMAC they can go to amac.us.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"However, I believe the AARP United Health Care policy is different in some way(s) from other UHC policies. I assume this because some physicians will accept only the AARP one, not the others."

There are as more varieties of different health insurance plans from any given large insurer than colors of crayons in a big Crayola box.

I'm anything but knowledgeable about the various parts of Medicare and don't need to be because of having an employer related plant. But I was curious why my Medicare Advantage plan didn't reflect the medical school group we mostly use as an in-network "available provider". I called and asked, they said "call the medical group". I did and got an interesting and unexpected answer, something to the effect of "We accept Medicare so there's no need to negotiate fees or reimbursement rates with any insurance company. Our rate is the Medicare rate".

alisande, I suspect for a provider that accepts Medicare, the situation may be different that what you describe.

1 Like Save    
wantoretire_did

DH likes the Denny’s discount, I Enjoy the monthly magazine only. Am inundated with junk mail. I would drop it if he would.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides 7 Home Purchases Worth the Splurge
Make buyer's remorse over furniture, textiles and more a thing of the past with this wise purchasing advice
Full Story
Laundry Rooms The Cure for Houzz Envy: Laundry Room Touches Anyone Can Do
Make fluffing and folding more enjoyable by borrowing these ideas from beautifully designed laundry rooms
Full Story
Decorating Guides The Cure for Houzz Envy: Guest Room Touches Anyone Can Do
Make overnight guests feel comfy and cozy with small, inexpensive niceties
Full Story