SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_bablabla75

How should I lay out our new living room?

Sarah
3 years ago

We're building a house to be finished later this year. I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to lay out the living room. I took some screen caps from a house with the same floorplan, so first I'll explain the space and then I'll explain my dilemma below.

The room has these lovely windows along the back (north) wall. We will not have a fireplace. Kitchen is on the right. Main entry behind the photographer.

Below, here it is from the back north wall looking south towards the front door. Again, don't forget, no fireplace. We're planning to put our TV where the fireplace is, though maybe someone here will convince me not to! Door on the left is the guest bedroom.

And here it is from the other end of the north wall. Door on the right is entrance to the master bedroom.

And here's the floorplan just for completeness because I bet someone will ask. :) North is on the left.

So below is what I have been planning. TV where the fireplace would be, furniture centered around it in the middle of the room. The thing in the top left is a small piano, but really it could go any number of places and I'm not married to it staying there. We've got some outlets in the center of the room in the floor to facilitate lamps or whatever by the furniture.

I feel like the above layout makes sense for the TV, and we are definitely a TV-watching family. I like the idea of twin couches facing each other (90 degrees from the TV), but we would never want to watch TV from those twin couches since they aren't facing the TV. Also, our TV is 60", which feels huge here in our tiny apartment but probably won't let us put the couch too far away from it. At least, until/unless we decide to get a new TV.

So here's the first problem: we've got this beautiful window on the north/rear wall, and no seating that facilitates looking at it! It's not a super fantastic view or anything, but there are some trees and it looks out over the surrounding neighborhood. I thought about putting benches in front to make it like a long window seat, but then sitting there would put your back to the windows! So that's not really solution. The location of the TV furniture means that there isn't really space to put other seating facing the window, and if we move the TV+furniture south towards the kitchen, then the TV won't be centered on that wall anymore and I think it might look weird.

The second problem is that the west walkway area behind the couch seems really empty. We'll probably frequently be walking from the master bedroom in the northwest to the hallway to the south and/or the kitchen via the southeast corner, so this will definitely be a thoroughfare. But I don't know how to make it look not completely empty. Should I put a little table on the back of the couch? Should I put one on the west wall? Am I imagining this and it's really not a problem at all, and I should just put a walkway rug down, some wall art, and it's fine? Here's another diagram in case that helps:

If anybody has advice to offer, I would love to hear it! Thanks!

Comments (8)