Animating old photos

Elizabeth

https://www.myheritage.com/deep-nostalgia

This program uses AI to animate your old still photo. It is amazing and a bit eerie. I used a photo of my sister as a young girl and it turned the photo to color and she turned her head, blinked and smiled and flashed her dimples. I could hardly believe how real it looks!

SaveComment22Like4
Comments (22)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jrb451

That’s pretty cool and a little freaky.

Save     Thanked by Elizabeth
Ded tired

Saw this on Facebook. It’s astounding. ill have to give it a try.

Annie Deighnaugh

I tried it with my Mom...it made no natural expressions of her so it really wasn't what I'd hoped for. It may have to do with the pose in the photo I used. I did one with me and it was very strange to see. Harder for me to judge my natural expressions, but part of it definitely did not look like me.

Save    
Elizabeth

I noticed that a photo needs to be a closeup of the persons face with them smiling and showing their teeth. One of mine got a wonky eye during the process as it was a 3/4 shot of the face and one eye was only partially visible.

Save    
adellabedella_usa

I watched parts of a youtube video called "Daguerreotype Beauties From the 19th Century Brought to LIfe" yesterday. I fast forwarded through parts because I was only interested in the animation. They colorized and animated a few ladies who were not smiling and no teeth showing. They looked very graceful. I'm sure some photos provide better results than others.

Ninapearl

this is so cool!

joann_fl

I did my late husband and it was creepy, not like him at all.

Lars

Here's one I did of my face from a photo taken at a party in Vancouver, August 1981

My hair was dyed a darker color than natural. A hairdresser friend spiked my hair for me. I rarely show my teeth when I smile in photos, and this is the only one I could think of in which I did.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Elizabeth
adellabedella_usa

Lars you are nice looking.

Hope you aren't offended. That animated photo made me laugh because it does give off some vibes like what you see on the crime shows where you are seeing some happier times in the victim's life before the surprise killer makes his/her move. I think that may be because we're looking a more modern already colorized photo where we have an expectation.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by Elizabeth
schoolhouse_gwagain

Lars, how were you able to download your animated photo to your personal files? I made an animation and thought I cold do a "save as" to my picture files or at least somewhere on my computer, but I didn't see that option. It seemed like the animation had to stay on the web site.

Nice one of your photo by the way.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Elizabeth
Elizabeth

There is a download option ( not called save as )

Save    
schoolhouse_gwagain

I clicked on "download" but afterward was unable to find the photo anywhere in my files. I'll try again. Thanks.

ETA: Ok - found it. It just took awhile before it showed up in my documents. Thanks again.

caflowerluver

I was going to post a video of me at 1 year old but it won't work. How do you do it?

Lars

After I downloaded the video to my computer, I uploaded it to Youtube. You need a Youtube account for this, but that is free. You can post Youtube videos here by using the "Video" button right below the area where you are writing your post.

caflowerluver

Thanks Lars.

caflowerluver

Here is me at one year old. Kind of cool.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Elizabeth
Ded tired

Lars, you look like David Bromstad from My Lottery Dream House on HGTV in that video!

Lars

Ded Tired, I can kind of see that now but would not have thought of it.

I do not usually smile like that, and so that animation looks very unnatural to me. For one thing, my normal smile is much more symmetrical - in that photo, I was making a funny expression on purpose, for the photographer. He had been wanting to take my picture for some time during that party but could never catch me when my mouth was not open in animated conversation, and so he had to pull me aside to make me stop talking long enough for him to take this photo.

I see now that you can do this animation with a photo that does not show teeth, although the teeth do make it more dramatic.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Elizabeth
Embothrium

Really he is David Bromstad and he is using Lars as a pseudonym. That's why he was attracted to a site called Houzz.

Debby

I've seen a few people do this with family members they've lost. I cannot do that. Won't do it. And I hope my kids never do it with their brothers photo.

woodrose

Debby, I can understand how you feel. I would find that very sad myself, and wouldn't want to see it. I think caflowerluver's pic of herself as a child works great and is very cute. It's the ones of adults I find creepy, especially the ones who have passed on. I might consider doing that with a photo of an ancestor from long ago, just out of curiosity.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Elizabeth
joyfulguy

Does one who's reached second childhood ...

... need changing?

o j

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Projects What to Do With Old Family Photos
Find out how to research, share and preserve images that offer a connection to the past
Full Story
Organizing You Can Do It: 6 Steps to Organizing Your Loose Photos
Are your old pictures stuck in dusty boxes? Here’s how to get them in order — and ready to tell your family’s story
Full Story
How to Photograph Your House People and Pets Bring Interior Photos to Life
Even the best-designed room can look hollow when it's not occupied. Add people and animals to spark interest in your interior shots
Full Story