Solutions to little annoyances

Lindsey_CA

In response to something that was posted in sal 60 Hanzlik's post "Little things that irritate that probably should not" ---

"Or initially starting to put a fitted bedsheet on the wrong way, because it's elasticized all the way around, so I couldn't tell length from width."

The next time you put the sheets on, take note of where the tag is. (All fitted sheets seem to have a tag with the brand name sewn into the seam of one corner.) If that tag is, for example, at the bottom right-hand corner, then the next time you make the bed with those sheets, just find that tag first. Then, you'll know that you can put the sheets on with the tag at the bottom right-hand corner or the upper left-hand corner and they'll be correct every time. And if for some reason your sheets don't have a tag, then put a small brass safety pin there, or mark it in some way so that you will easily recognize it.

SaveComment24Like3
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yeonassky

^^^ I concur. Further to that I sewed a ribbon where the tag was. Now that I have king size bed it doesn't matter as the sheet can go on any old way and works. It saved me a lot of grief with my queen and double beds because I could see the ribbon immediately.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I think most people have multiple beds and multiple sheets sets from different sources such that memorizing or noting where tags are would not be a useful approach. Marking a corner either with a permanent marker or a sewn-on piece of fabric should work.

We change the sheets as a joint project, I don't want to consult with a piece of note paper or rummage around looking for a marking to figure it out. The alternative we use that works for us is that if the bottom sheet seems to be in the wrong orientation, we rotate it 90 degrees and try again. That always works!

Save    
ci_lantro

Kohl's Big One sheets already have the tags (Top/ Bottom) sewn in.

Another solution is to buy striped sheets.

5 Likes Save    
ci_lantro

If you have a door that won't stay put--either it swings closed or swings open all on its own, a quick fix is to remove one or two hinge pins. Place the pin on a hard surface, like concrete or the anvil portion of a bench vise and give then a hard whack with a heavy hammer, like a machine hammer. You want to put a slight bend in the hinge pin. Reinstall & your door should stay in the position you want it to.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Are Kohl's sheets 100% cotton? That's a requirement for us and a show stopper if not that we often run into with department store bedding.

Save    
blfenton

The sheets for the master bed all have tone on tone stripes - the stripes run head to toe. It's how I solved the problem.

1 Like Save    
bpath

Stripes are a good solution.

We have four sizes of bedlinens in our house, and a couple of sets of XLong Twin from camp/college. So many of them don’t have a tag identifying the size! They might have a tag, but the size isn’t marked. I take a sharpie to them. Mostly it‘s not a problem because we usually wash and put the sheets back on, but there are some seasonal sheets and blankets that get mixed up over time. Sharpie on the tag, or on an edge at the foot.

1 Like Save    
ci_lantro

Are Kohl's sheets 100% cotton?

Internet search is your friend.

3 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Kohls isn't a store I expect to find consistently better quality products at so that's why I asked. I wondered if your suggestion was useful but if you don't know or care what the quality is of what you recommended, that's fine. I'll assume it's on a par with much of the other stuff Kohls sells and move on.

Save    
olychick

The sheets I use most often are Company Store Velvet Flannel. The king size fitted sheets do not fit either direction, but I read here many years ago that the tag goes in the upper right corner (or lower left corner). Since I have several sets, it's always easy for me to get them on correctly. A minor annoyance was unfolding it and picking a corner looking for the tag and having to rotate through 3 more corners before I find the tag. I never seem to pick the tag corner first!

I recently switched to a split king adjustable bed, so now have extra long twin fitted sheets. It's such a pleasure to tell at a glance which way they go.

Save    
chloebud

"The next time you put the sheets on, take note of where the tag is."

Something I've done for a long time. Works great. :-)

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg

Sharpie: write "Bottom" in nice big letters, but where it will be hidden when the bed is made. For blankets that are troublesome, I weave a colorful thread in the bottom middle.

3 Likes Save    
yeonassky

My trick for hinges is to take a hinge pin off and wrap a bit of twist tie wire around it. Then put the hinge pin back in and it should be ready to go. It will eventually wear out but that's if you don't have a hammer to whack it with which works as well.

2 Likes Save    
Ded tired

I put a small dot with a Sharpie marker at the bottom of the sheet.

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

Yeah, but how do you get the cat out from under the contour sheet? 😄

8 Likes Save    
amicus

Lindsey, your thread refers to my comment in the 'things that shouldn't irritate us' thread. I wrote about
"...initially starting to put a fitted bedsheet on the wrong way, because it's elasticized all the way around, so I couldn't tell length from width."

My sheets are either solid or patterned, but none are striped. However I never removed the tag, which is currently at the foot of the bed, in the left hand corner, when one is lying on the bed. Ok, so I just have to remember to throw it on like that, or with the tag at the head of the bed, but in the right hand corner, if lying on the bed. In either of those positions, I'll be putting it on correctly the first time, lol. Thanks for the tip!

2 Likes Save    
maire_cate

I learned the trick about locating the tag years ago - here on Gardenweb. But to save time I do what a few others have already mentioned and use a Sharpie to mark the bottom and top.

I have a set of Brooklinen sheets and the inside of the elastic is marked Long Side or Short Side.

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

duct tape

3 Likes Save    
graywings123

From my experience, manufacturers consistently place the tag in the same location on fitted sheets. The exception is the practice of sewing in tags that specifically say top/bottom/side. There is no need for an excel spreadsheet of sheet tag placement.

Here is my annoyance solution offering: I have a heavy white mat to step on out of the shower. I like to hang it on a hook when not in use, but it kept falling off. I sewed on a cloth hanger. Problem solved.

2 Likes Save    
pudgeder

My trick for the hinge pin is to just raise it up a bit.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I'm not sure what the concern is for hinge pins. In the rare instances I needed to do something, as when hinges sometimes start to creak, they're easy enough to remove by putting a screwdriver at the bottom and hitting it with upward blows from a hammer. Lubricate the pin with a good oil, replace, and the next time it should come out very easily.

Save    
fran1523

I have 100% coton sheets from Target that have the bottom and side marked with a tag. Works for me and they are really nice sheets. Also very deep so they tuck really well.

Save    
kathyg_in_mi

I'm a Sharpie gal!

1 Like Save    
yeonassky

In this case for me anyway the door does not stay in a position it swings shut every time. The hinge pins being altered or as said above moved in some way creates enough friction so the door stays open.

My son and nephew want to leave the creak on one of our doors LOL. They say that way they know if someone is going in and out. I don't have to listen to it all the time so I just accept the situation.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Housekeeping 12 Cleaning Projects That Go a Little Deeper — Naturally
Eucalyptus oil for germy door handles. Baking soda for oven grime. Here are nontoxic solutions for often-overlooked cleaning jobs
Full Story
Remodeling Guides Top 10 Solutions for Architectural Peeves
Cavelike hallways, immovable shutters, poorly proportioned doors ... avoid these and other common gaffes with these renovation solutions
Full Story
Bathroom Design Lovely Little Luxuries: Pamper Yourself With Towel Warmers
Heat your robes, dry delicates and wet mittens — with these warmers around, toasty treats go beyond just towels
Full Story