SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessbgauvin

I think I know where I messed up. Am I right?

Jessica
3 years ago

Hello and thanks in advance. I like to display my travel photography. These are canvass prints I made from
A trip to Greece. Am I correct... my mistakes...

1. 3 not 4
  2. Larger
  3. Lower (I’m tall so I tend to hang high)

Right or wrong? Efcharisto. (Greek for thank you!)

Comments (72)

• shirlpp
    3 years ago

Before enlarging them, I'd try them over the fireplace.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Adding a bit of color to the sofa would break up all the gray. Pick a color from the art over the fireplace.

• Related Discussions

I messed up and think I'm too tired to fix it

Q

Comments (10)
    For the kitchen, only you can know how much that might bug you. Personally I think of after meal cleanup-the dishwasher is usually open and we are putting things back in the fridge. The rest of the time it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal to me. As for the niche...that would bother me every time I walked down the hall. Can the niche be made a little narrower so that it would be 'centered'? Even if you just use trim to do it it should be an easy fix unless it is off by alot. Hope you are feeling stronger today and ready to tackle these challenges, Let us know what you do!
    ...See More

i think i really messed up

Q

Comments (3)
    did not find a "Kaspersky Anti-virus 6.0(under remove) You might want to use windows search, advanced and search kaspersky If you find its folder look in it for an uninstaller. 2.How do i close Regestry Cleaner? You might use Ctrl+Alt+Del then look under the Processes tab. If you can find it there you can highlite it and right click to select End Process. See the link below to see how to uninstall Shield Delux when you see that error message. Here is a link that might be useful: Error 1921. The Shield Deluxe (AVP)
    ...See More

I think I messed up

Q

Comments (4)
    W8 is very, very diff from XP, and yes you can screw it up if you don't know what you are doing. are you talking about IE browser on one of the tiles on boot up? or are you going to desktop mode? what is it you are trying to do exactly?
    ...See More

Help, I think I really messed up !!! kitchen sink

Q

Comments (13)
    You have not mentioned whether you have chosen a faucet. I think your faucet choice is key if you are concerned the sink's 18" width is too much. I don't think your sink width of 18" is too far if you get a pull-out faucet. I would advise against a pull-down faucet, where the faucet is closer to the back of the sink, which could be a problem (JMHO). If you think about how you use a kitchen sink, you only reach for the faucet handle for a second or two, but you will hold things under the faucet itself while rinsing/washing for minutes at a time. That's why I think the faucet reach is important for you to consider with your sink's 18" width. My sink is 17" front-to-back, there is about 5" of granite countertop in front of my sink, I am 5'3-1/2" tall, and I have no problem. My faucet is the Grohe Ladylux Plus, a pull-out style which has a 10-3/8" reach toward the center of the sink. Make sure to check the reach specifications of whatever faucet you are considering.
    ...See More
  • ratherbesewing
    3 years ago

I prefer a rectangular shape over square (no reason, just do). For this look, I would choose an IKEA frame and then enlarge your photos to suit.

• Jessica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

All - thank you so much for the input!

Lyanartist - The mock ups are so helpful. What do you use for that? Photoshop? Thanks for affirming my believe that I need to break up the Gray. I am going to play around with pillows or a rug. Sometimes “editing” can go to far. I am finding it hard to strike a balance.

Everdebz- I hadn’t considered doing prints instead of canvass because the fireplace picture is a canvass but based on your input and ratherbesewing’s inspiration pic - I may give that a try! I like the idea of painting my own frames.

Ratherbesewing- thank you!

Paul And Shirlpp - thank you for the FP recommendation! I guess I have some “playing” to do!

• shirlpp
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You don't have to put a bunch of holes in the wall over the fireplace - use command strips. Then if you like them there, you might want to use regular picture hanging hardware.

• User
    3 years ago

^^this^^. the canvases are really light. command hooks will be a good way to try out different configurations.

but if you wind up framing them, command strips are too heavy. for this, I use small nails angled upwards, then replace them with strong hooks when I find the right spot. small nail holes are super easy to patch. for really heavy art, I cut a piece of paper to size and tape it up to get an idea of placement.

• shirlpp
    3 years ago

ILoveMod - the command strips are just to give her an idea before she drills holes into the wall. She would then remove the command strips if she needs to do so.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

Along with Command strips, this tip I found online has helped me with hanging some art, especially groupings/galleries. Just scroll down until you see her holding the wood stick with the screw in it. My apologies since it's not exactly high tech but does work.

https://www.evolutionofstyleblog.com/moody-blue-powder-room-revea/

• User
    3 years ago

shirlpp, agreed. but I was adding a clarifier: I would only recommend it with lightweight art that could survive a fall, in case there's an accident with the command strip.

• Amy Lynn
    3 years ago

Just wanted to add, regarding having canvas prints because you already have a canvas print. It's much more interesting to mix framed prints and canvases, as well as other types of art in your house!

• User
    3 years ago

Amy Lynn true! in that case, I think it might look good to frame just the tree painting and leave the photos as-is.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

I meant use what you have [3 of them?] and find frames that work - I think I've read about floating for canvas. But a regular thick enough frame should do it...

• Rs S
    3 years ago

I just wanted to say, I am swooning over your coffee table! I love it! So beautiful and unique.

Jessica thanked Rs S
  • acm
    3 years ago

replace the two white chairs with a single arm chair, small side table, and floor or table lamp. move it out of the corner far enough that it has room to breathe, or so that somebody sitting there could have a conversation with somebody on the couch.

I love your photos a lot! I think that the current four, a bit lower, would be great, but if you make them larger, then three. how to choose! :)

also, please center the trees over the fireplace. I'm losing sleep over it! :)

Jessica thanked acm
  • Jessica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for all of the feedback!

Homeowner - funny story about that table. My husband and I have always lived separately due to work. I am in CT and he is on the North Shore of Mass. I found the table in a store called Urban Elements in Newburyport Mass. https://www.urbanelementshome.com/ The table was not inexpensive but the cost to ship it to my house to CT was outrageous (and it was too big to fit in our cars) So, I would go "visit" the table every time we were in Newburyport (about twice a month) I got to know the owner of the store and she would always comment about my love of the table. Finally after TWO YEARS she told me that if I bought the table, she would pay the shipping! Done and done!

Shirlpp, Chloebud & IloveMod - thank you very much for your creative suggestions about temporary placements. That stick with the screw is priceless!

Amylynn & Everdebz - I like the idea of frames! I am going to run a print and play with the size. The idea of "mixing" the canvass with frames.

Acm - I was horrified when I saw the trees in the photo! I did not realize it was off kilter! Its fixed. Sleep well. :--) I am now going to start shopping for arm chairs. Any thoughts as to color?

All - lynartist rightfully recommended some color. Even before the recommendation I had ordered a new rug and it came today. What do you think? (Doggo says hello)

• everdebz
    3 years ago

The initial photos showed the view looking straight to fireplace, and the rug a few feet to the right. Might be more visually 'right' if the rug came to the firebox/ art at its left edge... or the middle...

Also the table and sofa is large, so imo a larger rug would look better.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Very pretty rug; does it come in a larger size?

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    3 years ago

you don’t have a floor plan or room dimensions drawn out do you? Do you use either of the doors flanking the fireplace? I think we need to creep some or all of the furniture away from the walls , but it would be helpful to have a plan drawn. 🙂

• Jessica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Everdebz and Lynartist - it does come in a larger size - I’ll check and get back.

Adalisa - I use the door to the right of the FP- leads to the deck and the backyard. I’ll work on the drawing with the room dimensions . Thanks!

• Jessica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The rug also comes in 8x10 and 9x12. What is there is the 6x9

• Amy Lynn
    3 years ago

I think the 6 x 9 is definitely too small. Looks like you can do the 9 x 12 for sure, but I can't really see the whole room so I don't know where that brings the rug out to. If possible, can you take some painters or masking tape and tape out the edges of where 9 x 12 rug would be if you switched this out?

• Jessica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Amy Lynn I can absolutely do that - here are a few pics to get an idea of the space. I am installing the HW floors through dining area and kitchen in 2 weeks. I’ll mark off the area with tape tonight .

• Amy Lynn
    3 years ago

What a nice place you have! I love your granite and back splash combo. I think you would be so happy with the larger rug. It suits the size of the furniture and the room better. Plus, more pattern and color to work with!

• Jessica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Amy Lynn - thank you! It’s so tough to balance “too much” with “just right” Editing is certainly an art!

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Such a lovely home!

• Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

Nice space. Your dog obviously loves it! Do you need the 2 poufy things? It looks a little cluttered....

• Jessica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Amy Lynn - I taped off where a 12x9 rug would end. The angle of the photo is odd but gives you an idea.

Amanda - oh, you mean the prince lol . We use the poofs as footstools and seats for game nights etc. I could store them and pull them
    Out as needed. Thank you for your feedback!!!

• Amy Lynn
    3 years ago

Hmmm, that does seem to come too close to the hearth. I can't tell from that picture how far it comes out into the room from the other direction. The 6 x 9 really seems too narrow more in the 6 ft direction more than the 9 ft direction.You could try taping out the 8 x 10, maybe that's the compromise.

Jessica thanked Amy Lynn
  • lynartist
    3 years ago

Too big. Try 8x10!

• Amy Lynn
    3 years ago

Maybe it's just the angle of the picture, but the tape line running along the bottom of this picture seems farther away than 3 ft from the edge of the smaller rug. A 12 x 9 rug should be just 3 ft more in both directions from your existing rug.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I think they will work if you just lower them. Lower the one over the fire place.

Love the new rug, but pull the rug out or angle it.

• Jessica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all.

Yes, I measured 3 feet out each direction. I admit that the angle makes it look off - far lager than 3 feet! I will play around with it. I ordered it from Wayfair and it came so fast that I can order the larger one and still have time to return the smaller one if necessary,

I also ordered a print to frame and see if I like that better than the canvass. If I do, I will get them all done.

I always envy homeowners and designers who can mix color, texture and pattern and it all just looks cohesive. I guess that is why they are pros and get the "big bucks." What you see, though, is a major improvement. This was a "classic" 90s tri level townhouse condo with wood everywhere. Painting the cabs, trim and doors white was the best thing I did. (Well, paid someone to do) Now, once I carry the hardwoods through the Dining and kitchen (n 2 weeks) and add my funky tile to the half bath on this floor, I will be done. For now. LOL.

Question for all - how much of the ability to design is natural talent versus learned choices?

• chloebud
    3 years ago

"I always envy homeowners and designers who can mix color, texture and pattern and it all just looks cohesive."

Same with me, Jessica! I'd also like to know why it's so much easier to give advice when it's not your own house.

• tangerinedoor
    3 years ago

The photos need to be closer together as well as lower.

IMO if you do only 3 photos, it will be too matchy matchy with the three cushions on the sofa. 4 photos is more interesting. But.....closer together.

• Amy Lynn
    3 years ago

Jessica, I'd tape out the 8 x 10 just to check it out. If you do end up ordering a rug that is a bit large, you can always go under the sectional more to take up the extra width or length.

I think you'll like a nice frame and mat around your print so much. It really will make a nice piece of art.

I had to laugh when you said this was a classic 90's home, ours was built in 1989 and had the very same wood railing that looks more like it belongs on an outdoor deck! I had never seen it before I bought my house. Now, I occasionally see it in pictures posted on here and the posters always say the house was built around that time. It's a true timestamp.

• Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

That railing can be painted white or black for an update.

• User
    3 years ago

ha, I like that style of railing-- the 80/90s are coming back, particularly with Gen Z (it's "retro" to them). but it doesn't look like it jives with the OPs taste, and I don't love that high contrast wood grain. I agree that for this particular space, it would look better painted. I vote black.

• moosemac
    3 years ago

Jessica,

I love your coffee table. Where did you find it? I'd love one. Thanks.

• Amy Lynn
    3 years ago

I completely agree that painting the railing black would suit this home well. We lived with ours for 10 years before we finally had a black metal railing made to replace it when we finally redid our entry way.

• Jessica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Moosemac - I stalked that table for years! https://www.urbanelementshome.com

Ugh the damn railing!!!! I have struggled with that thing. Take it out? Keep it in? Paint it? Add wrought iron? Thanks for
    The votes for paint!!! I can totally DIY that.

Re: painting it black - there is a similar section visible in the area on the stairs going up to the third level. Sorry I am
    Away for the weekend and can’t post a pic. But wondering if it would look odd if I do just the one in the LR black? I can post a pic Sunday.

Also - is there a “soft” black? (Haha is that what charcoal Gray is?) and I’m
    Thinking a non-gloss finish?

Thank you all for taking the time to post!

• Jessica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And PS re: railing - I have scheduled Install of hardwood through the DR and kitchen (same as LR) does that impact the color choice for the railing?

• everdebz
    3 years ago

But not too busy? with cools and warms.

Metropolitan Iola Rug, Multi, 8'x11' · More Info

Digitized lines cast in a multi-pigmented palette- vibrant shades / including heavier hues of gunmetal grey, onyx black, deep admiral blue, golden mustard, celery green, aqua lagoon and ginger spice, balanced with neutral oyster, oat and dark linen. Mohawk's exclusive Everstrand recycled polyester yarn.

• Jessica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everdebz!!! I am now obsessed with that Iola rug!!! (Second rug posted)

I think my fear was that the FP art is so bold I did not want the rug to compete. But boy do I love that rug!

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Questions - idk if this has been covered - is that a tv across from sofa?

any chance you'd like sofa closer, a rug moved over too. Console table I suppose behind sofa with lamp [s]?

Something goofy - would seem ideal if rug were basically centered in the room.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Seems more style of tables... possibly transitional enough for sofa area.

Liora Manne Marina Kashan 8'10" x 11'9" Amber Rectangle Area Rugs MNA91804409 · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Bashian Woodbridge Area Rug, Aqua, 8.6'x11.6' · More Info

Safavieh Evoke Collection EVK230 Rug, Gray/Ivory, 9'x12' · More Info

• Jessica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Everdebz - Yes, TV on stand. To the left is the stairs to the first level. Sorry I did not post a full picture of the room or floor plan. My original query involved the photos but I LOVE how you all have taken it and "run" with it. That is what I love about this group. I am away for the weekend but I can get some better pics tomorrow.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Safavieh Nantucket Nan316 Area Rug, Green, 10'x14' · More Info

Safavieh Nantucket NAN607A 10'x14' Blue Rug · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

I had to look back as to why I thought about rugs - you had said, "what do you think?" - and so that's all it takes for me to browse and shop. ;))

• Jessica
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Everdebz- I appreciate your time (and your choices!)