SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nate_harris32

Stringer help! Birdsmouth connection badly damaged

Nate
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

So after months of thinking about how I was to restore the stair treads (which had 5 layers of varnish plus faux painted wood grain), I decided the best way was to take the treads off and finish them at the wood shop. This very well might not be the best way to have done this, but nevertheless its what I've done and theres no looking back!

Upon removing the top tread I uncovered that the middle and right stringer has a badly damaged birdsmouth joint that connects to the header. I figured as I removed the rest of the treads I'd asses the rest of the stringer, which turn out to be in good shape - its just those top connects. I am reallly trying to avoid replacing the entire stringer because the stringers continue under the landing which has a whole puzzle of finish carpentry that I would not like to try taking apart.

So what to do now? I am praying to the bracket gods that one exists for my particular situation.

Is it possible to scab on new lumber onto the existing stringers 1/4th of the way up or is that not doing anything?

Both joints pictured as well as the staircase

Hope this community can help, and thanks!

Comments (6)