SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debra_harkness

Help me w exterior overhaul! Stucco, stone, landscaping, front porch.

Debra
3 years ago

We are planning a total overhaul for our exterior (which is desperately needed, as you’ll see). I especially want advice on what to do with our stone wall and chimney. I want to move away from the brown/beige/earth tone look, and more toward a modern vibe that still fits with the style of the house and the wooded setting.

Current plan:
—Stucco repainted to a similar natural color, but a bit brighter/lighter than this.
—All trim, gutters etc painted a dark charcoal color (roof is staying).
—Windows will be black
—Garage door dark charcoal (painted, no budget to replace)

QUESTIONS:

—FRONT PORCH: What color to paint it? Would charcoal to match the trim be weird? It was perviously painted brown so I can’t stain it. It’s in good shape. Also considering replacing the railing with straight black metal balusters and wood handrail to match the porch.

—STONE WALL & CHIMNEY: Help!! I think we have to do something besides just leave it, because the chimney has black water stains that may not be removable. (Issues have been repaired.) I’m thinking of going dark. I want to retain the stone texture for sure, and wondered if I could make it look more like slate with some kind of dark stain or mineral paint. Any ideas? Or, should I try to limewash it lighter to coordinate more with the natural stucco color? Maybe a light gray color? Romabio only has light colors and I’ve struggled to find other options that will preserve the stone texture.

FENCE/SHED: What colors to paint them? To the left of the house we have a fence connecting the main house to our shed, which has wood paneled siding. I’m thinking of painting the shed to match the house - the same natural white color as the stucco, charcoal trim, charcoal garage door. Ultimately I’d like to replace the fence but for now, thinking about a dark charcoal wood stain. It’s already been stained that gray color so there’s no option besides paint or a darker color.

I would love any and all ideas you have! Landscaping is obviously a whole other huge project, but we are starting with the house itself and will do landscaping after. Budget is tight so mostly it will be DIY but we’re very experienced.

Give me all your advice, especially on the atone! Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)