SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevin_maahs0

Cost-benefit of windows

Kevin
3 years ago

We are in the process of quoting out replacement windows and are running into a wide range of pricing for 18 windows and a patio slider door. What I've got so far is (installed):

Pella 250: ~21k (on sale)

Pella 350:~25k (on sale)

Impervia: ~29k (on sale)

Marvin Essential: (awaiting quote)

Marvin Infinity: ~42k (supposedly discounted from 77k.....)

My question is mostly on the cost to benefit of windows. I'm in my early 30's and we plan to stay in this home long term (but who knows, life can change fast so keeping an open mind). The home is worth ~400k and in a nice neighborhood, but there aren't million dollar homes here (Michigan). As you can see, the top quote ends up being ~10% of the value of the house which feels really high for windows, but I admittedly don't really have a base for comparison.

I presume fibergalss are generally going to stand the test of time better than vinyl, and presumably the "better" lines within a type will usually outperform the lower ones, but I'm having a hard time converting that hypothetical "performance" into what dollar amount it's worth. And in more direct terms, adding 40k windows wont increase the home value by 40k so also thinking in real terms should be end up moving, despite our plan not to.

Sorry as i read this the question is pretty vague, but curious if anyone has any thoughts on when it's worth splurging and when it's better to go more budget.

Thanks!

Comments (15)