SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_237599703

New Construction - House Plans

K F
3 years ago

Hi all,
This is my first post on Houzz but I’ve spent some time reading through discussions and thoroughly appreciate and trust opinions on here.
My husband and I are building a new home. I’m attaching the house plans to have you critique.
I appreciate the layout with master on one side of house and kids bedrooms on opposite side. There will also be a bonus room/bathroom upstairs. The rest of the living is on one floor. We have a 4 month old baby and plan on having another child in the future. I wanted a basement but hubby vetoed that. So I compromised with a playroom area when our child is young. When she needs privacy when she’s older, her and her friends can hangout in the bonus room. I’m happy with the playroom; but with the added playroom, I lose the window above my sink. When weighing playroom vs window, I need the playroom more. But still slightly sad to be locked into the kitchen that way.
Before I ramble on too much... I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks in advance

Comments (39)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

How does the house respond to the site (views, circulation, roadways, sun path, vegetation, slope, neighboring properties, etc.)?

Did a builder design this floor plan?

• K F
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We’re on family land. We’ve got about 200 acres. My parents live beside us in the house we are currently in. We will be building our new house right beside. Our land isn’t fully developed yet; we’ve just begun clearing. My husband is actually a GC and has access to all of the heavy duty equipment, etc so we will pick away at the land over the next little bit. It’ll be a slow process with the price of building materials right now!

A custom designer drew up our plan for us. It’s still rough.

• Related Discussions

Advice on Master Bath Plan for New Construction Home?

Q

Comments (33)
    This is really hard. At least you have some choices. I personally do not mind NOT having a toilet room. (I have one now, but not in the last house). If you can fit one in, it may appeal to a few more people. ( When we sold, we had 3 people wanting our home and it had no toilet room). Our tub sat under two corner windows with a wonderful view. So if you would rather a big shower than a tub, make sure you get the shower you want. I like Mongot's 2nd option, but would leave out the linen cab next to it. Hang your towels and add a small bench there. Supposedly, the door on the toilet room should swing out, but the one on house that we own now does not. If you leave it closed all the time, it does not matter. If you like it open, it will block your window. Also I noticed that on some of your drawings, you have lost 6 inches of your 9 foot 6 inch length. That space would make your shower much larger. Of your drawings, option B appeals most to me. Option A closes up your space and C wastes too much space. If your shower can be enlarged to 42 in or 48 in by about 5 feet, that would be really nice. I added a couple of other ideas. I personally like two vanities better than one. The cost should be similar if the total size is the same. Option A1 cuts back on vanity size, but you get a linen and toilet room. A2 has 2 vanities. I still like stand alone vanities for the style. Option 3 gives you more vanity space on one wall, but I don't know if an angled door is the best option. I'd probably do drawers on the end of the long vanity by the window. More light.
    ...See More

Putting CR6's in LR6 housings? (Dimming Concerns)

Q

Comments (2)
    The cr6 fits in the same housing as the lr6. The cr6 is less efficient than the lr6 but has a greater dimming capability. The lr6 has greater light spillage since the recess is shallower. Hope that helps. I'll reply to your other question later
    ...See More

Beach house/vacation rental new construction kitchen plan

Q

Comments (16)
    They're bigger, but still not legible - at least the top one is illegible. Rotag - can you zoom your PDF to fit your monitor screen and then take a screen shot? Then, save the screenshot as a JPG file and post it here? Can you also post specific measurements rather than general? I.e., the width of each window/wall/door/doorway and the distances b/w each window/wall/door/doorway. You do say windows/doors can be moved - any/all of them? I can already tell that most likely your overhang is too shallow - you have plenty of space, so increase the island to 41.5" deep. I also think you need to move the DW & sink over to have more landing space to the right of the sink - you risk splashing water all over the floor as well as knocking things off the counter (like glass!) You could move the DW as far as you can to the left into the corner and then have a 27" cabinet turned 90 degrees on the other side (facing the seats) rather than deadening out the space. It could house seldom-used items or items for the living/dining area.
    ...See More

Does it matter who I order from?

Q

Comments (4)
    Most manufacturers have a "dealer locator" on their web site. This is usually monitored pretty closely by them and consists of their best dealers. I would start there and yes there are differences. I would talk to at least two, have them show you product, see how interested they are in your project and whether they ask the "right" questions. Another gauge would be how timely they are in getting your quote back. Don't necessarily go with the low bid. Go with the person that presents themselves' best, asks the right questions and gave you everything you requested on your quote. This is setting the groundwork for a good transaction.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

What I mean is which way is north? What will I see if I look out a north facing window? What will I see if I look out a east facing window? What will I see if I look out a south facing window? What will I see if I look out a west facing window? Where is the road located? Where will the driveway be? Is the property around the house flat? How far away is the nearest houses? Do you plan on having any outdoor living spaces?

Can you post a clearer image of the floor plan and all exterior elevations?

• PRO
    PPF.
    3 years ago

Lots and lots of things need work. Is this you and your designers best effort?

• chispa
    3 years ago

Usually we complain that plans have to many jigs and jogs (corners), but in this case you have none and desperately need to add some to give the house a better floor plan and flow. With 200 acres there are zero reasons to have an inside windowless kitchen.

I hope your husband isn't one of those GCs who thinks they are also an amazing designer and/or architect, when they actually have pretty bad design ideas ...

• cpartist
    3 years ago

The best houses are either H, I, L, T or U shaped.

The best houses have windows on at least 2 walls in all public rooms and all bedrooms.

The best houses are only 1-2 rooms deep (garages, covered porches, lanai's etc count as rooms)

The best houses do not put private rooms (bedrooms) right off of public rooms.

The best houses do not put utility rooms, closets, mechanical rooms, etc on outside corners.

The best houses do not have oversized roofs that will be a problem.

The best houses have light filled kitchens.

So based on what I've written, what do YOU think of the floor plan?

Are you sure your custom "designer" has design credentials and is not a glorified CAD operator?

• K F
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I completely agree with many of the thoughts posted. We’ve gone back to the drawing board a few times; this plan isn’t written in stone. The playroom space is what is causing me the most headache. I’m just not sure how to still have my playroom while still keeping a similar footprint. Although that seems to be what most are saying is the biggest problem. We didn’t want to get too much bigger - wanted to stay around that size. I wonder about putting the “playroom” on the side with the other bedrooms.

• K F
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think we will go back to the drawing board. I appreciate the input. Thank you.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

"We’ve gone back to the drawing board a few times; this plan isn’t written in stone"

Maybe try a drawing board if you have had to start over several times with this "Custom Designer"? Let me guess there are no elevation drawings done yet?

• K F
    Original Author
    3 years ago

There were elevation drawings done to a previous one without the playroom. He had just sent this one along to see what I thought. It was on our recommendation that the playroom go there as we didn’t want to change the footprint much. Which I’m sure he also cringed at. I’ve emailed him this morning and told him to hang tight while we think it through over the weekend. I don’t want to lose that kitchen window.

• shead
    3 years ago

With 200 acres, why do have to fit a “footprint”?

Also, why was your DH set against a basement? They are usually very cheap square footage. We LOVE our full basement!

• K F
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Fair questions. When I say we’ve got all that land - yes it’s there but some of it is still heavily forested. We’ve surveyed off about 5 acres for our lot. Just wanted to paint the quaint, country picture. And we’re trying to keep sq footage down. We plan on this being our forever home and he thinks when the kid(S) are gone, the basement will become wasted space. I guess he’s already thinking of brittle bones. Ha. Trust me - the basement was a big bone of contention for a while!

• shead
    3 years ago

The great thing about basements is that they tend to be climate controlled and depending on your frost line, are often not that much more. Our basement is not fully finished and has 2 garage bays. We have a pool table and ping pong table, a bathroom, DH’s office, and a small storm room (fully concrete).

Did I mention how much we love it? Lol.

I’d take a basement any day over a bonus room over the garage which can be pains to heat and cool :) I‘ve had both.

Just my two cents....

As for the house plan, I’d narrow and elongate so the kitchen has a window. I definitely wouldn’t put the playroom like it’s shown as it takes up too much valuable real estate for natural light.

• K F
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I even tried to use the pool table argument in a previous conversation! It was not for lack of trying haha. Your basement sounds like what I envisioned for ours.
    I certainly appreciate your opinion! Thank you. :)

• Emily L
    3 years ago

I don't think you should fight with your husband over the basement. And I don't think a simple rectangle is such a terrible shape if it's well designed and not too deep.

A couple things: with little kids, you will want a foyer, even if just a small one. That way, when you open your door to the fedex person you don't display your dirty dishes and mess. It's a calming entrance. People who don't have one struggle to find a way to retrofit one. https://laurelberninteriors.com/2018/09/08/no-foyer-entry-2/

With little kids, you will greatly appreciate a TV room with a door to be closed. I think your upstairs bonus room would be perfect for this. At the moment, your child is so young that you feel you need a downstairs place -- you really don't. A few toys kept in one of the bedrooms can be an adequate playroom for now. It only takes a child until about 18 months when he or she can navigate those steps safely if carpeted. At that point, you will be super happy to have that separation upstairs. It sounds like a long time for child #2 but you will barely notice. I would suggest using an easy-care surface upstairs that isn't carpet so the inevitable paint, yogurt, and potty accidents have a stress-free place to land.

It's hard for a stock plan to fit your needs, and I'm not saying these are perfect, but here are a couple that sort of straddle the all-on-one-floor-living with natural light and charm:

https://thebungalowcompany.com/house-plan/the-hemlock/

https://www.builderhouseplans.com/plan/1833-square-feet-3-bedroom-2-50-bathroom-2-garage-sp211711 (not the paint colors, haha)

https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/country-craftsman-house-plan-with-split-bedrooms-51817hz

https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/3-bedroom-house-plan-with-swing-porch-16887wg (for you the stairs to the basement would be to a bonus, perhaps over the garage)

Again, not saying stock plans are great, but maybe some food for re-thinking how to add light and keep your living on one floor.

• Felix Pradas-Bergnes
    3 years ago

K F, the current plan has a number of problems. I will post a revised plan for you later today with solutions. Standby.

• Marie J.
    3 years ago

I’d have a basement if only for tornado shelter.

• AnnKH
    3 years ago

What part of the country are you in?

I know you feel the playroom is really important, but please remember that your children will be well beyond the "play near Mommy" stage for many years in this house, and you need to plan for all stages (including children moved away), not just a next 3 or 4 years. Little kids can certainly play in a living room, but where will teenagers play Mario Kart? It's important for a family of 3 or 4 (or more) to have more than one gathering space.

Basements make outstanding kid space - an unfinished basement is great for kids to ride tricycles or play with balls on rainy/snowy days; my friends and I spent countless hours making hopscotch and other games on the concrete floor with masking tape, and building forts, playing ping pong, having sleepovers. Simple framing can add a TV room, music practice room, or home office (we eked out 3 of those in our small house last summer).

I think and architect (not a designer) might be able to help you build an efficient house that meets the needs of your family - now and in the future. Right now you are trying to tweak a plan that has significant problems; I don't think you would be happy in this house.

Good luck!

• 3onthetree
    3 years ago

From this plan I am picking up that you have a very tight and limited budget. Also that you have very specific desires, like the separate enclosed playroom, multiple large linens, large mech room, single-leaf doored garage storage, walk-in pantry, etc. That is all fine. But it seems that those might be focused on too much and the designer has just inserted a "kit of parts" to satisfy you.

What should happen is these specific desires should be incorporated into a well-flowing plan that is proportionate, functional, and efficient for your limited budget. I would suggest browsing the internet for plans that would work for your site. Not all are good and most will be over-the-top for your needs, but you can get a "feel" for how circulation and adjacencies work together. Things like transitioning from outside to in, placing the kitchen and pantry, ways of arranging those "backhouse" functions like laundry/mech/mud room/garage access to kitchen to be efficient.

The play "room," isn't there a stair going to a bonus above the garage? What is that room pegged for? I tend to like play "areas," where it is an extension of a space. It would have the versatility to combine with the main space when open, but also versatility to function for different uses as kids age when closed off.

The basement, I would ditto comments that if you are digging a deep frost footing, it doesn't take much more to dig a basement. They are a natural fit for rolling hills and walk-outs. Great for tornado shelter and indestructible for kids. Getting mechanicals off the main floor and capturing that SF.

Not every house has to be Houzz photogenic, millions build a simple shelter and live perfectly happy without caring what could have been done better. But posting here means you have an inkling something can be improved, so work towards that.

• K F
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi all,
    I am certainly appreciating reading through the comments. Appreciate the time everyone takes to look over the plan, and share their own thoughts. I lost the basement battle long ago, unfortunately. We are on the east coast of Canada.
    I may try one last ditch effort with the basement argument; otherwise, we’re working with the one level. The purpose of the bonus room is for family from away to stay when they may visit. (Which I know is another nod for a basement). When the kid(s) are older, we would use the playroom for another purpose.
    This is the plan we adapted from: https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/open-concept-3-bed-modern-farmhouse-plan-51186mm
    Clearly with a walkout basement; but ours has been reconsidered.
    While I understand we are certainly not up to par with many of the photos featured on Houzz, I came to seek the guidance of you all in helping me navigate this new territory. And I appreciate all helpful suggestions :)
    Speaking of - does anyone with children live without a basement? Would love to hear a success story, ha!

• K F
    Original Author
    3 years ago

(I also haven’t figured out how to specifically tag/respond to one user’s comments; so trying my best to answer all in my comments).

• PRO
    PPF.
    3 years ago

I also haven’t figured out how to specifically tag/respond to one user’s comments

Type an @ then the first few letters of a user name. Click on the one you want.

• K F
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@PPF the names aren’t coming up for me when I do that; this may or may not work. But thank you!

@shead many of those plans you shared were some of my favourites, actually. We went with the other one because it was my favourite exterior look. I enjoy the simplicity and symmetric look of it. But now looking again at the other ones, it may be time to go back.
    And no worries about being hard on me. I was prepared upon posting to not take anything personally. A small price to pay to hear other good & expert opinions.

• Felix Pradas
    3 years ago

Hi K F,

Please see the attached floor plan. The footprint is more complex than your posted plan but it meets all your needs. The kitchen has plenty of windows. The play room and the powder room are co-located (in case of overnight guests). The garage is connected to both the entryway, via a mudroom, and the kitchen, via a laundry/pantry room. There are proper transitions between the private and public spaces and no wasted hallway space. It is up to you to rotate the structure within the property to maximize the views and minimize climatization costs. I hope this helps. Cheers!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Consider contacting a local architect to design a home with you that meets your needs and fits your site.

I owned a house once that was built on a slab. The "basement" was a three car detached garage.

• booty bums
    3 years ago

We are on the east coast of Canada.

Is it common for houses to not have basements where you live?

I'd think basements would be a must-have in your area.

• K F
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Felix Pradas
    I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your problem solving skills and ideas with me. This is similar to another plan we had looked at; and does certainly suit our needs. Will be sharing this with my husband. Thanks again for your time and consideration.

• Emily L
    3 years ago

I have SIX kids ages 1-10 and we do not have a basement. We are in East Texas where basements are impossible due to living in the swamp/bayou. But we are from Michigan and grew up with basements, and all our family have basements. Their kids do not play there, and our kids did not play there when we lived there. Basements are colder and get less light, and they are far removed from the normal areas of the house. We built a playroom that was finished and carpeted, but they wouldn't go there. So all my family members use it for adult purposes, like home gym and home office space. My brother complained bitterly that during covid he felt his whole life was in the cave. However, it's a great place for older kids. However, my family and I still have young kids, and we don't do video games, so we don't need that. What we have (and what my brother is building in Michigan) is a closed off room. He calls his the art room. We call ours the tv room. French doors close it off, and it houses some toys, craft supplies easily accessible, the tv, sofa, and no carpet.

• Felix Pradas
    3 years ago

K F, let me know if there is anything you need clarified. This plan has a more complex footprint but the same square footage. I can make you a 3D model once you make your mind collectively.

Something else that helps contributors to this forum is an aerial shot of the lot. you can do an image capture from google maps satellite and mark where you want the house to go. Architecture is a 3D art form. The proper design considers all elements, views, wind, sun, roads, utilities, and local average structure style and proportions. Cheers!

• K F
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Emily L love hearing the no basement success story! Basements are definitely popular here - but it’s not the be all end all. While I wasn’t so confident with the plan we had; I am confident (after many friendly arguments with my husband haha) that we will enjoy our space without a basement. Thanks for sharing your story.

@Felix Pradas your kindness does not go unnoticed. I so appreciate your approach and will share a photo in the coming days.

Take care all! And thank you.

• Felix Pradas-Bergnes
    3 years ago

Hi K F, thanks for your kind words. Your writing reveals that you are a centered, loving and intelligent individual.

I hope you forgive me one last intrusion. I just get excited thinking of how lovely your home will be, specially given the location.

So, I am adding an additional revision of the plan showing that (1) you could take the pantry all the way to what would be the south wall, and (2) a possible treatment of the play room (the den). Imagine that the eastern wall features a large round window mounted on a thick stone wall and at night the LED projectors cast "magical" light effects on the woods nearby.

The room also features a wooden platform with drawers and two twin mattresses that will be used as sofas and nap beds and are on the ready for adult overnight visitors. The more storage you can built-in in this room the better to deal with the children's toys, books, etc.

Remember also that the plan can be flipped so you have the morning sun in the entry way and the evening sun in the living room, or as it shows now, where the morning light streams into the living and kitchen space and the sun sets the opposite way (of course!).

Cheers!

• cpartist
    3 years ago

In the above by Felix, the dining room has absolutely no windows and will be completely dark. It is a public room. Remember all public rooms and bedrooms should ideally have windows on 2 walls but at a minimum at least on 1 wall.

To get to the washer/dryer, you have to walk through your dining room. The laundry room is best closest to the bedrooms since that's where the majority of laundry is generated.

The bedrooms only have windows on 1 wall.

Now having said that, the overall start of Felix's plan is much better in terms of a central axis, although I would never want to enter a house and the first thing I see is the master bedroom and the second thing I see is a doorway to a playroom.

• lmckuin
    3 years ago

If you have five acres, I certainly wouldn’t squish the garage in so much to overlap with 1/2 of the side of the house. Blocks a lot of windows that way.

• barncatz
    3 years ago

The floorplan critique threads are so fascinating. I often do not understand all the points because I struggle to transform plans into 3D/"real life" but I love reading the comments.

Anyway, I just wanted to say my daughter never played in our basement, either. And it was a walkout.

(When PCs happened, she'd go down there with one of us to play "Oregon Trail" - remember that?)

• Felix Pradas
    3 years ago

@cpartist Good points.
    The way I am envisioning the central living space in this plan, the dining room would be flooded by light streaming through clerestory windows.
    In regards to the laundry, it is true that the bedroom produces a high volume of items, however, in my experience, since I'm the one sorting and folding the laundry, the kitchen aisle is my favorite place to fold clothes and the large tables cloths we use daily. This also allows me more time to talk with my wife as she preps dinner.
    I personally like having the master by the front door. As the adults in charge of the safety of our children, we rest more peacefully when we can keep effective control over the main entry and axis of the house.
    It all depends on the dinamics of your family unit.

• K F
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Felix, cpartist - I’m taking everything you guys are saying into consideration. Attempting to prioritize my needs and wants - and allowing natural light is definitely important to me and was part of the basis of this post in the first place. Thank you for sharing your expertise. This is not my forte, so I certainly appreciate hearing others opinions.

barncatz - you have me laughing out loud. I loved Oregon Trail. Thanks for the flashback. And for sharing another story in support of the no basement.

• K F
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I do look forward to sharing progress as we tackle this. There are many valuable opinions on here. I will post pictures when I have more to share.

• marilyncb
    3 years ago

You could consider something like this. Not saying this is a perfect plan, but it keeps your original vision intact and adds the playroom without blocking the kitchen window. It changes the footprint, but doesn't increase the overall size in terms of square footage. Green rectangles are closets and the orange lines are doorways (double doors to playroom). I haven't shown window placement, but all rooms could have windows on at least one wall.