SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
king_carp

Need Window Replacement Recos - Wallside vs Berkshire Elite vs Sunrise

king_carp
3 years ago

We're looking to replace all of our 1977 metal windows with vinyl and we've got a few quotes I'm hoping for help evaluating. We'll be doing 8 sliders (some 35" wide, some 60" wide), 1 garden window in the kitchen, and 1 door wall. We live in southern Michigan, so we've got significant temperature swings and more months running the furnace than the air conditioner. I'm definitely interested in triple pane windows for their strong U-factor and I think they'll sound like a nice perk when we (likely) sell and move in 5-8 years. That time frame of course is also a strong consideration.

My current quotes are:

-Wallside Windows (local manufacturer & installer with a solid reputation): $9,000, double pane

-Berkshire Elite from Window Universe (yes, The Window Dog folks): $10,000, *triple pane*, steel reinforced sashes (which I feel is probably necessary given what I've seen on here about Berkshire Elites).

-Sunrise "Premium Vinyl" (local, highly rated contractor): $14,000, double pane

-Sunrise "Premium Vinyl" (same local contractor): $17,000, *triple pane*, FiberCore reinforced

And I've got another dealer coming out next week who sells a proprietary version of Sunrise windows. I'm also checking with Wallside on triple panes and reinforced sashes. I'll post those quotes when they come in.

From what I've seen on here, Sunrise has a great reputation and the important thing is to make sure I'm working with a reputable installer. But the upgrade to Sunrise (at least with this initial contractor) is STEEP, especially for the triple panes.

Would love to see some thoughts/recommendations from the pros out there. Thanks!

Comments (15)