SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Favorite dried/dehydrated foods

Lars
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I happened to mention to my sister in Texas that she should stock dried milk powder (I buy Nestlé Nido brand), since she said she was unable to buy milk last week and had run out. I do not drink milk, but I do think that the Nido dried milk tastes like fresh milk when reconstituted and nothing like what dried milk tasted like 40 years ago. Of course I only use it in cooking, but I've also used it when making ice cream with great results. Kevin uses it in his coffee and also likes it, although he was skeptical at first.

Anyway, I do stock quite a few dried food products, partly because they are easy to store, but then also because a lot of them are quite good and I prefer them to canned versions (but not to frozen). Since they are easy to store, I think they are good to have on hand for when there are shortages or natural disasters that disrupt supply chains.

I remember than Grainlady used to talk about dehydrating food and that it was one of her favorite ways to preserve food, and this is the one thing I liked about her advice that I am still using. I do have a dehydrator now, but I do not grow all that much food that I need to preserve - mostly chilies and fruits, such as apples and bananas.

What I am most interested in is vegetables. Here is what I currently have on hand:

• Chilies (I count them as vegetables instead of fruit)
  • Bell peppers (red and green)
  • Broccoli (okay, but not one of my favorites)
  • Mushrooms (several varieties, porcini and morel are favorites)
  • Spinach (rather disappointing)
  • Cabbage (definitely one of my favorites, as it keeps its texture)
  • Tomato - I use tomato powder instead of tomato paste, thanks to Grainlady
  • Onion flakes
  • Garlic flakes

I realize that there are countless fruits that are good when dehydrated, and so I won't go into all of those at this time. I used to grow figs but I never dehydrated them, since I preferred to make them into preserves. In addition to apples and bananas, I also like dried mangoes and jackfruit. In fact, I prefer dried jackfruit to canned jackfruit.

What do you recommend to have dehydrated/dried for emergency use? Better if it will keep for at least a year.

What do you use on a regular basis that is dried/dehydrated?

I've decided that I really like Knorr chicken bouillon, including the tomato version. I have bought vegetable bouillon cubes but not recently. I would buy mushroom cubes if I found them.

Do you dehydrate meat or buy it dehydrated? I'm not familiar with this at all, other than jerky.

Comments (32)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES