I'm puzzled.........

Annie Deighnaugh

Clue in the NYT mini puzzle was 5 letters: Member of a costume wearing sub-culture.

The answer?

FURRY

What on earth is that???

SaveComment24Like
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eld6161

These are people who dress up in animal costumes as a way of expressing themselves. I think they call themselves Furries.

Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
Annie Deighnaugh

Thanks eld! I never heard of them.

It strikes me as both crazy and a lot of fun.

1 Like Save    
Mystical Manns

Waaaay back in the day, the show CSI (I think this is the right one) had an episode featuring them.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
Annegriet

I thought they were FURBIES. Strange to me but, hey, they're living their own America!

Save    
Uptown Gal

Wow, I learn something every day. :) I never heard of them either..kind of

creepy (no offense to anyone, please), just kind of strange to me.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
Annie Deighnaugh

FTA:

• Don’t touch the costumes or pull their tails.

Love it!

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg

I knew that! My DD is into "cosplay", short for 'costume play', conventions, where people dress up like anime or manga characters (Japanese animation and comic books, basically. Although one year a dead ringer for Captain Jack Sparrow walked through). My daughter makes her own costumes, very elaborate, much attention to detail. At the convention, she meets people who've dressed as other characters from that series, and they take group pictures. What does that have to do with "furries" -- Cosplayers look down on Furrys (too simple, and no 'story' behind their costumes). I don't know if Furrys look down on Cosplayers.

What kids these days do for fun, huh? (good-natured LOL!)

2 Likes Save    
functionthenlook

It's fun to see them in Pittsburgh during the convention. Kids get a kick out of them. They are normal tourists but only in partial or full animal costume. I don't understand the attraction behind it, but maybe it's like when you go to a adult Halloween costume party. For those few hours your not Mary or Joe, but a Princess or a pirate.

1 Like Save    
blfenton

I haven't done the puzzle yet so thanks for one of the answers. :)

I only know about them because of the same CSI show mentioned above.

1 Like Save    
salonva

Actually this triggers a memory back to our prior town. I think they had a mini convention and rented out a town facility. No one knew what they were, but after the fact, there was a fair amount of discussion about them and it was a modified scandal. Nothing really crazy happened, but if I can recall, people were not too comfortable with them. No judgement here, but I remember it was something strange.

1 Like Save    
salonva

I think this hits a pay wall but just to confirm that I am not totally delusional......from 2012

https://www.nj.com/mercer/2012/07/animal-themed_party_at_west_wi.html

Save    
fran1523

I was going to say QAnon

Save    
breenthumb

The things we learn at the Kitchen Table! Love it.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
eld6161

For sure. Anything and everything ;)

Save     Thanked by Annie Deighnaugh
Annie Deighnaugh

A FurBQ!! Love it!

2 Likes Save    
salonva

What really gets me is that I retained this meaningless trivia.

2 Likes Save    
Embothrium

Millions of Americans are making it clear by what they say and do that they yearn to live fantasy lives.

2 Likes Save    
marilyn_c

There are also groups of adult males who love My Little Pony, and call themselves "Bronies".

3 Likes Save    
nicole___

Never hear of Bronies...or Furries. We have knights that do battle in the parks. I worked with a guy that made his own sword and chainmail. He'd ask me trivia questions like......"Do you know why they call it chainmail?" ☺

1 Like Save    
sjerin

Haha, my sister-i-l sent me the same question this morning! I've never heard of them either.

1 Like Save    
adellabedella_usa

I don't know all of the ins and outs of it, but I believe the furries also have a sexual meet-up aspect to it at least for some of them. They aren't just people in costume.

The cosplays are more of a just for fun thing where people dress up like favorite characters. They appear to be much more innocent although there are extremists in that too. Some of the Manga stuff appears to be innocent, but some is also sexual.

Save    
functionthenlook

Sexual hookups happen anywhere and you don't have to be part of a organization . People looking for a hookup go to places where a hookup is more likely to happen. Bars, clubs, conventions, parties, single groups, dating sites, even church groups. Intense eye contact, holding hands, arm and arm, sitting close together, short kisses are socially acceptable in public and are part of a sexual hookup. The other part should be completely in private, but sometimes aren't and people do get caught.

Save    
Embothrium

Sexual hookups happen anywhere and you don't have to be part of a organization

Yep. All the more so if a body is a sex addict or otherwise has a history of very frequent couplings with what becomes over time a quite large number of people (if there actually are any people that do this that aren't in reality sex addicts). Because for sex addicts sexual encounters serve the same purpose as substance based addictive behaviors like chain smoking and maintenance drinking.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life You Said It: ‘Just Because I’m Tiny Doesn’t Mean I Don’t Go Big’
Changing things up with space, color and paint dominated the design conversations this week
Full Story
Winter Gardening 6 Reasons I’m Not Looking Forward to Spring
Not kicking up your heels anticipating rushes of spring color and garden catalogs? You’re not alone
Full Story
Old-style customer service is our top priority. We’ve been in business since 1994 – over 2 decades serving... Read More